#61 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:01 PM

Took me 14 months and moving living environments to get clean jars the house I lived in just had to much mold and I didn't have my glovebox then. Humbling is the right world for what happens here, be it threw community or consumption humidity comes if we want it or not.... as long as you keep learning everything your doing now is the sacrifice they require from us to learn they're secrets. What I learned will be different because it's only partly about what we are growing and the rest we learn is about our conditioning. I'm a culinary professional with over a decade in my trade and I used what i learned with cubes and i grow 9 edibles along side the actives and man it's nice to be at a point where I walk into the woods take a sample of a wild fruit and isolate it to agar then fruiting...
  • TVCasualty and adrian118 like this

#62 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:40 PM

TVCasualty, that comment is so very humbling to me right now.

I and many like me are so lucky to have you guys and this site. To even be able to enter into this realm at all would be all but impossible I believe without it, let alone have any success. I am definitely very much in debt to you all for the knowledge and help. You guys discovered and worked these things out on your own, without even the internet some of you! If ever there were a gif to describe my feelings in this response this would be it.

Thanks for the kind words. Repayment of the debt (which is to the site, not to me) begins as soon as you find consistent success and can start advising the next class of new growers. The things I learned here are going to take me a few more years to pay off (at least). It's easily been the best deal I've ever made for anything.

Pass it on!

• Sicshroom, adrian118, Nicked and 1 other like this

#63 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:49 PM

OP, even though it seems simple, this hobby is extremely nuanced and all of us are still learning. The ones that claim that they're not still learning are the ones that have the most to learn, IMHO of course.

i-have-no-idea-what-i-amp-039-m-doing_o_

• adrian118 and Nicked like this

#64 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:04 AM

Wait....before you throw anything out.

Is that a jar lid you're using? If it is a jar lid then your cakes are stalling out do to excess co2. No contams, I didnt see any trich or cobweb in any of those pictures, the only other thing would be bacteria but I highly doubt all three of those if you're using a lid on the jars.

Pfcakes are notorious for stalling out and that's when using the traditional tinfoil lid which allows for more gas exchange to occur.... the mushroom cultivator says p.cubensis stop there vegatative growth at 10,000ppm that's when co2 poisoning happens. You should try flipping those jars for 24 hours before you cutt your losses.....then take a black magic marker and trace out the myc (if it moves past the black magic marker line then it was a stall)

Hopefully you didnt scrap those jars before trying that old trick to drop co2, like I said, if it's a screw on lid your using then that's your culprit for the stalled cakes

Ps

You'll make a old timer cultivator a very happy man if you collect print and send me one, jeetered was a pretty good online buddy of mine, we started our adventures in cultivation around the same time, the print would have sentimental value to me.

Edited by FunG, 29 November 2019 - 06:07 AM.

• adrian118 likes this

#65 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

FunG, I haven't given up on them yet!

I am using lids, with 4 holes and a dry verm layer. These things colonized pretty fast I thought and then things jus stopped which is where I became concerned. The areas in question dont seem to have and odd coloration as the first jar did. So I was already planning on jus letting them continue and see what happens. And tbh it does kinda seem like they are still colonizing, jus at a very slow rate now. So Ill definitely give your advise a shot.

So I just flip them over onto the lids for a day? I remember reading on this once before but havent had to implement. 

#66 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Usually by the time the stall happens in a pf jar it's when they're just about finished colonizing like your jars are.

The dry verm layer should be colonized enough by now that it wont be disturbed during the flip, but yes, flipping the jars for 24-48hours was the only way I could get my cakes to finish back when I was using them. It causes co2 (a heavy gas) to roll down to the innoc holes and out of the jar.

The only thing is some people will say not to do it because it disturbs the dry verm layer but like I already mentioned when it's that late in the growth then the dry verm layer is usually colonized enough to hold together.

This is why I hate cakes, the stalling and slow growth is unpreventable....

I have 14l of popcorn that are stalled but I'll be giving those a shake in a couple of days and take a pic, they'll be finished a week and a half after I do. Popcorn should replace pfcakes since you dont need a pressure cooker for it and it yields about the same as a pfcake.
  • TVCasualty and adrian118 like this

#67 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

I haven't really thought about it much before, but it seems to me that it might be better to always incubate PF-style jars upside-down.

It would make them even more resistant to contamination from external sources since particulates settle, they don't rise.

I've been wanting to incorporate Pasteur's famous experiment into experimental ways of achieving filter-less gas exchange for simpler, more efficient growing methods that utilize fewer materials and resources.

This is the one I'm talking about, which basically established the fact that microorganisms are real (which was not always obvious):

31238509343_6dca9e62a0_b.jpg

• crazy1 and adrian118 like this

#68 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

Update: 

Jars are flipped and marked to follow growth. Plan on leaving them upside down from here out. If things do get moving *fingers crossed*,  they will remain upside down until birth. Dont wanna mess with rotating them back right-side-up, dry verm layer wasnt very compact.

• FunG likes this

#69 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

The flip seems to have worked... 

Not wanting to celebrate just yet but thanks for that suggestion FunG, you're the man!

IMG_8385.JPG IMG_8386.JPG IMG_8387.JPG IMG_8388.JPG

• crazy1 likes this

#70 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

I hope they finish up without contaminating. 

The reason I say that is flipping them made them slide down towards the lid, and when that happens there is air sucked into the jar as the space above the cake is created. That could mean contams got past the vermiculite barrier since the fact that it slid so much means the barrier was either too thin or too loosely filled. The devil is truly in the details with this stuff.

When I top my BRF jars with dry verm I toss a bunch on until it's mounded up above the rim and then lightly smack the base of the jar on a countertop to settle the dry verm (packing it tighter). When I screw the band on the verm is slightly higher then the rim since I noticed that it tends to settle during the PC run. Edit: I do this part in a large mixing bowl while wearing a dust mask (and with my kitchen range vent fan on high), that way I catch all the spilled verm and don't breathe any.

Good luck!

Edited by TVCasualty, 02 December 2019 - 06:48 PM.

• crazy1 and adrian118 like this

#71 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

You're right TVCasualty about the dry verm layer. I usually do add enough for it to sorta mound up on top that way compressing things when the lids come on. That is the way to go and a mistake on my part this time around. There really should have been much more dry verm layer.

Still hoping for the best! Lots of lesson being earned on this one for sure haha

• crazy1 likes this

#72 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:04 PM

Every grow is a lesson my friend

Peace

• adrian118 likes this

#73 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

UPDATE:

So the jars have been fully - almost fully colonized for almost a week now. I wanted to wait for more knotting but since it does feel like things have slowed again Im thinking about birthing/dunking now. That should rehydrate them good so they can get moving again in the FC correct?

Edited by adrian118, 09 December 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#74 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:08 PM

Yes, I'd definitely dunk/birth them if they've been fully colonized for a week already.

• adrian118 likes this

#75 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

That is correct, birthing and dunking them will dissipate the co2 and allow for more vegatative (recovery) growth.

The time is nigh!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!