452 replies to this topic

#81 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 273 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

I forgot that I put a little hardwood sawdust with the grain when the jar was inoculated, so I got some extra fiber. From that little bit of fresh cyan grain, I felt the initial giddiness and ticklish gut, but went no further. All day I was more appreciative, philosophical and 'sensual'. I felt sharp.

I definitely think cyans are candidates. I am going to try 3 tablespoons dry powder weds or thurs to confirm it.
  • Samwise, Moonless, Asura and 2 others like this

#82 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 12:57 AM

Awesome :smile:

I've got, what I'm told, is Psi. cyan on plates and in jars but given how many pictures I've seen of Galerinas growing near cyans I'm not brave enough to eat mycelium from a print I didn't take :laugh:

Its too bad I'm not that brave, I've got 10 monokaryote candidates that will be tested in my scope by the end of the month. If Psi. cyan. mycelium is meaningfully active I could test monokaryotic lines before breeding them. Imagine the implications!

With luck I'll be doing that a year from now after a successful grow.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#83 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

This is very interesting! Wouldn't it be great to skip the substrate/colonization and fruiting and go straight from colonized grain to end product! The chance for contamination has to be lower if the spawn never leaves the jar.
I have lurked this thread for a few days researching Ps. semperviva and Ps. caerulescens and possible sources and you are very correct about them being rare. Pretty much nonexistent from the usual vendors. I would assume that any species that was capable of producing large sclerotia in-Vetro would have the potential for the same characteristics. That being said... most of the time when I ASSume something... I end up looking like one.

• mindy likes this

#84 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

That being said... most of the time when I ASSume something... I end up looking like one.

Ha right on! Always good to test one's assumptions...I'd always assumed mycelium was not a potent enough source of psilocybin to make it viable to consume. But yes the Mexicana group of sclerotia formers are definitely worthy of investigation with this approach in mind...and if peeps are growing specifically for sclerotia on edible grain, there is no harm experimenting with the leftover grain.

I thought this was interesting...these Azurescens jars were inoculated with a pinch of colonised woodchip mycelium at the same time...the two jars on the left are rice, the two on the right are oats (also inoculated some rye grain jars at the same time which closely resemble the oat jars in terms of mycelium growth). These jars have been colonising at room temperature (along with Caerulescens, Hoogshagenii, Mexicana CN and Zapotecorum on rice and oats) and the Azurescens mycelium is definitely well in the lead...at least it is on the rice grain! Interesting as given how aggressive I've seen Azurescens mycelium to be I would have thought it would have wiped through those oats quickly. Not that surprising really but I guess it's suggestive different species may have particular differing grain type preferences.

Attached Thumbnails

• Azurescens_Rice vs Oats.jpg

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#85 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 09:25 PM

I thought this was interesting...these Azurescens jars were inoculated with a pinch of colonised woodchip mycelium at the same time...the two jars on the left are rice, the two on the right are oats (also inoculated some rye grain jars at the same time which closely resemble the oat jars in terms of mycelium growth). These jars have been colonising at room temperature (along with Caerulescens, Hoogshagenii, Mexicana CN and Zapotecorum on rice and oats) and the Azurescens mycelium is definitely well in the lead...at least it is on the rice grain! Interesting as given how aggressive I've seen Azurescens mycelium to be I would have thought it would have wiped through those oats quickly. Not that surprising really but I guess it's suggestive different species may have particular differing grain type preferences.

Different species liking different spawn seems logical to me. After all, some won't grow on certain things in the wild, they have their preference whether it be rotting wood, poop, or soil.
Since I do all of my prep with vacuum extraction now anyway and the end product is a clear liquid... I would love to get my hands on something with those characteristics. My extract looks like clear water when I am done anyway with the only addition of Hamine/Harmiline and Ginko and citric acid. I made some APE Gummi's out of it that knocked me out of the park straight to bottom of level 4 for almost 9 hours. I live in a very contamination prone environment, so between me being a novice and the fungus factory I live in, I lose quite a few tubs to contamination... especially with the real slow APE. I never have any problems until after full colonization and I start fruiting conditions... after that, it is a coin toss. Keep in mind I follow the book by testing my cultures on agar to check for piggybacking contams before I inoculate anything.

#86 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 09:42 PM

Those psilohuasca APE gummi's sound like something special! And your setup sounds interesting too. Regarding contam risk and how different species respond, I try and be on the ball and keep an eye out for signs of infection. I've noticed that some species like the Hoogshagenii seem better at holding off against moulds than Cubensis say. But I inoculated some previous jars with Azurescens mycelium on woodchips (which obviously weren't sterile), on a 50/50 split of whole oats and fine alder and beech wood chippings to seed an outdoor woodchip bed. The mycelium started to colonise the woodchip-grain in all the jars, but I noticed moulds spreading in the jars. I despaired, but didn't bother checking the jars then, but I felt hopes had been dashed. I came back to the jars later and found all 8 jars were full of thick, white rhyzamorphic mycelium...it had ripped through everything in its path...oats, woodchips, moulds and all...I've never heard of mycelium acting in such an aggressive way as this when it comes to moulds. While this species requires lower temperatures and moist conditions to fruit, its mycelium grows very well at room temperature, and given the potency of the mushrooms I'm curious as to how the mycelium will stack up.

• Jinroh likes this

#87 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:10 PM

Those psilohuasca APE gummi's sound like something special! And your setup sounds interesting too. Regarding contam risk and how different species respond, I try and be on the ball and keep an eye out for signs of infection. I've noticed that some species like the Hoogshagenii seem better at holding off against moulds than Cubensis say. But I inoculated some previous jars with Azurescens mycelium on woodchips (which obviously weren't sterile), on a 50/50 split of whole oats and fine alder and beech wood chippings to seed an outdoor woodchip bed. The mycelium started to colonise the woodchip-grain in all the jars, but I noticed moulds spreading in the jars. I despaired, but didn't bother checking the jars then, but I felt hopes had been dashed. I came back to the jars later and found all 8 jars were full of thick, white rhyzamorphic mycelium...it had ripped through everything in its path...oats, woodchips, moulds and all...I've never heard of mycelium acting in such an aggressive way as this when it comes to moulds. While this species requires lower temperatures and moist conditions to fruit, its mycelium grows very well at room temperature, and given the potency of the mushrooms I'm curious as to how the mycelium will stack up.

I have had that happen as well with mold in my jars. Sometimes the Myc would overrun the mold and sometimes not. The APE seemed to be the toughest during colonization of the jars while Golden Teacher seemed to have a harder time fighting it off. Of course, that could just be the genetics that I have.

#88 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 445 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:07 PM

Wasn't sure I was going to post this, but what the hell.

I had to go out of town for five days so I moved a 1 month old bag of pan cyans into a closet while I was gone.

When I came home today and pulled it out, it was bruising blue everywhere. 

Not sure what that means, but it's just a little more info. I'm going to let it go for another month.

#89 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:13 PM

Wasn't sure I was going to post this, but what the hell.

I had to go out of town for five days so I moved a 1 month old bag of pan cyans into a closet while I was gone.

When I came home today and pulled it out, it was bruising blue everywhere. 

Not sure what that means, but it's just a little more info. I'm going to let it go for another month.

I had that happen to a jar I was trying In-Vitro with. After a little research, I found that one cause could be a lack of moisture. I added more moisture and it cleared up about 20% but never really went away. I still got some fruits out of it anyway. Not trying to say that is what is up with yours. Just sharing.

• Asura likes this

#90 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 273 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

Bioassay #2

3 heaping tsp powdered cyan grain

5 heaping tsp lions mane powdered fruit body.

All put into a mug of breakfast tea
  • bezevo, Asura and Jinroh like this

#91 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 273 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:29 PM

About 45 min later, I added another 8 heaping tsp of cyan powder to tea.

As of now I only feel very light effects. Im simmering 6 tbsp of grain for 20 min now and am going to try that in ginger tea in a bit.
  • DonShadow and Jinroh like this

#92 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:27 PM

About 45 min later, I added another 8 heaping tsp of cyan powder to tea.

As of now I only feel very light effects. Im simmering 6 tbsp of grain for 20 min now and am going to try that in ginger tea in a bit.

So we can safely assume that Pans have actives in it's mycelium? I am just now preparing for my first pan grow. There has to be a catch here. What is the colonization rate compared to cubes? I am guessing it is much longer?

#93 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

Also,

Gonna sacrifice a U.K. Psi. Cyanescens on millet jar for the cause.

It's already bluing from over consolidation.

1b8962c5dac5498eefc5112e5ae4ea47.jpg

Pretty sure ItBeBasidia is consuming Psilocybe cyanescens mycelium, not Panaeolus cyanescens. I would encourage folks who are trying this with species other than Ps. semperviva to let the mycelium incubate for 3-4 months before sampling.

Edited by DonShadow, 28 December 2019 - 10:01 PM.

• bezevo and Jinroh like this

#94 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

Also,

Gonna sacrifice a U.K. Psi. Cyanescens on millet jar for the cause.

It's already bluing from over consolidation.

&&0){for(var>)throw>

Pretty sure ItBeBasidia is consuming Psilocybe cyanescens mycelium, not Panaeolus cyanescens. I would encourage folks who are trying this with species other than Ps. semperviva to let the mycelium incubate for 3-4 months before sampling.

So there is the catch I was asking about. 3 to 4 months before she is ripe!

#95 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:50 PM

Ps. semperviva is potent at 2-3 months. It takes longer than that to grow the fruitbodies. I suggested incubating species that haven’t been tested yet for a longer duration because some species (e.g. Ps. caerulescens) seem to begin producing psilocybin/psilocin later than Ps. semperviva. Testing too early might give a false impression of the potential potency.
  • Samwise, Jinroh and mindy like this

#96 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 11:31 PM

i read a scientific study of half dozen cube types mycelium all tested negative . i wonder if they tested them to soon ?

--+

• Jinroh likes this

#97 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 11:44 PM

i read a scientific study of half dozen cube types mycelium all tested negative . i wonder if they tested them to soon ?

--+

According to this doc by Hamilton's pharmacopea, the largest truffle farm in the world (Holland) keeps their product in the nursery for 5 months.

[Direct Link]

• DonShadow and clumsy like this

#98 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:42 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how experienced sclerotia folks will fare with this tek. Ps. semperviva grain brewed in tea is on par with the fruitbodies, and the fruits are the best I’ve ever had. My experience with sclerotia is minimal, not enough to get a real impression. I’ve heard reports from a few people that sclerotia are not very pleasant, even causing nausea and throat irritation. I’ve noticed nothing of the sort with Ps. semperviva grain tea, particularly when using whole oats or barley.
  • Samwise and Jinroh like this

#99 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:49 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how experienced sclerotia folks will fare with this tek. Ps. semperviva grain brewed in tea is on par with the fruitbodies, and the fruits are the best I’ve ever had. My experience with sclerotia is minimal, not enough to get a real impression. I’ve heard reports from a few people that sclerotia are not very pleasant, even causing nausea and throat irritation. I’ve noticed nothing of the sort with Ps. semperviva grain tea, particularly when using whole oats or barley.

I have never had truffles (of the active kind). To be honest, they do not look very appetizing to me either (call me a wuss). They would not work for the way I prepare my shrooms for consumption anyway since I do extractions and those look like they would be problematic to filter. But colonized grain would work better than working with the fruits for the same reasons.
I would love to try Ps. semperviva, I know nothing about them and only recently learned of them by searching for Myceliated Grain TEK. What I HAVE learned is that spores of this species are next to impossible to find in the usual way.

Edited by Jinroh, 29 December 2019 - 06:56 AM.

#100 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 924 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:54 AM

I forgot that I put a little hardwood sawdust with the grain when the jar was inoculated, so I got some extra fiber. From that little bit of fresh cyan grain, I felt the initial giddiness and ticklish gut, but went no further. All day I was more appreciative, philosophical and 'sensual'. I felt sharp.

I definitely think cyans are candidates. I am going to try 3 tablespoons dry powder weds or thurs to confirm it.

So by your statement can I assume that you dehydrate the colonized grain and grind it into a powder? I really like that idea!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!