• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ohmypsi111

ohmypsi111

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

Hello friends. It's now been another 10 days and still no pinning from most of my cakes in my SGFC. I had a nice bunch from 4 out of the 10 cakes but nothing from the others. I removed them, rinsed the perlite, re-dunked them and rolled in verm, still nothing. Humidity seemed ok, lighting was good, hepa filter hose and small pump pushing air 30 min two times a day and misting/fanning 3-4 times a day. So I decided to experiment. I am working on my greenhouse for this and some lions mane and decided to give this a try. See photos. Any thoughts or suggestions? Temp inside is 74 degrees. I left one side unzipped about 18 inches and when the humidty gets above 98, the fan kicks on and brings it back down. I just set this up and i'm sure it's not perfect but I can't tell if the cakes are too dry or too wet so I'm a bit lost.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4683.JPG
  • IMG_4682.JPG
  • IMG_4681.JPG
  • IMG_4680.JPG

Edited by ohmypsi111, 03 November 2019 - 11:29 AM.

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,546 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

Im not one to give advice, but Im leaning towards too dry. Perlite in direct contact with cakes? Dehumidifier keeping it below 98? Sometimes some cakes just dont like the odds, but if this same setup worked with some cakes from the same batch it could be something else. I would wait until they contaminate before tossing. Looks like an elaborate setup. Plastic does breathe a bit so keeping the moisture up is important. Do the sides fog up and/ or drip from condensation? Have you considered a cd, or other barrier between the cakes and the perlite? If you feel the perlite, is it damp?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#3 ohmypsi111

ohmypsi111

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

Im not one to give advice, but Im leaning towards too dry. Perlite in direct contact with cakes? Dehumidifier keeping it below 98? Sometimes some cakes just dont like the odds, but if this same setup worked with some cakes from the same batch it could be something else. I would wait until they contaminate before tossing. Looks like an elaborate setup. Plastic does breathe a bit so keeping the moisture up is important. Do the sides fog up and/ or drip from condensation? Have you considered a cd, or other barrier between the cakes and the perlite? If you feel the perlite, is it damp?

I had them in a SGFC until this morning with the lid on. They are on the jar lids with some verm underneath. They almost felt like they were really dry even after dunking. It's not that complex, I am just learning. I already figured out that there is no exact science to this. I had two jars that did not colonize or show any myc growth so I just set them aside on a shelf, 3 weeks later, they are colonizing and they were not in the dark, not in an incubation chamber, nothing. idk, maybe they cakes are toast. There are no visible signs of contamination

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:55 AM

Sgfc inside a Martha kills the whole idea of the chamber pulling in dry air doesn’t it. Not saying that is THE problem here. But it does seem to go against the theory of operation for the chamber.
There’s almost no way they should be dry. The perlite was rinsed and left wet?

#5 ohmypsi111

ohmypsi111

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

Sgfc inside a Martha kills the whole idea of the chamber pulling in dry air doesn’t it. Not saying that is THE problem here. But it does seem to go against the theory of operation for the chamber.
There’s almost no way they should be dry. The perlite was rinsed and left wet?

yes and it's still really wet but no pooling of water. Maybe they are soaked and I am too much of a noob to tell. The last couple of fruits had a white fuzz at the base i read that humidity might be too high.

Edited by ohmypsi111, 03 November 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

That shit is normal. Fuzzy feet is nothing to worry about.
  • FesterAddams and ohmypsi111 like this

#7 ohmypsi111

ohmypsi111

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

That shit is normal. Fuzzy feet is nothing to worry about.

I am going to get an up close pic of one of them and maybe you can get a better idea.

#8 ohmypsi111

ohmypsi111

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

@misfit   Ok, I put it back in the original setup, maybe i should have just let it be. Here are a couple pics

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4685.JPG
  • IMG_4688.JPG

Edited by ohmypsi111, 03 November 2019 - 12:45 PM.

#9 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

I don't use SGFC's but I noticed you don't have any holes for FAE or anything like the other SGFC's I've seen anywhere. My suggestion is if this doesn't work out is get you a couple 54qt Sterilite gasket tubs a 5 gal bucket some wild bird seed(WBS) and some coconut coir. I've made a couple posts about how I prep my WBS. Other than about 12-14$ per tub everything else is below the 10$range. Look up Bod's unmodified monotub tek on the Shroomery forums and while you're at it look up a good easy to follow WBS tek.

Edited by buzzkilluton, 03 November 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#10 ohmypsi111

ohmypsi111

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

I don't use SGFC's but I noticed you don't have any holes for FAE or anything like the other SGFC's I've seen anywhere. My suggestion is if this doesn't work out is get you a couple 54qt Sterilite gasket tubs a 5 gal bucket some wild bird seed(WBS) and some coconut coir. I've made a couple posts about how I prep my WBS. Other than about 12-14$ per tub everything else is below the 10$range. Look up Bod's unmodified monotub tek on the Shroomery forums and while you're at it look up a good easy to follow WBS tek.

There is a small aquarium filter that pumps air 30 min twice a day. 3-4 times a day the lid is removed for misting/fanning.

#11 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

I think the temp could be dropped a bit, not sure if it is the main problem, but I believe cubes like to fruit a little lower than 74. Also have you considered putting some sort of raised tray so the water can evap from the perlite better? so that there is a little airspace between the cakes and the perlite? I think those two things would help. and maybe up the fanning a bit

• ohmypsi111 likes this

#12 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:16 PM

You want 100% humidity until you have pin set.

• macgyver likes this

#13 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

But as much FAE as possible while maintaining right?

#14 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

When you dunked em, did you let them just float, or did you weigh them down? Maybe the cakes were packed too tight to allow moisture to absorb.

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

But as much FAE as possible while maintaining right?

Yes.

#16 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

I had them in a SGFC until this morning with the lid on. They are on the jar lids with some verm underneath. They almost felt like they were really dry even after dunking. It's not that complex, I am just learning. I already figured out that there is no exact science to this. I had two jars that did not colonize or show any myc growth so I just set them aside on a shelf, 3 weeks later, they are colonizing and they were not in the dark, not in an incubation chamber, nothing. idk, maybe they cakes are toast. There are no visible signs of contamination

They will colonize in full light, you dont have to keep them in darkness.. They will simply start fruiting with the substrate has been colonized... Having to keep them in the dark is old school and outdated.

• macgyver likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!