27 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 02:46 PM

I see a ton of bacteria in the pic on the right and I can't tell what's going on in the first pic. There might be viable myc in both actually, but I can't show you where.

I do five plates (jars) minimum if I'm germinating because I don't trust anyone's printing including my own :tongue: !

That right plate in the second plate in the center is pretty much straight bacteria right? There's a bunch of the more innocuous looking white bubbles in most of the plates, could that just be trapped moisture once the agar hardened?

edit: I tried to get a good sample size for the first batch (need more plates!) These are from prints I took a couple weeks ago so they are fresh but might not be the cleanest

Actually, it's all trash in the pic on the right.

#22 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Roger that, gonna leave them alone for a while and see what the bubbles do. I'll probably make another transfer on the one that I've already transferred

20191111_140630.jpg

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Roger that, gonna leave them alone for a while and see what the bubbles do. I'll probably make another transfer on the one that I've already transferred

Okay, but bacteria grows at a furious clip FYI.

#24 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:35 PM

Okay, but bacteria grows at a furious clip FYI.

clip? The plate that you said is FUBAR looks bad, but 90% of the plates that I've poured have the whitish bubbles on the surface, I'll wait to see what the bubbles do I'm thinking they could be from moisture on the surface when the agar hardened initially. Should I just toss that one plate?

• CatsAndBats likes this

#25 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Toss the one and watch the others. IMHO

• macgyver likes this

#26 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:28 PM

The whiteish bubbles are green mold.

Build yourself a glovebox and ditch the sab. You're having problems with your plates already.

When I say glovebox I mean air tight no biological organisms entering from anywhere box.20191111_171637.jpg 20191111_172123.jpg

#27 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 99 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:35 PM

The original design is a glove box I just removed the gloves and clamps because it's a bit hard to move with any dexterity with the gloves attached. I'll re attach the gloves and practice with that.

and @Cat

I made the transfer and funny enough took from very close to that spot, I took two small cuts that looked the strongest and put them in new plates

Edited by macgyver, Yesterday, 06:54 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#28 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 07:20 PM

The whiteish bubbles are green mold.

Build yourself a glovebox and ditch the sab. You're having problems with your plates already.

I would never discourage anyone from improving their clean work situation, that said, I use an SAB and I have a sub 5% contamination rate.

I haven't really touched on some techniques that can improve clean work on any of my agar threads.

For example, if one is using an SAB, it is beneficial to do one's work as close to the top surface of the sterilite.

It is good practice to move quickly but mindfully. I also open my jars and turn them upside down, lid too, so that they have less exposure to the compromised air.

A thorough spraying of the inside of one's box with a mild disinfectant is also a good idea, as dust, spores, etc will stick to the sides (I said spraying... one's box :tongue: ) Cat-edit, spray it down and just leave it wet, maybe just wipe a small spot to see thru.  ;)

I use a 5% acidic solution which kills 99.99% of bacteria, and most likely ruptures mold/yeast spores as well. I use method anti-bac in particular because it also has a detergent which is a surfactant, but one could easily use vinegar with a little soap.

After I prep my box, I walk away and let all of the air inside settle.

I hope these tips help.

Edited by CatsAndBats, Yesterday, 08:51 PM.

• FunG likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!