71 replies to this topic

#1 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

Hey All,

Last year I grew out two varieties from prints, AA+ and Texan, which were gifted to me by a couple of members, thank you.

I used the basic pf-tek and had a few great runs on both with great flushes. Dried with a basic Presto dehydrator which did not have a heat setting/control.

In the end I found that the potency was consistently lacking over each run and between even the two varieties. I'd say about 1/5th potency of anything Ive ever tried.

Became discouraged and stopped trying, partly due also to jus getting too busy to maintain the hobby, especially if the result isnt very great.

BUT NOW IM BACK, and i really wanna figure this out. 

So this time the main thing I'll do different is not use heat in the dehydrator by removing the heating element... but thats about it.

I just hope that is the issue. Ive read tons about heat not being an issue but im skeptical still so ill try it myself.

And outside of agar work and cloning etc, which i don't have the space or time to do, im not sure where else to look. 

Any advise, insight and especially encouragement is greatly welcome!

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,686 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

Were you weighing your doses back then? And were you taking any SSRI medication? The dehydrator should not have made a noticeable loss in potency unless they were left on there for days and forgotten or something. Good to see ya back around!

• crazy1 and PJammer24 like this

#3 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

Thanks Mikey, its nice to be back!

So yea, I've had 1,2 and 3g dry.. with some time between, weeks and months apart over the past year or so. I've also shared with friends at those amounts and can report that they experienced about the same. Which is not nothing, but not what would be expected at those doses.

The most Ive ever had in my life was 2-3 grams on multiple occasions, and all those were as fantastic as would be expected. And no, not on a SSRI. 

I cant remember specifically because i was drying tons of fruits for a while, but i do think I might have let them run over night on occasion. So probably like 8 hours max... the dehydrator is said to run at 165F, which i feel is pretty hot.

And I know its crap shoot when starting from spore print but this lack in potency has me thinking theres gotta be something Im screwing up.

#4 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

Just genetics man

If you feel comfortable with it, try adding coffee to your hydration water, the caffeine is rumored to develop stronger Akloids (,I believe that's the term for them) but yea, stronger akloids related to the strength of the psilocybin.

1g dry contains 0.01% of psilocybin but the idea is to strengthen that 0.01% using coffee..

I personally say that any substrate with a high nitrogen content produces stellar shrooms.
  • adrian118 likes this

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

8 hours is not enough to do noticeable damage. There is a prime point in the growth cycle to harvest. If you wait too long, they will not be as strong. SO if you wait until the spores drop, the mushroom is no longer as potent... The longer you take to get them dry may also play a role. A typically dry FME is for about 10 hours, some require longer, at 140F.. I dont think the extra 15 degrees would make a significant.

Edited by PJammer24, 07 November 2019 - 04:56 PM.

• adrian118 likes this

#6 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

Thanks FunG for the caffeine tip, ill read up on that.

Jammer, Im harvesting right before the veil starts to rip or sooner on most fruits, unless i miss a couple. Ill try to miss less this time around as well. And basically throwing them straight into the dehydrator.

Is there something to be said as far as the brand of BRF or verm? 

#7 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:07 PM

Just genetics man
If you feel comfortable with it, try adding coffee to your hydration water, the caffeine is rumored to develop stronger Akloids (,I believe that's the term for them) but yea, stronger akloids related to the strength of the psilocybin.
1g dry contains 0.01% of psilocybin but the idea is to strengthen that 0.01% using coffee..
I personally say that any substrate with a high nitrogen content produces stellar shrooms.

I was just going to start a thread about this very thing are there additives to help. I read someone tried adding brf to there roll and everyone said that it was pointless cuz they how out of the cake. But is there anything else and when would you add it. With coffee would you add it to the mix before jarring or spray cakes while fruiting and now a days there's super caffeinated roasts so that's interesting too.
  • adrian118 likes this

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Just genetics man

I was just going to start a thread about this very thing are there additives to help. I read someone tried adding brf to there roll and everyone said that it was pointless cuz they how out of the cake. But is there anything else and when would you add it. With coffee would you add it to the mix before jarring or spray cakes while fruiting and now a days there's super caffeinated roasts so that's interesting too.

The problem with coffee is that it greatly increases contamination risk... There is anecdotal evidence that L-triptophan will increase potency... Elon Musk seems to think so...

• crazy1 and coorsmikey like this

#9 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:23 PM

You dont want to mist or soak with coffee water.

You add diluted coffee to the hydration water prior to sterilization, that way the nitrogen, caffeine and other helpfuls are absorbed into the substrate whether it be pf cakes or grains.

The contam rate is higher if you choose to mix spent coffee grounds into a bulk substrate, that's completely different then just hydrating with coffee.

I'm convinced that it's the nitrogen boost that helps with potency, I've been using worm casings and the difference is pretty noticable but unreliable data since it is just ms genetics but I swear substrates with a high nitrogen content produce stronger mushrooms. Just my opinion
  • crazy1 and adrian118 like this

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

I will agree to an extent to your thought of higher Nitrogen can increase potency.

A long time ago there was a member here anne halonium that was a fertilizer "expert" and quite the grower honestly.

HERE is a thread testing fertilizers as additives to a sub, as in soaking grain in a fertilizer water before PCing. 

We had some fun that's for sure

Peace

• adrian118 likes this

#11 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 830 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

Not to hijack, but what was your conclusion with the Miracle ferts, Crazy1?

Kind of forgot about those threads.

• crazy1 likes this

#12 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:40 PM

You add diluted coffee to the hydration water prior to sterilization, that way the nitrogen, caffeine and other helpfuls are absorbed into the substrate whether it be pf cakes or grains.

The contam rate is higher if you choose to mix spent coffee grounds into a bulk substrate, that's completely different then just hydrating with coffee.

I'm convinced that it's the nitrogen boost that helps with potency, I've been using worm casings and the difference is pretty noticable but unreliable data since it is just ms genetics but I swear substrates with a high nitrogen content produce stronger mushrooms. Just my opinion

So, is this correct?  Adding regular morning made coffee (cooled) into the water that you are hydrating/soaking your grains in?  Then drain, boil until some grains split, drain & cool, then into jars for sterilizing?

What is the dilution ratio in your soaking water?

Edited by SacredMountain, 07 November 2019 - 11:41 PM.

#13 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:16 AM

Not to hijack, but what was your conclusion with the Miracle ferts, Crazy1?

Kind of forgot about those threads.

Hey Tenderfoot!!

The ferts did seem to help the mycelium grow thicker for sure. But from what I remember the potency was equal. But at that time I was running cultures from some very good strains that I had isolated. 

All in all it was a fun experiment 

Peace

• Tenderfoot likes this

#14 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

I think that coffee is typically included for increased yield... I havn't read much if anything about increased potency but that isn't typically a search parameter of mine.

I am not 100% but I am pretty damn sure it is the nitrogen that not only increases the yield but also the contamination risk.

• crazy1, coorsmikey and Tenderfoot like this

#15 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,781 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

Cue was also a fan of using ferts in his grow, but IIRC he used a bloom booster type, with higher levels of available phosphates.  Its been a long time, and I would have to dig it up to be sure.

• crazy1, coorsmikey and bezevo like this

#16 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

I am not 100% but I am pretty damn sure it is the nitrogen that not only increases the yield but also the contamination risk.

This I will agree with 100%

In nature you'll notice after a lightning strike, you'll find fungi in the area fruiting.

When lightning stikes it releases Nitrogen into the soil through the electro charge.

Peace

• PJammer24 likes this

#17 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:56 PM

I'd recommend hippy3tek if your looking for higher potency, I've been growing more then a few years now and I started with grains all types to find what was good for me. I ended up finding hippy3tek and decided to try it..... man it was out of this world and I now only use a modified version where I add hydrated quinoa to my mix if you want the exact recipe p.m. and I'll hook you up unless anyone else thinks they might want it and I'll post openly what I mix up.
  • crazy1, MsBehavin420 and adrian118 like this

#18 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Hey Sicshroom, are you using the super cake recipe and adding quinoa?

You hat recipe will always kick out great boomers

Peace

#19 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the tip Sic!

Do you have a link to the hippy3tek? Or the version your using?

Thanks!

#20 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:01 PM

Update on my "try again" thread.. I nocced up new cakes last night with a really dark Oakridge print i was gifted by one of you guys. Feelling god about this run, will report back when things get interesting. Thanks as always for the help.

• FunG likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!