Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Requesting a consensus. New data to dunk or not to dunk?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:03 PM

Hello all,

By now I am sure you all know this hobby is changing all the time. I have perused the archives for a good while and read much on this subject. It surprises me how far back in time these discussions go.
My goal is to see how many of you dunk your mono tub cakes and how many of you dunk before the first flush and how many of you only dunk after the first flush. Also, what experiences have you had with any species/strains that have been found to not do well if dunked?

I am asking because as some of you know, I am new to the hobby and my latest tub (which is APE) is within a week or so of fruiting conditions. I am casing this tub since all my research on this strain indicates that this strain likes to be cased. I have never worked with this guy before so it is all new to me. I am aware of the slow fruiting times and am leaning towards dunking because of the long fruiting duration to maintain hydration.

How many of you (if you were me) would dunk and then case, or case and then dunk in between the following flushes? How many of you would not dunk at all? Is it worth the hassle to dunk a cake that is cased before every flush since the cake would need to be re-cased after each dunk? Does casing even matter after the first flush?

Keep in mind, my intentions are to learn and maybe other noobs learn with me when I ask these questions. I am aware of what is in the archives on the subject, but I want new data with today's more refined methods. That being said, I don't want to start arguments over if you do or not dunk with the other users here. I am just looking for respectful input!

Thanks!

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

I always dunk after first flush. By then the moisture has been somewhat depleted and I want the subs ready for a banging 2nd flush.

• Jinroh likes this

#3 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

I've never fruited ape or have experience with them outside of their original specimen P.E.

By monotub cake I'm assuming you mean pf cakes shredded or crumbled to verm or verm/coir. If that's what your doing then I wouldn't worry about dunking the cakes prior to or the substrate itself since if you've prepared the material right it will be at field capacity until fruiting.

If there cakes going into that bulk material then applying a casing wouldn't really matter since it is essentially just casing material it's being spawned to.

If your speaking of fruiting cakes individually in a fruiting chamber then yes, they'll benefit from dunking and rolling in vermiculite (casing) as you know ape is notoriously poor at fruiting from cakes as is, same with p.e (stabalized mutants)
  • Jinroh likes this

#4 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

I always dunk after first flush. By then the moisture has been somewhat depleted and I want the subs ready for a banging 2nd flush.

I've never fruited ape or have experience with them outside of their original specimen P.E.

By monotub cake I'm assuming you mean pf cakes shredded or crumbled to verm or verm/coir. If that's what your doing then I wouldn't worry about dunking the cakes prior to or the substrate itself since if you've prepared the material right it will be at field capacity until fruiting.

If there cakes going into that bulk material then applying a casing wouldn't really matter since it is essentially just casing material it's being spawned to.

If your speaking of fruiting cakes individually in a fruiting chamber then yes, they'll benefit from dunking and rolling in vermiculite (casing) as you know ape is notoriously poor at fruiting from cakes as is, same with p.e (stabalized mutants)

I probably need to clarify a bit. I used grain spawn to colonize coir and verm. I am referring to the whole tub as one big cake because that is what it resembles to me. I guess I am really sure what to call it. LOL What is the common term for the whole mono tub after it is colonized?

On this tub, I have no filters or holes and plan to just mist and fan three times a day.

#5 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:52 PM

I dunk everything. Even jumbo tubs. They are prepped for dunking before anything is ever grown in them.

• Jinroh likes this

#6 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:07 AM

I dunk everything. Even jumbo tubs. They are prepped for dunking before anything is ever grown in them.

I read a few methods of how to do it. Drill a hole in a corner of the tub and put the liner in and fill it with the sub. When ready to dunk fill tub with water and to drain go in through the hole with a knife and cut the liner to let the water out. Do you dunk after the second flush? Or is it even worth it?

#7 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:52 AM

I'll dunk em after the first flush if the sub/tub if it loses a noticeable amount of it's weight. More often than not they do need it after the first flush, but I have had some tubs and bags that hardly seemed to lose weight/moisture after 2-3 flushes.

EDIT- Oh yeah, as for how to dunk a bulk sub, I just fill it up with distilled water and drain it off once to give it a gentle rinse, then I fill it back to just deeper than the sub. It will float, so I weigh it down with a disk of plastic that I got from my armhole in my SAB by melting it out with a pot lid heated on the stove, giving a perfect plastic disk. 

Anyways I lay the plastic disks an the floating sub and set a heavy object on them until the sub sinks. I use 1/2 gallon jugs of water, that is enough to weigh it down but not smash the myc. 

To drain it I just hold the disk against the sub gently and tip the bin, the water flows out the holes.

Sometimes I'll soak it and some pins will pop during the soak..

Edited by Billcoz, 03 November 2019 - 02:06 AM.

• Jinroh likes this

#8 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:21 AM

I'll dunk em after the first flush if the sub/tub if it loses a noticeable amount of it's weight. More often than not they do need it after the first flush, but I have had some tubs and bags that hardly seemed to lose weight/moisture after 2-3 flushes.

EDIT- Oh yeah, as for how to dunk a bulk sub, I just fill it up with distilled water and drain it off once to give it a gentle rinse, then I fill it back to just deeper than the sub. It will float, so I weigh it down with a disk of plastic that I got from my armhole in my SAB by melting it out with a pot lid heated on the stove, giving a perfect plastic disk. 

Anyways I lay the plastic disks an the floating sub and set a heavy object on them until the sub sinks. I use 1/2 gallon jugs of water, that is enough to weigh it down but not smash the myc. 

To drain it I just hold the disk against the sub gently and tip the bin, the water flows out the holes.

Sometimes I'll soak it and some pins will pop during the soak..

I like that method... I am going to use your method. It seems easier than some of the others. Of course my tub has no holes so I will have to tip it further, but as long as I have something wide to push against the sub when I dump it I should be OK.

Edited by Jinroh, 03 November 2019 - 03:22 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:42 PM

I dunk everything after every flush.

• Jinroh and cybele like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!