96 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:46 PM

I see a ton of bacteria in the pic on the right and I can't tell what's going on in the first pic. There might be viable myc in both actually, but I can't show you where.

I do five plates (jars) minimum if I'm germinating because I don't trust anyone's printing including my own :tongue: !

That right plate in the second plate in the center is pretty much straight bacteria right? There's a bunch of the more innocuous looking white bubbles in most of the plates, could that just be trapped moisture once the agar hardened?

edit: I tried to get a good sample size for the first batch (need more plates!) These are from prints I took a couple weeks ago so they are fresh but might not be the cleanest

Actually, it's all trash in the pic on the right.

#22 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

Roger that, gonna leave them alone for a while and see what the bubbles do. I'll probably make another transfer on the one that I've already transferred

20191111_140630.jpg

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:59 PM

Roger that, gonna leave them alone for a while and see what the bubbles do. I'll probably make another transfer on the one that I've already transferred

Okay, but bacteria grows at a furious clip FYI.

#24 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

Okay, but bacteria grows at a furious clip FYI.

clip? The plate that you said is FUBAR looks bad, but 90% of the plates that I've poured have the whitish bubbles on the surface, I'll wait to see what the bubbles do I'm thinking they could be from moisture on the surface when the agar hardened initially. Should I just toss that one plate?

• CatsAndBats likes this

#25 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

Toss the one and watch the others. IMHO

• macgyver likes this

#26 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

The whiteish bubbles are green mold.

Build yourself a glovebox and ditch the sab. You're having problems with your plates already.

When I say glovebox I mean air tight no biological organisms entering from anywhere box.20191111_171637.jpg 20191111_172123.jpg

#27 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:35 PM

The original design is a glove box I just removed the gloves and clamps because it's a bit hard to move with any dexterity with the gloves attached. I'll re attach the gloves and practice with that.

and @Cat

I made the transfer and funny enough took from very close to that spot, I took two small cuts that looked the strongest and put them in new plates

Edited by macgyver, 11 November 2019 - 06:54 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#28 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

The whiteish bubbles are green mold.

Build yourself a glovebox and ditch the sab. You're having problems with your plates already.

I would never discourage anyone from improving their clean work situation, that said, I use an SAB and I have a sub 5% contamination rate.

I haven't really touched on some techniques that can improve clean work on any of my agar threads.

For example, if one is using an SAB, it is beneficial to do one's work as close to the top surface of the sterilite.

It is good practice to move quickly but mindfully. I also open my jars and turn them upside down, lid too, so that they have less exposure to the compromised air.

A thorough spraying of the inside of one's box with a mild disinfectant is also a good idea, as dust, spores, etc will stick to the sides (I said spraying... one's box :tongue: ) Cat-edit, spray it down and just leave it wet, maybe just wipe a small spot to see thru.  ;)

I use a 5% acidic solution which kills 99.99% of bacteria, and most likely ruptures mold/yeast spores as well. I use method anti-bac in particular because it also has a detergent which is a surfactant, but one could easily use vinegar with a little soap.

After I prep my box, I walk away and let all of the air inside settle.

I hope these tips help.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 11 November 2019 - 08:51 PM.

• Juthro and FunG like this

#29 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

Well, A few days ago after the 2nd flush was done on my bricks they were lost to trich. I caught it before too many spores were released and moved them outside.

This morning I noticed a patch of trich on my full sized tub. about 12 or 13 days of colonization. Almost the same time frame as my last tub. I'm thinking the BRF bags are way too risky and that is the cause. In terms of decontaminating, my grow area has carpet. Does any one know the best way to sanitize carpet and painted walls without doing any damage? Want to hit a hard reset, as I think my BRF antics are a thing of the past and I want to do a deep clean before my grain jars are ready to be spawned...

Any advice?

#30 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

Dry steam is the best, but is expensive.

For wood surfaces:

Pledge multi surface antibacterial kills just about everything, obviously mold spores aren't listed but if it kills bacterial spores and viruses, I'm sure that it'll kill mold spores. Most of these type of cleaners are essentially highly diluted pesticides, so users be warned.

I use 5% acidic cleaners for most of my work, 5% acidity kills 99.9% of bacteria and surely ruptures mold spores, it's natural, doesn't have near the health or environmental risk, sufficiently sanitizes most surfaces, and won't bother my mush colonies like chlorine based. I use palmolive anti-bac for bins (5% lactic acid) and method anti-bac (5% citric acid) for hard surfaces.

Thoroughly vacuuming a carpeted floor with a HEPA rated filter should sufficiently remove mold spores.

For hard surface floors I use white vinegar (again, 5% acidity)

Hope this helps.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 13 November 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#31 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

My vacuum kind of sucks, but when I caught the trich in my SGFC, I placed the whole chamber out on the porch, removed anything that could obviously harbor contamination, and sprayed that entire section of the carpet with 100% white vinegar. After letting that sit for like 15 minutes, I sprinkled a mixture of borax and baking soda, let that sit for another 15 then vacuumed it all up. Would that be a good thing to do for the whole room?

Also ozium bombed the room after the air settled from vacuuming

Edit: also replacing the air filters today.

Edited by macgyver, 13 November 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

My vacuum kind of sucks, but when I caught the trich in my SGFC, I placed the whole chamber out on the porch, removed anything that could obviously harbor contamination, and sprayed that entire section of the carpet with 100% white vinegar. After letting that sit for like 15 minutes, I sprinkled a mixture of borax and baking soda, let that sit for another 15 then vacuumed it all up. Would that be a good thing to do for the whole room?

Yes. You did the most important thing, removed a contamination from the room.

#33 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

It's very tragic losing such a beautiful tub 13 days after spawn. I'm 90% sure it was the spawn, the BRF bag mixes are a thing of the past though.

I read this recipe for the walls how does it sound:

1 teaspoon dish detergent

1.2mL white vinegar

1 Quart of warm water

I feel like that may be too weak for my purpose but I'm not sure

#34 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

Also I guess this will be a good experiment to see how trich and mycelium fares in freezing temperatures til I go out there and deal with that tub

#35 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

It's very tragic losing such a beautiful tub 13 days after spawn. I'm 90% sure it was the spawn, the BRF bag mixes are a thing of the past though.

I read this recipe for the walls how does it sound:

1 teaspoon dish detergent

1.2mL white vinegar

1 Quart of warm water

I feel like that may be too weak for my purpose but I'm not sure

That won't significantly kill spores but it can wash them away if you change out the solution a lot. Straight vinegar would be far more efficient, IMHO.

#36 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

100% vinegar won't damage the paint layer will it? I won't soak it, but definitely want to kill the spores as efficiently as possible

#37 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

well full DECON has begun. Vinegar is sitting. Switching topics these are a few pics of my batch of grain jars inoculated on 11/3. They look promising, not sure when I should shake though. I'm thinking about giving them another day or two.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191113_115319.jpg
  • 20191113_115314.jpg
  • 20191113_115312.jpg

#38 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

Shake 'em.

There's no reason not to that I can think of IMHO.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 13 November 2019 - 02:00 PM.

#39 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

Will do! Also Cats, there is some scary black growth in the plate that I transferred from a few days ago :O, took the pics and tossed it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191113_114745.jpg
  • 20191113_114751.jpg
  • 20191113_114801.jpg

• CatsAndBats likes this

#40 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

Will do! Also Cats, there is some scary black growth in the plate that I transferred from a few days ago :O, took the pics and tossed it.

aspergillus niger is an extremely common mold, in fact, sometimes it blooms on ear wax. It comes into one's home on, shoes, clothing, in the air and on/in plants, one can see it on onion roots.

That said, if one sees it on a an entire wall or similar, one should get it professionally remediated, as it can infect one's lungs/respiratory system.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!