#1 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

Can anything be done to help me save this yote pup? I broke it off with my finger and I want to save it if I can. All advice is welcome

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191104_161700.jpg

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

It's too small to be able to last though a rooting, but appears to be a good candidate to graft. It needs to be done soon however.

If you have opuntia or pereskiopsis, those are good standard graft stock. If not, you could go onto one of your Trichocerus.....

An attempt at grafting is in my opinion better than nothing, and because it is still small, probably the only chance.

(coaching services available............ :happy:)

• Myc, crazy1, Tenderfoot and 2 others like this

#3 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:50 PM

My only real option is going to the one of the trichocereus, I have a clean environment and equipment. I also have 48bhours off to handle the situation with my full attention. I have more then plenty of the trichocereus available for this operation
  • Skywatcher likes this

#4 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:06 PM

You will be fine, I’ve saved a lot of lophophora’s with grafting,... it’s more common then you think. That one is a perfect size for a graft.
  • Sicshroom likes this

#5 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:12 PM

Thank you both for quick responses! I spent the night and collected my equipment for tomorrow, gonna let everything sit til my son is off at school and I'll make the graft. I'm thinking to use one of my best trichocereus seedlings for the root stock it this a good plan of action?

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:25 AM

I probably would not pick my best one, but one that is healthy and growing well for sure.

Make the cuts as flat as possible, and be sure to overlap the vascular rings.

I've no doubt you can successfully do this....

• Sicshroom likes this

#7 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:55 AM

So first off I got say I might of waiting to long, I was an idiot for waiting til this am as the l.w. lost more then half its size in my dry room but as you'll see I added a few drops of water to keep it from drying out. Next you'll see one of my pachanoi macrogonus seedlings about 9 months old this is what I'musing for my graft stock. The p.m. was a middle ground in all my columnar not the best but not one of the ones who's lacking ether.

Next is the cut, heres hoping that I cut far enough into the p.m. for everything to line up. The damage to the l.w. was enough that I felt only the top was able to be cut and saved there was a wound from where I broke it off and it was anything but flat.... lastly the plastic wrap I have but hands and wide fingers so I must use small tools to be gentle and I didn't think I could wrap the cacti together so I made a dome with the wrap to keep in humidity.
Thank you guys for help courage and let me know what you think the time frame of healing will be.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191105_083008.jpg
  • 20191105_083016.jpg
  • 20191105_083412.jpg
  • 20191105_083943.jpg
  • 20191105_084319.jpg

• Skywatcher likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

If you got a good overlap contact on the vascular rings, the fusing will happen within a few days. It will take a week or so for it to be well sealed. You will know if the graft has taken relatively quickly. Actually, if it does not just dry up and goes for a week you are probably good. Keep the humidity tent on for a few weeks.

:thumbs_up:

• Sicshroom likes this

#9 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

I watched a few videos and I didn't put the cutting in the middle but off center the l.w. is so small I am praying I have overlap correct but it's a waiting game now
  • Skywatcher likes this

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

How's this one doing?

#11 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:03 PM

Sadly it didn't make it, both the the scion and stock died... I neglected to graft the cacti the night I broke it and I think that delay ended my chances. Good news all my grafting stock is putting on new growth, I ordered some l.w. seeds from spain to replenish my stock. I 2 or 3 l.w. that dont look the best and I think I may use them to graft. I like this idea of getting 2 grafts off one seedling

#12 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:44 AM

Any time I have seedlings that are sick in any way I graft them immediately , idk how many seedlings I’ve saved from root rot after I over watered them.
  • crazy1 and Sicshroom like this

#13 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

Also don’t use seedlings for grafting I did it once as an experiment ment and here you can see the reason as to why it is absolutely pointless

465861010e25f418cc1c8c2beaed7c7f.jpg

As compared to
ec8760c7621c39012df40dd1c821bdf2.jpgf5f13dc46cd3b0e3815ebee5cc392b6b.jpgc40a1123728afba4d06cb8266cba40db.jpg

Pc pachanot makes for great grafting stock as you can tell, all the lophs are the same age.
  • Tenderfoot and Skywatcher like this

#14 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

Man that looks good, I'll be grafting soon

Edited by Sicshroom, 23 November 2019 - 10:26 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!