485 replies to this topic

#481 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 319 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:13 PM

Ive been away for a while but I just opened up my brown rice jars that were inoculated in January with semperviva. They were sitting in a brine of metabolites but still good. I drank some of the brine and it was surprisingly sweet. I had about 4g fresh and it was a very nice feel. The rest is in the dehydrator. I wish I read that bit about exposure to blue light before I opened them up. c1328a1b0b50ef057b6abdb93297e1e9.jpga77271967bb8e7659f8b4af5b73173b7.jpgc72cc1492fd526183d14c386ec71f401.jpg
  • Sidestreet, bezevo, Moonless and 3 others like this

#482 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:57 PM

Running some rice for lions mane as we speak. Hope everyone is well. Finished with semester. Hope to be around a bit more.

• Sidestreet, Moonless, Asura and 2 others like this

#483 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:01 AM

Hello all,

I thought I would post some interesting photos. It has been a long time (life got in the way).

Some of you may recognize these bags as part of a group I made last year around this time. (Some may remember the batch).

There was a lot of discussion on how long to let them go versus how long they would live before going bad and potency... etc. 

I can't answer the potency question (yet) but I can answer how long the Semp myceliated grain can potentially survive. The proof is in the photos. These two bags are part of the group posted 6-2020, and they are still alive with no unusual colors or odors. They were stored in a closet and have not seen daylight in at least 7 months. It appears that all metabolite buildup and condensation has been absorbed. The colors are typical of what 4 month old grain would be minus any moisture. Keep in mind these bags were PC'ed and then PC'ed again a week later before inoculation to be very sure of cleanliness. I am going to let one bag continue and test the other for potency. 12 Months and still going!

SEMP OLD.jpg

SEMP OLD3.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 30 June 2021 - 10:27 AM.

• ItBeBasidia and YoshiTrainer like this

#484 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:27 PM

I dehydrated some 4 month old Semperviva grain the other day and was surprised by the loss of weight from the starting products. Just a rough observation but I started with 2lbs of dry brown rice and pearled barley. After adding water, being PCed, eaten by mycelium for 4 months then dried again. It seems like I only ended up w/1.25lbs dry, black grains. The bag was sealed, where did the .75lb go? I'm getting ready to start another bag, I plan to take better notes start to finish.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 15 July 2021 - 11:28 PM.

• bezevo, ItBeBasidia and Jinroh like this

#485 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:13 PM

I dehydrated some 4 month old Semperviva grain the other day and was surprised by the loss of weight from the starting products. Just a rough observation but I started with 2lbs of dry brown rice and pearled barley. After adding water, being PCed, eaten by mycelium for 4 months then dried again. It seems like I only ended up w/1.25lbs dry, black grains. The bag was sealed, where did the .75lb go? I'm getting ready to start another bag, I plan to take better notes start to finish.

I assume you mean weight loss BEFORE the dehydration process?

My only conclusion would be evaporation through the filter and the conversion of the liquid to other lighter compounds but that is just a guess. I should have weighed the bags at the beginning so I could monitor the weight but it did not seem like something I should track at the time (that and laziness I guess). I know how much of the raw ingredients I used in each bag weighed since they are mixed by weight anyway, but not after the bags were brought to field capacity.

I am sure those 12 month old bags easily lost half their starting weight though. 12 months is a really long time. I did not notice the weight loss in my four and five month bags just by lifting them. I am sure they were lighter but nothing like the 12 month bags which I detected as soon as I lifted them. Another thing to add is I forgot to put the bags back into their closet for a few days which exposed them to a lot of light. Their color darkened quite a bit just from a few days exposure. I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing but something tells me that was a mistake on my part. One bag has been dehydrated, the other is back in the closet. I need to remember to document these last two bags more carefully as far as potency and appearance go.

Edited by Jinroh, 20 July 2021 - 08:15 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#486 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:50 PM

"I assume you mean weight loss BEFORE the dehydration process?"

Hello Jinroh, I was actually talking about the starting weight of the dried grains before adding water and PCing vs. the end weight of the dried grains and mycelium after sitting for 4 months and then being dehydrated. 2lbs of dried grains in but only 1.25lbs of finished (dehydrated) grains. I would have guessed it would've been 2+ lbs dried, the grain + mycelium weight.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!