4 replies to this topic

#1 Ronico

Ronico

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

Hello everybody!

So I had some jars colonizing and thery were at a 100%. Now, as I was breaking up the grains and throwing them to the manuver, inside the jar I noticed some blacked grains in the middle of the jar that I couldent see from the outside, but these blacked grains were covered in the outside with white mycilium. I separated this part but inevitably some of these grains ended up in the bulk. Now my question is if psilocybe mycilum was capable of fighting the aparent contam and covering it so growth could continue. And if it was critical for the rest of the mycilium to grow and colonize in the bulk substrate or if these couple of blacked grains could ruin all the mycilium and the totality of the bulk.

If anyone could give me some knowledge I would appreciate it.

Good luck to all

Edited by Ronico, 04 November 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,587 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

Were the grains organic? Or are what you are describing possibly ergot infected grain that was sterilized then inoculated. Damn bro that could be a lot of things even though you thought its was a thorough description. Pics would be help for a good analysis but a topic in the correct forum may help as well. Moving it for you if you hadn't noticed yet.

Page_44-HST-Ergot-in-barley.jpg

Edited by coorsmikey, 04 November 2019 - 09:37 PM.

• onediadem, Ronico and FunG like this

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:35 AM

Is that grain out of it's original container? You are going to have to let it re-knit to see if it does spread. You will know after that. No need to waste a perfectly good sub if it is contaminated.

#4 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:42 AM

Coorsmikey you are a very informative user

Ergot also has a use in lsd manufacturing from what I'm told.
  • Ronico and Misfit like this

#5 Ronico

Ronico

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

Were the grains organic? Or are what you are describing possibly ergot infected grain that was sterilized then inoculated. Damn bro that could be a lot of things even though you thought its was a thorough description. Pics would be help for a good analysis but a topic in the correct forum may help as well. Moving it for you if you hadn't noticed yet.

Thanks for answering, I thpught a picture could have been helpful, is just I could´t take it. About my issue, I believe It's alright as I left some of these grains in the jar and they are starting to turn white, I believe it was an oxidation problem. Ill be sure in the next couple o f weeks. Ill share some photos too.  :biggrin:​ 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!