Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Manure isn't such a bad word if you think about it..

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

I have been experimenting with growing out some edible species. One grows on wood, the other on manure. This is all new to me. I found some sources for wood pellets which will do the trick for the one species, and also am thinking about them pellets of dried manure (cow, chicken and horse mix).

I have been looking around online but found that this isn't used as much as I would think in mushroom cultivation, though I can find some people who are onto the same idea. Most of the topics I found are outdated.

Do some of you have experience on growing manure loving species without using 'fresh/aged" manure - but with pellets? Or maybe you can help me out with a recipe that would be a safe bet, so to say.

I figured out some recipe I can try out, but figured maybe some of you around here have some direct experience I can learn from. Would love to hear from you if you do.

My idea so far:

- hydrate pellets up to maximum of 30% water content.
- mix with hydrated vermiculite or coco coir in a ratio of 9:1
- sterilize/pasteurize substrate
- mix with spawn in or 3:1 ratio or so..

A specific question I have to add to this:

If the manure pellets are up to 30%, wouldn't that mean I will also have to use the same water content for the hydrated verm/coco? My thinking is that if I were to mix in verm with a higher content it will ruin the consistency of the 30% hydrated manure pellets. Is my thinking correct here?

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 November 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

My reason for thinking to go for the pellets is a practical one. Easily available, stored and hygienic. But maybe, also pricey, and maybe not worth it. The species I'm trying to grow has little documentation on what it will fruit, but I have read reports of that they grow well on a 50/50 mix of cow/horse manure. That's why i thought these pellets might do the trick.

Or would it be better to just get some dried horse manure to get that live microorganisms and stuff. I can order a bag of 25+ quarts for about 7 bucks in comparison to 25 pounds of pellets for 17 bucks.

I'm not one to go out and collect some dung myself so I'm looking for some other consistent and reliable source.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 November 2019 - 01:17 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

I use horse poo regularly and have used cow... I have never tried chicken but my understanding is that it is too hot for our purposes.

#4 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

What I have seen people do is order dehydrated horse manure from shroomsupply.com

It’s like $40 for five gallons

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the reply PJ. I wasn't asking if chicken manure would be alright. I know about what you said. The mixed pellets have chicken manure mixed with sawdust, so that fixes the too hot thing I think. It is a balanced mix for gardening uses.

@Dark: I don't live I the US so please don't give tips for American mushroom suppliers.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 November 2019 - 02:12 PM.

#6 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

Ok, it’s only a supplies shop I believe, they don’t sell any spores or LC of any kind I believe?? Oh well, no prob homie!

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:30 PM

Shipping costs to Europe aren't funny.. Think I'm going to order some good old Dutch dehydrated cow manure. Horse manure is harder to get around here. I figured it would be better than using them pellets.

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 740 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

FREE ! POOP ! 

LOT'S and LOT'S of FREE ! POOP AROUND HERE !

Yaaaaaaaaaaaa...........!

• RutgerHauer likes this

#9 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:39 AM

Bezevo I would love some free poop. I just ran out and it’s getting cold idk how much longer I’ll be able to go out and collect for!
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#10 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 740 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:43 AM

POOP !i found hobby  farm  on craigs that gives it away . .donkey poo  or composted cow .  its 22  mile drive they load my pickup with a bob cat i unload with a shovel use lots poo in garden/ compost.

Edited by bezevo, 09 November 2019 - 12:44 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#11 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:26 AM

I have concluded that it would be best to go to a stable or something. Had never considered you could also grow cubensis on poop.. Had that linked with the panaeolus species. I have Pan Cyan spores in the fridge so it is high time I do this.

I made up my mind. First will order a smaller batch of composted cow manure. Getting a big load of shite from a stable or farmer would be ideal in the long run. Unfortunately I don't have the means to do that anytime soon, because of practical reasons.

It's a cool idea that you can get most of your substrate for free. Though, it is an investment in time and effort.

#12 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:04 AM

There's a kind of craigslist here especially for manure, no joke!
  • bezevo likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!