• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Is this tub fully colonized and ready to fruit guys? Or should this colonize more? It is my first grow and the colonizeing seems to have really slowed down the past 3 or 4 days.

Attached Thumbnails

• FD53D2B8-B333-4374-BF8D-AF8BE99F0C1D.jpeg
  • 05946151-40C5-4CA5-9530-7A26BDE053A5.jpeg
  • CC5CA821-B297-47A1-96F7-DE9A5558A2B7.jpeg

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

Is it Pinning?

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

it will start to pin, "fruiting conditions" or not... It sure looks like its getting close though... It looks awfully healthy!

#4 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Is this tub fully colonized and ready to fruit guys? Or should this colonize more? It is my first grow and the colonizeing seems to have really slowed down the past 3 or 4 days.

Did you case that tub? It looks like it has been cased which is what I did on my last tub. It looks ready to go to me. It does look a little dry as well. You should start misting and fanning. I noticed the mycelium is starting to rope up the side of the tub which tells me pinning should be starting if it hasn't already.  If you have not cased it, it may need a little longer. (in my opinion).

Here is a photo I just took of a tub that I started fruiting yesterday. The material on top is just casing. The surface was solid white before I applied the casing and started fruiting conditions.

APE Cased.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 07 November 2019 - 05:26 PM.

• LegoMyego and SacredMountain like this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

Here is a picture of a tub I believe is ready to fruit.

IMG_3925.JPG

Edited by coorsmikey, 07 November 2019 - 05:21 PM.

• crazy1, PJammer24, LegoMyego and 3 others like this

#6 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

Here is a picture of a tub I believe is ready to fruit.

IMG_3925.JPG

What strain is that? GT?

Edited by Jinroh, 07 November 2019 - 05:28 PM.

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:01 PM

Are these the same tubs you alreadt posted about? When they are ready, they will fruit. That is their main purpose. To fruit and sporulate.

• crazy1, PJammer24 and Misfit like this

#8 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:48 PM

Yes it is the same GT tub. I just added a substrate later on rob when I moved it from bag to tub. So idk if that’s considered a casting layer or not. But I covered the colonized grain with substrate when I put it in the tub if that’s what your asking. I have not added any substrate since then. And ok I was jw if it would start pinning before I started fanning and misting or if I had to fan and mist after it started to pin. Thank you everyone. You guys are awesome.

#9 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:51 PM

And everyone said it looks extremely healthy but the thing is I see everyone’s mycilium growing in extremely dense and like a layer of snow. Mine is more like mycilium tendrils and doesn’t seem to be fluffing up much. And actually it’s 100% humidity in my box and is prity damn. I don’t think it’s dry at ALL. But just from what I see. There is condensation on the mycilium webbing.

#10 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:05 AM

If you’d chill out and wait it’ll get there.
  • Jinroh likes this

#11 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:46 AM

And everyone said it looks extremely healthy but the thing is I see everyone’s mycilium growing in extremely dense and like a layer of snow. Mine is more like mycilium tendrils and doesn’t seem to be fluffing up much. And actually it’s 100% humidity in my box and is prity damn. I don’t think it’s dry at ALL. But just from what I see. There is condensation on the mycilium webbing.

I was thinking it was a little dry because I saw no condensation on the sides of the tub. There might be a terminology mix-up here. It is a common mistake because I made the same mistake when I first started posting. The spawn is the fully colonized nutrient like grain or wheat flour, the substrate is what you mix the spawn into and wait for the myc to colonize it. The casing is a layer applied after colonization is complete that helps maintain moisture and acts like an additional barrier to contamination and in my case has additives to moderate acidity. If it is a tub, casing is sprinkled on top. If it is a cake it is usually rolled onto it. Casing is not used by everyone. In fact my last grow had no casing at all. I know many members do not case at all. The only reason I cased this tub is that I read the strain I am growing seems to prefer casing better than not having it.

So looking at your photo it is hard to tell if your tub was fully colonized or not because it looks like a casing may have been applied. If your tub was not solid white before you put a casing layer on then you cased too early. (These are all my personal opinions)

Just relax and wait for full colonization. There is a knack to this which I am still learning. I have had a bunch of failures while learning. That is to be expected. It takes a lot of patience.

Edited by Jinroh, 08 November 2019 - 12:52 AM.

#12 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:58 AM

I like to LEARN misfit. I enjoy the whole process as to why when how. Because the more I know the better I’ll get. I like to know why some people’s mic looks and grows differently and is there a benefit to one type of the other ect. I LOVE to learn. And mycology interests me greatly. So Ide like to say I’m def chill. Just enjoying my ride my way man. I mean the inner workings may not interest you much idk. But js. We’re all chill. No worries man. Good vibes and lots of love your way.

#13 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:03 AM

Ok well then I may not have added a casting then. I just layered my spawn with bulk substrate. The top layer was just a think layer of substrate. (Coir, virmiculite, gypsum, perlite) and if casting is something different than substrate then I def don’t have the materials and misunderstood what a casting layer was. I thought a casting layer was just another layer of the bulk substrate mix I made for the tub colonizeation.

#14 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:28 AM

I mean I like to know why too. I’m literally going to school for this stuff.
I was just saying it’s not there yet. That’s why it looks different. Give it some time and primordia will start to form.
You really don’t need to case cubes. It helps with the microclimate and evaporation which promotes fruiting, but isn’t totally necessary.
  • crazy1 and Tenderfoot like this

#15 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:19 PM

Ok well then I may not have added a casting then. I just layered my spawn with bulk substrate. The top layer was just a think layer of substrate. (Coir, virmiculite, gypsum, perlite) and if casting is something different than substrate then I def don’t have the materials and misunderstood what a casting layer was. I thought a casting layer was just another layer of the bulk substrate mix I made for the tub colonizeation.

From what I have learned so far (pros' correct me if I am wrong) the casing layer is applied once full colonization is achieved, if you put it on as a solid substrate layer right after you mix in the spawn and sub, you basically are forcing the spawn to colonize through a solid layer of substrate. This will work, but it slows the colonization way down and really has no advantage. Next time mix the spawn to a maximum of a 1:2 ratio, the first number being spawn. I tend to over do things so I mix at a 1:1 ratio which basically speeds things up but is a little on the wasteful side of the spectrum. I do not recommend using a casing at all unless you are working with APE and I only say that because of what I have read. You don't have to case anything and it will still work... casing is just another step some people like to do. I am still at the point where I don't have enough practical experience to decide if casing is worth it or not.

Edited by Jinroh, 08 November 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#16 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:55 PM

There are different types of mycelium growth. Rhizomorphic and tomentose... Rhizo growth is preferred and that is what yours looks like. The Tomentose growth is more cottony (the fluffy mycelium) and dense in appearance and is not as favorable as the Rhizo growth... Though Tomentose growth isn't necessarily unfavorable, it typically is less prolific when fruiting begins.

It looks the way it does because of genetics... Not because it "isn't there yet"... Even when it starts fruiting, you aren't going to see the fluffy myc growth you are referring to... In my opinion... The Rhizo growth, like what is seen in your photos, is the more favorable growth pattern... You should be happy it doesn't look fluffy like you expected.

Edited by PJammer24, 08 November 2019 - 02:57 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1 and coorsmikey like this

#17 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

Thank you SO MUCH JAMMER. This was amazing information and information that I was highly curious about. Thank you so much. I have introduced it just now to a red and blue spectrum light I’m going to do 12 hours on 12 hours off and I am feigning a few times and missing a few times a day. Just started
  • PJammer24 likes this

#18 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:14 PM

Pics

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#19 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

And you guys can’t see from the pictures but I’m pretty sure primordia has already started the form although not completely broken through the top layer of substrate. It looks like little pieces of cauliflower. Which at first I thought was vermiculite or pearl light but is continuing to get bigger over the last day but idk. and the thing is it looks 100% colonized but it just wasn’t getting fluffy. And it hasn’t done anything for about five days now maybe six. So basically it’s just a different type of mycelium growth and will NEVER Look the way yours has misfit because you have had different genetics which causes different types of Mycillium growth. Honestly I feel like I have let it go a little too long. I’m going with my gut. I guess I’ll find out. My apes also have extremely Rhizomorphic Mycillium growth

#20 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

Pics

That looks much better than the last pics. The light makes it hard to see for sure but it looks like there is much more colonization than the last pics. Some strains colonize real fast and some don't. Try not to expose the colonizing sub to open air until it is fully colonized, then you won't have to worry so much about contamination. I have not had any contamination of fully colonized sub... but my first tub I loved it to death by opening and peaking every day and I did get contamination.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!