• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:41 PM

Ok, appreciate the clarification.  Will pour boiling water over vs. bringing it all to a boil.  If that makes the difference, great, if not, I know to investigate further.  Cheers.

#122 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:32 AM

Ok, appreciate the clarification.  Will pour boiling water over vs. bringing it all to a boil.  If that makes the difference, great, if not, I know to investigate further.  Cheers.

No, that is not what I meant. You pour your hot LC water mixture into the jar and then lightly screw on the lid leaving it slightly loose to allow pressure to escape. When done heating it will seal as it cools. You heat your just filled LC jar in a pot of gently boiling water for 20 minutes. Make sure the jar is on something where it will not touch the bottom of the pot or it could crack. It also helps to put something heavy on your jars to keep them from floating and falling over and getting ruined.

Edited by Jinroh, 15 January 2020 - 12:48 AM.

#123 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

Ok, appreciate the clarification. Will pour boiling water over vs. bringing it all to a boil. If that makes the difference, great, if not, I know to investigate further. Cheers.

No, that is not what I meant. You pour your hot LC water mixture into the jar and then lightly screw on the lid leaving it slightly loose to allow pressure to escape. When done heating it will seal as it cools. You heat your just filled LC jar in a pot of gently boiling water for 20 minutes. Make sure the jar is on something where it will not touch the bottom of the pot or it could crack. It also helps to put something heavy on your jars to keep them from floating and falling over and getting ruined.

Are you suggesting this as an alternative to pressure sterilization? I definitely wouldn't recommend that. All you need to do is dissolve the malt and corn syrup in the jar with a measured quantity of boiled water, place LC lid on and sterilize at 15PSI for 20mins. Pressure escapes through the filter so tightening the lid is fine.
  • Shroomn likes this

#124 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Ok, appreciate the clarification. Will pour boiling water over vs. bringing it all to a boil. If that makes the difference, great, if not, I know to investigate further. Cheers.

Are you suggesting this as an alternative to pressure sterilization? I definitely wouldn't recommend that. All you need to do is dissolve the malt and corn syrup in the jar with a measured quantity of boiled water, place LC lid on and sterilize at 15PSI for 20mins. Pressure escapes through the filter so tightening the lid is fine.

I boil my empty jars for 15 minutes just like I am canning carrots from my garden. Then I take the already heated karo/water solution and pour into the hot jars just like canning my carrots. Then I boil the jars in my canning pot with them sitting on the canning rack so they do not touch bottom. I only fill my jars half way so there will be some air in the jar after boiling for 20 minutes and the jars self seal once they cool. My LC jars do not have filters.
I have never had contamination that way. However I have carmelized my LC in a PC. I do it this way to prevent that from happening since a boiling bath won't get hot enough at zero pressure to caramelize the sugars, but will get hot enough to kill bacteria and spores.
I was not recommending my method to anyone. I was just describing how I do it.
The member "Shroomn" misunderstood my description on how I do mine. I was just clarifying it because he got it wrong. I was not saying the way I do it is better than any other way of doing it.

Edited by Jinroh, 15 January 2020 - 04:14 PM.

#125 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:36 PM

I definitely would not recommend doing it that way, particularly for this TEK. Pressure sterilization is the only way to ensure proper sterilization and elimination of toxins. As the TEK suggests, fractional sterilization (repeated boiling over the course of three days) works, but I'll be removing that suggestion from later editions of the TEK as others more knowledgeable than myself pointed out that there is still a small potential for certain toxins to remain in the solution even if all fungi and bacteria have been eliminated. The technique you suggested is not sterilization, and would only work for canning if vinegar is used. For this TEK your starting solution has to be perfect, or you risk contaminating all the material you will ultimately consume.

As for caramelization of sugars; I have never once had that problem when pressure sterilizing LC made with malt sugar and corn syrup for 20 minutes at 15PSI. If the sugars caramelized, you've either cooked too long or at too high a pressure.

Edited by DonShadow, 15 January 2020 - 04:38 PM.

• Samwise, Shroomn and Jinroh like this

#126 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

I definitely would not recommend doing it that way, particularly for this TEK. Pressure sterilization is the only way to ensure proper sterilization and elimination of toxins. As the TEK suggests, fractional sterilization (repeated boiling over the course of three days) works, but I'll be removing that suggestion from later editions of the TEK as others more knowledgeable than myself pointed out that there is still a small potential for certain toxins to remain in the solution even if all fungi and bacteria have been eliminated. The technique you suggested is not sterilization, and would only work for canning if vinegar is used. For this TEK your starting solution has to be perfect, or you risk contaminating all the material you will ultimately consume.

As for caramelization of sugars; I have never once had that problem when pressure sterilizing LC made with malt sugar and corn syrup for 20 minutes at 15PSI. If the sugars caramelized, you've either cooked too long or at too high a pressure.

I guess I have been really lucky then. I only did it the way I described due to me ending up with dead LC that would not support any mycelium growth.
I guess my success with that method is setting me up for failure eventually. LOL

I do not use malt at all, that may be another reason why I have not had failure yet.

I certainly would not want to ruin a rare and hard to get spore print with a sketchy LC procedure... I won't be doing that with your TEK, that is for sure.

Edited by Jinroh, 15 January 2020 - 05:40 PM.

• Shroomn likes this

#127 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Well Jinroh, my failure is your success.  Cheers.

#128 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:55 PM

Well Jinroh, my failure is your success.  Cheers.

By that do you mean you already failed? How do you know that already?

I test my LC on three separate agar plates and watch growth for at least three weeks looking for contamination the whole time. Then and only then would I consider an LC safe to use... regardless of the method of preparation.

#129 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:08 PM

Sorry, brother.  Was only referring to my misunderstanding of your post that led to the healthy exchange with Don...appeared he helped you identify a way to improve your LC, but hey, sounds like what you are doing is working for you.  Appreciate your diligence with agar, I finally realized the necessity of that recently.

#130 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:30 PM

Sorry, brother.  Was only referring to my misunderstanding of your post that led to the healthy exchange with Don...appeared he helped you identify a way to improve your LC, but hey, sounds like what you are doing is working for you.  Appreciate your diligence with agar, I finally realized the necessity of that recently.

I see... Don brings up a good point. I was following the sanitation protocol for brine canning. I forgot that boiling only works with brine canning where the brine plays an important role in controlling contamination since it is an acid. The same protocol does not work with water canning or no brine canning. That requires Pressure Cooking. So I think I have been really lucky up till now. I better spend more time perfecting my pressure cooker technique and less time on my boiling technique.

Edited by Jinroh, 15 January 2020 - 06:52 PM.

• Shroomn likes this

#131 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:43 PM

This is a jar of zapotecorum that I inoculated with an agar wedge on 12/22. 

zap-rice.jpg

Not sure if there is anyone around that is interested in fruiting these,

but they seem to love brown rice. That jar was fully colonized in 2 weeks

and was solid white (looking a little janky now for sure).

There's a guy I know that grows them and he did a round on cased BRF top

fruited from half pint jars. Did the whole thing in a mono and had a decent

yield too.

• coorsmikey, Samwise, Moonless and 2 others like this

#132 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:38 PM

zapotecorum interesting mushroom ,recently watched  a  you tube vid of  Allen Rockefeller inmexico

• Asura likes this

#133 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

Nice Asura. I found the Zapotecorum to be a slow starter when germinating the spores on agar, but once it got going it grew really vigorously. Intrigued to see how the mycelium grain will stack up in comparison to the Hoogshagenii. I would love to try fruiting the mushrooms myself sometime, they seem to be highly regarded and sound very potent indeed.

• bezevo, Asura and Jinroh like this

#134 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:59 PM

Great Tek write up DonShadow, thank you for sharing, love the concept!

#135 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:18 PM

Hey Don, I just read your TEK for the third time. LOL, I just now realized that your instructional of sending colonized agar by mail was to your mother.

LOL! You truly are a loving son! And your mother certainly must be very happy and special! The humor of that card did not escape me.

• Samwise and Asura like this

#136 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:45 PM

Jinroh, that reminds me!

I sent some wedges to someone in Canada using this method and they survived. They

weren't in the best shape, but the guy was able to transfer and get up and running

without any problems.

And LOL about sending wedges to mom. I missed that part. 

• Jinroh likes this

#137 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:48 PM

Jinroh, that reminds me!

I sent some wedges to someone in Canada using this method and they survived. They

weren't in the best shape, but the guy was able to transfer and get up and running

without any problems.

And LOL about sending wedges to mom. I missed that part. 

That is cool! If you ever need to test your method again feel free to test it out with me! LOL

Edited by Jinroh, 02 February 2020 - 11:48 PM.

#138 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:16 AM

Another great read on Mycotopia.

https://mycotopia.ne...agic-mushrooms/

The part that may pertain to this thread concerns certain P. Cubensis mycelium. Apparently they are high in MAO inhibitors?

"P. cubensis FSU12410 mycelia and carpophores were used to
quantify the concentration of 4, i.e., the major β-carboline in the
fungal biomass (Figure 1C, Table S2). While mycelia showed a
concentration of 21 µg g–1 dried biomass, we found a 100-fold
lower concentration in the carpophores (0.2 µg g–1). Sclerotia of
P. mexicana contained 1.4 µg g–1 4 and 1.6 µg g–1 5. Next, we
used MALDI imaging to investigate the spatial distribution of 4 in
fungal mycelium. An actively growing P. cubensis culture was
screened for a compound with m/z 183.1 (± 0.7) Da, which
corresponds to 4 (Figure 3). The signals of maximum intensity
localized to the hyphal tips while more mature areas showed low
abundance."

#139 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:31 AM

My mother has been taking Lion’s Mane for a few weeks now and has noticed a big improvement in her violin playing. She is learning to play an extremely difficult piece by Tchaikovsky, which she never thought she would be able to play. She is hesitant to try microdosing psilocybin grain, but my dad has experienced major relief from depression microdosing grain prepared in this way.

This technique is great to pass along to friends and family because it’s so easy to learn. My dad would never have the time or patience to devote to growing mushrooms but he was easily able to follow this tek and will soon have his own microdosing stash.
  • Samwise, Moonless, Asura and 2 others like this

#140 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:04 AM

My mother has been taking Lion’s Mane for a few weeks now and has noticed a big improvement in her violin playing. She is learning to play an extremely difficult piece by Tchaikovsky, which she never thought she would be able to play. She is hesitant to try microdosing psilocybin grain, but my dad has experienced major relief from depression microdosing grain prepared in this way.

This technique is great to pass along to friends and family because it’s so easy to learn. My dad would never have the time or patience to devote to growing mushrooms but he was easily able to follow this tek and will soon have his own microdosing stash.

Your backstory to that card image makes it even better! Really cool! And I thought you were joking in your TEK write up!
Lion's mane is on my list of things to grow. I have to admit I want to grow it because it tastes amazing, although any of the benefits for me physically are sorely needed. LOL

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!