• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#161 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

I assumed 100 was enough. 200 seemed like it would be uncomfortable. I haven’t taken Niacin in years though. Thanks for the input.

#162 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

And about 5 tsp of lions mane powder was the norm? Was hoping I could pack it in the gel cap. So much for that.

#163 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

Yeah I think 100mg niacin should do the job. I've been using lion's mane powder by the heaped teaspoon per serving personally.

#164 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

Not sure how serious to take this but I did just stumble on this.
Some pretty good evidence to move toward my own set up.

https://youtu.be/3B9Rqr_3EcY
  • Jinroh likes this

#165 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

Yes valid concerns raised there I think...so much better to grow one's own than buy supplements of questionable quality.

• DonShadow likes this

#166 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 422 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:35 PM

I don’t take the Niacin every time personally. I take 200 mg when I do, and it definitely wakes up the nervous system. Personally I think it’s a bit excessive throwing all of these stimulating materials at the body all at once. I would recommend taking it slow, trying one thing at a time and see how your body reacts to each substance, gradually increasing or decreasing the dose as you see fit. As of now I take 1 heaping teaspoon of lion’s mane rice 4-5 days per week. I take 1/8th tsp of 3-month semperviva rice 3-4 days staggered throughout week, and niacin 2-3 times per week. I don’t stick to a strict schedule, I just listen to the bod and do what it wants.

I think that raw cacao deserves more cred here and I would actually recommend it as part of the stack. As a replacement for other caffeinated beverages alone it is a huge hit, but as a dietary supplement it seems to have enormous potential. I drink it every day and I love how it makes me feel. I can get raw beans here for about half the price of coffee, so I see no reason not to consume it every day. YMMV, listen to what your body is telling you and don’t push things on it just because some shady low-life on a drug forum told you to hahaha

Thanks for all your contributions folks, this thread is awesome and so are you.
  • Samwise, Moonless, Misfit and 3 others like this

#167 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

Not sure how serious to take this but I did just stumble on this.
Some pretty good evidence to move toward my own set up.

[Direct Link]

Wow... I learned a lot from that video. I bet that raised the hackles of the Stamets community! I am almost ready to start growing my own Lions Mane. However, I am growing it merely because I think it has a wonderful flavor.

• Misfit likes this

#168 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

I don’t take the Niacin every time personally. I take 200 mg when I do, and it definitely wakes up the nervous system. Personally I think it’s a bit excessive throwing all of these stimulating materials at the body all at once. I would recommend taking it slow, trying one thing at a time and see how your body reacts to each substance, gradually increasing or decreasing the dose as you see fit. As of now I take 1 heaping teaspoon of lion’s mane rice 4-5 days per week. I take 1/8th tsp of 3-month semperviva rice 3-4 days staggered throughout week, and niacin 2-3 times per week. I don’t stick to a strict schedule, I just listen to the bod and do what it wants.

I think that raw cacao deserves more cred here and I would actually recommend it as part of the stack. As a replacement for other caffeinated beverages alone it is a huge hit, but as a dietary supplement it seems to have enormous potential. I drink it every day and I love how it makes me feel. I can get raw beans here for about half the price of coffee, so I see no reason not to consume it every day. YMMV, listen to what your body is telling you and don’t push things on it just because some shady low-life on a drug forum told you to hahaha

Thanks for all your contributions folks, this thread is awesome and so are you.

Thanks for all the great info and support Don. You can buy raw cacao beans locally at half the price of coffee beans!!? Damn you are lucky!

• Moonless likes this

#169 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 422 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

Yeah we have these things called “Bulk Barns”, which are basically warehouse sized candy stores on steroids, total decadence. But, they are amazing for things like spices, dried foods and dietary supplements. They’ve also implemented a program so you can bring your own reusable containers in and avoid using bags, which is a fairly progressive move for a corporate chain. I suspect there may be some inexpensive options for cacao online if you poke around a bit. Elfstone has pointed out this site, which seems to have some good options for those of you in the US: https://chocolatealchemy.com/

Since I’ve quit drinking and smoking, I have more money to spend on things like raw cacao, which I see as an investment in health and personal development, just like any other food, so I don’t mind the cost. I even budget for high-quality bars of chocolate, because they are portable and make a good snack. I’m not sure how accessible good chocolate is on the east coast of the US or the Midwest, but definitely on the west coast in places like Oregon, Washington and California good chocolate is easy to come by. If you want to order online, Casa Luker is a great distributor of affordable quality single-origin chocolate. I’ve found and tried most of their stuff and it’s very good. https://www.lukerchocolate.com/
  • Samwise, Moonless and Jinroh like this

#170 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

I suspect freezing would work fine. It’s easy enough to inoculate large quantities of this stuff so you can always make up a big batch of jars and preserve/consume each in various different ways. I’ve already done this to test the potency at various time intervals, and I’ve also tested the potency and ease of preparation of several species of grain. I found barley and oats to be the most potent, easiest to prepare and easiest on the body. Ps. semperviva was most potent at 3 months incubation. Also, the member that inspired this tek pointed out that Ps. caerulescens needs 3-4 months incubation time to be sufficiently potent. I and Samwise have only tested it at 2 months, and found it to be very weak. I have more caeru material incubating and it’ll reach the three month mark soon. Once all of these kinks are ironed out I’ll revise the tek.

Maybe I’m unclear on the benefit of isolating and testing monokaryotic strains? Personally I care less about fiddling around trying to maximizing potency and more about actually consuming the material, which I don’t find to be lacking whatsoever in potency even when using a multispore strain with no attempt at strain selection. Again, I’m not trying to deter experimentation, I’d be interested to hear what you come up with.

As everyone knows I am a noob, but isn't oxygen (regular air that we breathe) the primary oxidizer of the actives? I know that the absorbed oxygen in the water will ruin tea if the water is not boiled first so I assume that oxygen is the main enemy here? And if that is the case, wouldn't storing the grain under vacuum be a good way to preserve potency?

Edited by Jinroh, 24 February 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#171 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

Yeah we have these things called “Bulk Barns”, which are basically warehouse sized candy stores on steroids, total decadence. But, they are amazing for things like spices, dried foods and dietary supplements. They’ve also implemented a program so you can bring your own reusable containers in and avoid using bags, which is a fairly progressive move for a corporate chain. I suspect there may be some inexpensive options for cacao online if you poke around a bit. Elfstone has pointed out this site, which seems to have some good options for those of you in the US: https://chocolatealchemy.com/

Since I’ve quit drinking and smoking, I have more money to spend on things like raw cacao, which I see as an investment in health and personal development, just like any other food, so I don’t mind the cost. I even budget for high-quality bars of chocolate, because they are portable and make a good snack. I’m not sure how accessible good chocolate is on the east coast of the US or the Midwest, but definitely on the west coast in places like Oregon, Washington and California good chocolate is easy to come by. If you want to order online, Casa Luker is a great distributor of affordable quality single-origin chocolate. I’ve found and tried most of their stuff and it’s very good. https://www.lukerchocolate.com/

I can get quality chocolate here on the East coast but like the beans, very expensive. Well, I guess "expensive" is a relative term. For a retired person on a fixed income I find it "expensive".

#172 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

Yeah I think 100mg niacin should do the job. I've been using lion's mane powder by the heaped teaspoon per serving personally.

My father is on Niacin under the order of his doctor. In the beginning, his prescription gave him bad hot flashes. He has since found an over the counter type called Slo-Niacin. He said he does not have any symptoms with that. I am not sure how valid my comment is on this subject, I just thought I would mention it as a possibility for those who have that reaction to regular Niacin.

#173 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:23 PM

So what do you guys think about using a mixture of red and white wheat berries as a spawn nutrient for the Semperviva? I have been using it for other strains for the past 5 months or so. It seems to colonize just as good as rye berries with other strains. I only ask because a have 100 pounds of it and I will use that rather than buy additional millet if that will work just as well?
Has anyone used wheat berries before as a nutrient... for any strain?

#174 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:55 PM

My father is on Niacin under the order of his doctor. In the beginning, his prescription gave him bad hot flashes. He has since found an over the counter type called Slo-Niacin. He said he does not have any symptoms with that. I am not sure how valid my comment is on this subject, I just thought I would mention it as a possibility for those who have that reaction to regular Niacin.
I am pretty sure the non-flushing niacin bypasses the key reason you’d take niacin to start with. That is the same thing isn’t it?

#175 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 422 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:21 PM

Wheat berries will work fine. I’ve tried making tea with wheat a couple of times, but I found it to be a bit unpleasant in the body. So far whole barley and whole oats are the easiest on the body when doing water extraction.
  • Samwise and Jinroh like this

#176 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:29 PM

Wheat berries will work fine. I’ve tried making tea with wheat a couple of times, but I found it to be a bit unpleasant in the body. So far whole barley and whole oats are the easiest on the body when doing water extraction.

I understand. I will go with what I have and if I do not like how it feels I will switch to millet.

#177 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:44 PM

I am pretty sure the non-flushing niacin bypasses the key reason you’d take niacin to start with. That is the same thing isn’t it?

I can only assume it is the same as non-flushing niacin. He has to take niacin to help offset the side effects of taking a Statin for high cholesterol. I was thinking the niacin used in this topic was similar as using an MAOI to potentiate the effect of the actives. I know I have found by my own experimentation that a dose of 250mg of Harmine/Harmaline HCL took my experience to another level. I use it in my gummy candy recipe. If you are trying to increase potency of the grain, I guarantee this compound works because I tried it with two batches identical of gummies. One batch had just actives and the other batch had the HCL added. The batch with the HCL was easily twice as strong. By 250mg I mean 250mg per dose of actives. I found out about this compound because a friend of mine told me that it increases and lengthens the DMT experience. I decided to try it with cubes and it definitely worked.

EDIT: You either have to take this by putting it in a capsule or have it combined into a large amount of material like candy. By itself as a raw powder, it is easily one of the foulest tasting things I have ever had.

https://www.ebay.com...tUAAOSw0Uhc89un

Edited by Jinroh, 24 February 2020 - 11:02 PM.

#178 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:49 PM

I was talking about microdosing with niacin and lions mane. I read an article that stated the niacin needs to be the flushing type.
The grain TEK would only be utilized for the lions mane for my case.
Sorry for any confusion.

#179 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:28 PM

I was talking about microdosing with niacin and lions mane. I read an article that stated the niacin needs to be the flushing type.
The grain TEK would only be utilized for the lions mane for my case.
Sorry for any confusion.

No worries, I probably got confused. I do it more and more these days.

#180 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:29 PM

Totally get it. There is a lot going on in this thread also.
  • Jinroh likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!