• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 theshado

theshado

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

I am attempting my first agar grow and so far I think I’m liking it! My question is in regards to growth speed and different styles. I have 3 things going on here and I’m not sure the order of the pictures as they are all just links as I type this:

These were all done at the same time (Golden teachers, did these all Sunday night. Used the boiled potato method for the agar)

1) I used a cut from the mushroom itself and placed it in a couple spots. It looks like mycelium is just starting around the edges of one of the pieces?

2) I took some straight from a brf jar that has colonized and stuck a piece in the middle. That piece has way more mycelium on it now than when I first put it in, but it doesn’t really seem to be spreading

3) I made spore prints and dropped a few drops in 2 of the containers. These ones look interesting as they are making shapes, but no mycelium.

Is this what I should be expecting to see for each after 4 days? Does anything look wrong here straight off the bat? Pretty stoked nothing seems contaminated yet, but won’t hold my breath on that.

6aeae8b3b5ee718bd2d058c657dbfa80.jpg0c38de6585bbbb3f9bc17f54c0991789.jpgc16b4dc0131ecb0066423e9bac5656f4.jpg880d5a82f93162ecde69ed11869e6fd7.jpg

#2 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:24 AM

Your tissue transfers dont look so well and the ending pic looks like its contaminated mycelium but I'm not sure.

It only takes 72hours for tissue to break back down to mycelium given the proper conditions (humidity, heat, gas exchange, nutrient median) after that I'd worry.

#3 theshado

theshado

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:27 AM

These stupid iPhone cameras... I swear it looked good as I took these. So, that tissue transfer was just me grabbing the middle of a little shroom I used to collect the spore samples with.

What looks like a contam isn’t actually green, that is vermiculite. All this said, with my luck it’s all contaminated anyways=D...

Also, I stand corrected. This was done Monday around 2:00 am, so 2 days later than I thought.

#4 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:26 AM

When taking clones you want the inner tissue from the base of the mushroom, it tends to be the meatiest area for taking tissue from.

Your spores are way to early, they take anywhere from 3-14days to germinate. Your homenade pda looks fine, which is half the battle.

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,541 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:56 AM

I made spore prints and dropped a few drops in 2 of the containers. These ones look interesting as they are making shapes, but no mycelium.

Those shapes look like bacteria to me.

I do see what might be good fuzz growing off of a bruised transplant chunk on the last pic but it's hard to be sure because it's a bit blurry.

• Tenderfoot and Needles like this

#6 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,290 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

Sidestreet's observations seem to be conclusive, bacteria colonies forming from infected tissue. Just part of the deal when experimenting with agar. Not a step backwards but an opportunity to learn and excell. Your agar does look good, mix a new batch and try again. I like to soak a sterile gauze with 91% isopropyl alcohol then wrap my sample before attempting to clone. I've tried other methods but isopropyl worked the best for me....
  • Sidestreet, Tenderfoot and FunG like this

#7 theshado

theshado

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

Thanks needles, I will attempt that next mushroom i pick....

So here are the results of today. Now, I know with brf tek and I see something like this in the jar, I’m toast... throw it out. What do I do with this agar? Do I see what mycelium grows from it so I can cut a piece, or should I get rid of all 4 of these?

As much as it sucks, so much better seeing this day 3 than 3 weeks in!

Also, why all the scattered white dots everywhere? I assume those are all bacteria? A good mycelium sample would grow out from the drop spot correct?

73f904fc53ecd4e6c02274ec0eaa1ef1.jpg

Edited by theshado, 01 November 2019 - 03:01 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#8 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:05 PM

The scattered white dots are green mold before it develops its green tinge.

Next time take the tissue from the inner stem near the base (as I already mentioned) dip in alcohol or h202 and you'll be golden.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,541 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:30 AM

Those plates are definitely contaminated but if you still have them you could try transferring from the fuzz on the bottom left one.

#10 Dragonkiss123

Dragonkiss123

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

Hi ya'll. First time cloning on agar and am having trouble identifying what is going on in a few of my dishes. I'm pretty sure the white is mycelium but then the other formations, I'm guessing bacteria? I haven't found any pictures that look quite like this and am wondering if I'm accidentally cloning an alien. 

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

#11 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

i am sure you have read lots posts on archives of various agar tek

https://mycotopia.ne...and bats agar

• Dragonkiss123 likes this

#12 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

Pictures 1 and 2 look very nice but I think I can see some bacteria around the edges of the container. Pics 3 and 4 are bacterial but it could just be the lighting their under fooling my eyes...

Sorry for the lack of identification

Edited by FunG, 10 November 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#13 Dragonkiss123

Dragonkiss123

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

Pictures 1 and 2 look very nice but I think I can see some bacteria around the edges of the container. Pics 3 and 4 are bacterial but it could just be the lighting their under fooling my eyes...

Sorry for the lack of identification

I appreciate your input. I transferred cups 1 and 2 to new agar and tossed the others. Onward! 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

73f904fc53ecd4e6c02274ec0eaa1ef1.jpg

Fun! I know that those plates aren't ideal, but they're still pretty, aesthetically speaking.

Here are some resources for you:

This one in particular addresses your situation:

https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1315275

Microbe:

https://mycotopia.ne...3598-agar-work/

This is my short primer:

https://mycotopia.ne...izes-agar-agar/

Edited by CatsAndBats, 10 November 2019 - 05:30 PM.

• Sidestreet and adrian118 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!