• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

In a 6QT tub, there are a dozen or so, veil open fruits and 50+ that are not.  The "ready to harvest" are growing on clusters with several that could go slightly longer.  There is not alot of room to get in there and take only the ones that are ready without disturbing several others...

Should the mature fruits be "cut" away and then close the tub back and wait for the next round to be harvested? Not sure the matures could be "pulled" away from the cluster while leaving the others?

Continue this cycle until there are just small pins left and then move to rehydrate the sub?

Thanks for any and all input.

SM

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

This is much easier if you don’t care about them dropping spores everywhere. Then you just let em go.
If you’re trying to prevent that then pull the cluster. A few mushrooms that haven’t hit peak growth or spores.
I personally try to think of clusters as one fruit though. You can try to judge when the overall average maturity of the cluster is best and pull it then.
Sometimes you can get lucky and pull a mature one off the edge of a cluster. Always prepare for the whole cluster to come though so you aren’t disappointed when it happens.
I don’t cut. That’s just me. It’ll work. But the base of that fruit body will have to come up at some point.

#3 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

I grab the stem towards the bottom and lean it away from the cluster. This will cause it to separate from the cluster and then you can twist and pull without disturbing the other ones most of the time. Sometimes I will hold the cluster still when doing this with my other hand.

#4 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:35 AM

There are so may fruits in the tub that it is near impossible to not bang around on the others to get them out.

@MisFit  Pulling the whole cluster when its at an average is probably a good idea.

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

I’d rather pull early than late. Especially after the first time seeing the mess spores make when they have been dumping for 10+ hours. Just my personal opinion.
  • crazy1, roscoe and SacredMountain like this

#6 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

I try to pick each shroom as soon as its about to tear unless I want to print. On my last flush I had a few big clusters and i tried to pick the mature shrooms without disturbing the rest in the cluster because there was still like 10 that needed more time. I just tried to get as close as possible without disturbing the rest. It did leave a little exposed stump which I think is not good because it can rot over time? But I just wanted to give the rest time to grow up a bit. Then once the rest were picked I used a fresh scalpel and tweezers to remove the chunk of mass (base of the cluster). I dried this with the rest of the shrooms, it weighed 8G wet! I have a feeling it will be more potent but have not tried it yet.

• SacredMountain likes this

#7 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

I try to pick each shroom as soon as its about to tear unless I want to print. On my last flush I had a few big clusters and i tried to pick the mature shrooms without disturbing the rest in the cluster because there was still like 10 that needed more time. I just tried to get as close as possible without disturbing the rest. It did leave a little exposed stump which I think is not good because it can rot over time? But I just wanted to give the rest time to grow up a bit. Then once the rest were picked I used a fresh scalpel and tweezers to remove the chunk of mass (base of the cluster). I dried this with the rest of the shrooms, it weighed 8G wet! I have a feeling it will be more potent but have not tried it yet.

Actually stumps create a nice microclimate for the next flush.
  • Billcoz likes this

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:19 AM

I like to try to let the smaller ones mature, just picking OR cutting the mature ones, preferably before it drops spores. The smaller pins might not grow much after a bunch of mature ones open. it seems like if I get the big ones picked before they drop spores, the smaller ones stay growing for a bit, instead of opening at the smaller size.

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,541 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:38 AM

There are so may fruits in the tub that it is near impossible to not bang around on the others to get them out.

This is a good problem to have!  In the past if I've had a few early risers in a big flush where it would be hard to separate them, I would just cut the caps off.  Easy peasy.

• crazy1 and SacredMountain like this

#10 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:57 PM

This is a good problem to have!  In the past if I've had a few early risers in a big flush where it would be hard to separate them, I would just cut the caps off.  Easy peasy.

I trimmed out the larger ones and put them to print. Next day pretty much all the others had opened.

#11 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:25 AM

don't worry if some drop spores, won't hurt anything.

#12 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:55 PM

Only thing I'd add is to make sure you pick out the stems you cut when harvesting the rest of the cluster.  Those end bits will rot and could cause issues around flush 3 or 4. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!