• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:31 PM

I have a pressure cooker that doesn't have a pressure guage. And believe it or not no one in my town carries them either.

I am having about 50% contam rate on my pcorn jars. Is this normal? Should I bite the bullet get a pc with a guage off of ebay?

#2 felixdgr81

felixdgr81

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:11 PM

In my experience with popcorn, I find that even after pressure cooking for a total of two hours, I still had contaminations, and my pressure cooker has a guage. I have found that most pressure cookers that do not have a guage, but have a "rocker", tend to start rocking at about 15Psi.

I feel it should be added that popcorn was nothing short of a headache compared to other types of substrates, like brf and rye and whatnot.

Hope that helps.

#3 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:42 PM

My contam rate for p corn was about 5% with 1 hour at 15psi using a 24hr presoak but it's hard to tell whether it's the innoculation ,the syringe or incomplete sterilization...some of the smaller PC.s operate at 10 psi --maybe a longer cook time will help....

#4 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:54 AM

I have a little Jasi that hold 4 pints.

Anyone know if it hits 15 psi?

It does PF jars well but I'm moving on to WBS and see if my success rate improves.

#5 shamrox

shamrox

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:57 AM

I don't know about your Jasi, but I recently found out that my brand new Mirro 6qt only goes to 10psi...which could explain my difficulties with Popcorn and WBS. You could have the same issue man, might want to look around for a new one, I did.

#6 Guest_karl_*

Guest_karl_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:40 AM

If its an All American cooker U can get a good price on the guage @
www.mushroompeople.com

#7 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

Pressure gauges typically have a 1/8" NPT fitting. You can get a 30 lb. steam pressure gauge at just about any local shop that repairs steam boilers. It will be half the price of buying one from AA.

#8 newflee

newflee

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:47 PM

Any pressure guage will work fine as long as it reads the proper scale and is in PSI. Pressure guages for air compressors are about 5 bucks and work fine but try to get one that has a range from 0-50 psi. That will give you enough resolution. A drill bit and tap will cost you another $10-15 if you don't have one or can't borrow one.
Just FYI I installed one on my 22 qt Mirro just for kicks and the rocker is dead on accurate. They make these things to high specs so that people don't poison themselves with rotten food.
I hate the sound of the rocker so I put a mug over top of it once it starts jiggling. This incidentally increases the pressure to 18 lbs which can be dangerous but it has a safety valve and It has never blown, so I feel ok with that.
I must say I have done probably 500 runs with the old Mirro and in my mind it is the best value for the buck. An AA stereoclave will be the next step for me....I understand there is no annoying jiggling.

One more thing....if your going to drill and tap your PC make sure you know what your doing and get it right. If you screw up, your buying a new PC.

(Message edited by newflee on February 07, 2005)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!