• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#321 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

Probably strain related rather than environmental. This is the grain tek thread btw.

Oh yeah... since this is Semperviva I have been locked into this thread for all things Semperviva related. I forgot about the "Mushrooms of Mexico Grow Thread". My intention was not to stomp on this thread with non grain TEK info.

Edited by Jinroh, 08 June 2020 - 02:16 PM.

#322 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:17 PM

Probably strain related rather than environmental. This is the grain tek thread btw.

Oh yeah... since this is Semperviva I have been locked into this thread for all things Semperviva related. I forgot about the "Mushrooms of Mexico Grow Thread". My intention was not to stomp on this thread with non grain TEK info.

No worries. You may want to browse this active thread:

https://mycotopia.ne...nii-grow/page-1
  • Jinroh and Tom25 like this

#323 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

Has anyone tried fresh grain right out of the jar/bag before dehydrating? I assume it would be similar to fresh fruits versus dried fruits?

• Tom25 likes this

#324 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 580 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 12:40 PM

What about tea tek, has anyone tried lemon/tea with grain?

#325 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

What about tea tek, has anyone tried lemon/tea with grain?

Yes, I have with the dried grain. I use citric acid powder though since it is shelf-stable for years. I could not tell the difference besides the obvious taste difference. In fact, that is the only way I have prepared it so far. I follow the TEK on preparation found in Don's TEK except instead of chocolate I use tea bags with a little citric acid for the extraction power it provides. I have tried it without the citric acid with no difference detected as I said. That could just mean the 20 minute simmer part of the TEK is very efficient with no additional aid needed.

Edited by Jinroh, 09 June 2020 - 01:48 PM.

• Tom25 likes this

#326 Tom25

Tom25

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:34 AM

Has anyone tried fresh grain right out of the jar/bag before dehydrating? I assume it would be similar to fresh fruits versus dried fruits?

That’s a good question Jinroh. I’d also be interested to know how fresh semperviva fruits compare with dry ones. Are they generally considered better, like in some other species? Does anyone have any experience of this?

#327 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

That’s a good question Jinroh. I’d also be interested to know how fresh semperviva fruits compare with dry ones. Are they generally considered better, like in some other species? Does anyone have any experience of this?

I am sure there are plenty of members who have. You just need to wait for one to read this post. I have yet to get this species to fruit although admittedly I am quite new to this and have only tried once so far.

• Tom25 likes this

#328 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

From mycological maestro Don Shadow, from this wonderful thread of his:

I highly recommend trying these fresh. 25 fresh grams does the trick. It is unlike any other mushroom I've had the pleasure to eat.

Also, when eaten fresh, I've found the visions to be so strong as to be a little overwhelming at times, even with eyes focused and wide open. Buckle up!

https://mycotopia.ne...rates-compared/

• Jinroh and Tom25 like this

#329 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:38 PM

I haven’t tried making tea using fresh (hydrated) grain. The fresh semperviva fruits are incredible, but very intense. As strong as wood lovers minus the body load. 25 fresh grams is not a beginner dose, but that’s just my two cents.

I’m currently doing an alcohol extraction using 3-month old semperviva barley (using coorsmikey’s tek). I should have the chance to test it out in a week. I’ll report back here.
  • Samwise, bezevo, Jinroh and 2 others like this

#330 Tom25

Tom25

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

Thanks all. Look forward to the report on your chateau-bottled semperviva extract Don. By the way, in what way in particular do you find it unlike any other shroom- I’ve heard it said by some it’s a bit cactus-like, so am I right in thinking it’s more visual than other species?

• DonShadow likes this

#331 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

I wouldn’t compare any mushroom to mescaline cacti... just not an appropriate comparison IMO. There’s no way to explain what’s different about this mushroom; it has to be experienced. You know in the game Diablo when you find a rusty mediocre sword in a skeleton’s ribcage at the beginning; it works ok, you can definitely kill some skeletons with it, but it’s just not powerful enough to do much more than that. Later on once you level up a bit you eventually find a badass unique-grade sword with gold lettering and magical powers that enable you to defeat extremely horrible demons (or hoards of angry bipedal cows). That’s sort of like the difference between cubensis and semperviva. I have nothing against cubensis by the way, I still eat them often, but semperviva is on a different level.

Edited by DonShadow, 28 June 2020 - 04:22 PM.

• Samwise, Ronald Ray Gun, Mushinist and 4 others like this

#332 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

I haven’t tried making tea using fresh (hydrated) grain. The fresh semperviva fruits are incredible, but very intense. As strong as wood lovers minus the body load. 25 fresh grams is not a beginner dose, but that’s just my two cents.

I’m currently doing an alcohol extraction using 3-month old semperviva barley (using coorsmikey’s tek). I should have the chance to test it out in a week. I’ll report back here.

I am working on alcohol extraction with Semperviva as well. I have learned quite a bit about this method so far. I am waiting a bit longer for some grain to mature and I am itching to give it a go!

• Samwise, DonShadow, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#333 Tom25

Tom25

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:40 PM

I wouldn’t compare any mushroom to mescaline cacti... just not an appropriate comparison IMO. There’s no way to explain what’s different about this mushroom; it has to be experienced. You know in the game Diablo when you find a rusty mediocre sword in a skeleton’s ribcage at the beginning; it works ok, you can definitely kill some skeletons with it, but it’s just not powerful enough to do much more than that. Later on once you level up a bit you eventually find a badass unique-grade sword with gold lettering and magical powers that enable you to defeat extremely horrible demons (or hoards of angry bipedal cows). That’s sort of like the difference between cubensis and semperviva. I have nothing against cubensis by the way, I still eat them often, but semperviva is on a different level.

Haha interesting analogy, thanks Don- I haven’t experienced Diablo or Semperviva but I get the picture! I agree no one brings back very coherent accounts of their experiences- in words that is- from the psychedelic dimension, whatever means they use to get there.

#334 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:07 AM

I will report my results in this thread as well since Don is.

Edited by Jinroh, 29 June 2020 - 10:08 AM.

#335 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

So here's a question

Since SV mycellium is active; would a LC left for the necessary time also be psychoactive?

Has anyone experimented with this?

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#336 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:11 AM

So here's a question

Since SV mycellium is active; would a LC left for the necessary time also be psychoactive?

I have done it with Semp on agar, but it was weak. Two agar plates worth gave a mild experience. My guess is it would take a fair amount of LC, and preservation would eventually become an issue. 

#337 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:52 AM

So here's a question

I don't think one would get good bang for your buck doing it this way. Psilocybin isn't biosynthesised in isolation by the fungus, but by using the precursory amino acid tryptophan and phosphorus, which are both found in abundance in grain substrates such as rice and oats, but not in agar or LC. So I think one is liable to get better results growing the mycelium out on grain.

• Mushinist, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 4 others like this

#338 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:15 AM

So here's a question

I don't think one would get good bang for your buck doing it this way. Psilocybin isn't biosynthesised in isolation by the fungus, but by using the precursory amino acid tryptophan and phosphorus, which are both found in abundance in grain substrates such as rice and oats, but not in agar or LC. So I think one is liable to get better results growing the mycelium out on grain.

I think you are right. There are no building blocks present in the agar and LC. That is why my experience was underwhelming trying the agar. Although I feel the only reason I had a reaction at all from my agar is that I do add quite a bit of supplement to it (by volume). I tried it just for fun. Definitely not worth the effort and I won't try it again.

• Samwise likes this

#339 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:52 AM

Definitely good to test these things out though! I'm actually quite impressed to hear you got effects from two agar/mycelium plates alone.

#340 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 232 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:40 PM

Curious how this turned out if you had a chance to try it!
  • Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!