• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

There's signs of black mold in my hvac vents but it does not look like that. I plan to get a microscope soon so I took a few samples from the vents and windowsills before cleaning it. They weren't huge colonies but hopefully it's nothing too serious

Edited by macgyver, 14 November 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#42 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

There's signs of black mold in my hvac vents but it does not look like that. I plan to get a microscope soon so I took a few samples from the vents and windowsills before cleaning it. They weren't huge colonies but hopefully it's nothing too serious

"Aspergillosis is an infection caused by Aspergillus, a common mold (a type of fungus) that lives indoors and outdoors. Most people breathe in Aspergillus spores every day without getting sick."

From here: https://www.cdc.gov/...osis/index.html

That said if a home has a huge mold problem (ie entire walls or an old couch etc), one increases one's chances of infection substantially.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 14 November 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#43 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Yeah I kinda freaked out when I first saw it but it's not too bad. Did some research on the common types of black mold in homes and vents ETC but not any closer to identifying it. Almost looks like two different types (vent vs window). Was thinking about sending the samples to a professional lab but I want to learn more about it and see if I can identify it first.

#44 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

An update on my mini monotub: I'm getting a great look on how primordia forms! It's awesome to get an up close view and actually be able to see the mycelial network come together and form pins here are some pictures of it, today is the first day that the tiny white bulbs are visibly turning to pins

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191114_124240.jpg
  • 20191114_124226.jpg
  • 20191114_124220.jpg

• Sidestreet and Nicked like this

#45 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:53 AM

Little update on the first set of plates. The strongest myeclial growth is coming from the most obvious bacterial spot!

They're not pretty, but are they salvageable is the question?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191115_032145.jpg
  • 20191115_032151.jpg
  • 20191115_032259.jpg
  • 20191115_032305.jpg

#46 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:46 AM

You could try just grazing the top of that spot in the "MPSS" plate with your scalpel to try and grab some mycelial strands that are standing up and away from the bacteria.

It will probably still be contaminated and need more transfers.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#47 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:50 AM

You could try just grazing the top of that spot in the "MPSS" plate with your scalpel to try and grab some mycelial strands that are standing up and away from the bacteria.

Gotcha, is there any reason to wait a bit longer? I've been watching it the past few days and the bacteria spot seems to be about the same size but the mycelium is growing pretty fast. Maybe I should wait for the mycelium to cover the spot and get a better transfer?

Also thinking about taking a bit from the 11/7 MP plate with two colonies, looks pretty ugly and tomentose but maybe something will come out of it

#48 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

A busy day of transfers! The original plate blew up with growth in the last few days, and I got some really nice cuts from it.

20191115_141808.jpg 20191115_141724.jpg

Trying out a no pour TEK but still have the condensation problem, which I'm sure is contributing to my bacteria issues.

20191115_122253.jpg

celebrating a birthday!

20191115_091843.jpg

Ending my myco mania for the day...

Time to drink a few beers and watch the new rogan podcast :chucks:

[Direct Link]

#49 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

An update on my mini monotub: I'm getting a great look on how primordia forms! It's awesome to get an up close view and actually be able to see the mycelial network come together and form pins here are some pictures of it, today is the first day that the tiny white bulbs are visibly turning to pins

Heya Mac,

If you do not mind me asking how long did it take for your tubs to colonize, and then how many days until you saw pins? My substrate surface is looking very similar to yours. I feel like they are overwhelmed with humidity. The surface appears like spider-webs on a forest floor in the morning, not like mycelium. Mine looks nearly identical to yours. Are you fanning them?

• RutgerHauer likes this

#50 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:20 PM

Heya Mac,

If you do not mind me asking how long did it take for your tubs to colonize, and then how many days until you saw pins? My substrate surface is looking very similar to yours. I feel like they are overwhelmed with humidity. The surface appears like spider-webs on a forest floor in the morning, not like mycelium. Mine looks nearly identical to yours. Are you fanning them?

I may be the wrong person to ask, my last few full sized tubs have been contaminated after 10 days of wonderful colonization.

This mini 6QT tub though is still pinning and looking great. I put it into fruiting conditions once I saw pins (very tiny white bulbs coming from spider web strands) after about 12 days maybe? I mixed BRF jars that were colonizing for more than 3 weeks with a pasteurized substrate that was mostly coir, a little verm, and a little worm castings with some gypsum for good measure.

I fan maybe once a day after I lightly mist (very lightly) but I have modified my dub tub a little... The top tub has two 1/2" in diameter holes on the width stuffed lightly with poly and on the bottom it has 1/4" holes every 2" at sub level (3-4"high) covered with micropore tape. all the modifications may not be necessary because when the top is placed on the bottom there is a little space for air to exchange anyways. I think a lot of FAE is important as long as you keep moisture up.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#51 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:47 AM

Hey guys,

I dont know for sure, but maybe you can check out an old grow log of mine with a contaminated sub to compare.
https://mycotopia.ne...grow-log/page-3

It was probably contaminated with something they call Verticillium. I have looked up the contamination more recently because i think I was growing it in one of my plates (I recognized it from an old plate I had some cloned tissue that was also contaminated). The official "new" name is Lecanicillium Lecanii. It's an asexual anamorph of a Cordyceps species (Cordyceps Confragosa), common airborn contaminant. Would be a fun contaminant to experiment on, if you are into infecting insects.

3-Figure1-1.png

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 November 2019 - 04:35 AM.

#52 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:43 AM

Gotcha, is there any reason to wait a bit longer? I've been watching it the past few days and the bacteria spot seems to be about the same size but the mycelium is growing pretty fast. Maybe I should wait for the mycelium to cover the spot and get a better transfer?

Also thinking about taking a bit from the 11/7 MP plate with two colonies, looks pretty ugly and tomentose but maybe something will come out of it

Hey, sorry I didn't get back faster.  You were right to move forward though, IMO.  I think the way to do it is to make transfers quickly rather than let the myc grow out more.  That way, you're more likely to grab a whisp of clean growth before the contaminants in the plate have a chance to take off.

• macgyver likes this

#53 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I hope I scraped far enough from that nasty puddle... I have a few promising looking plates right now, need to work on a better labeling system though :biggrin:

Here are some pics of my mini tub and some grain jars. Are these jars looking okay? The mycelium is crazy thick, It's gonna be really hard to break some of these clumps.

and Rutger- Hopefully my babies don't have vert!!!

Edit: Upon more research into vert- dry bubble and wet bubble, I'm pretty sure my last grow had it in some of the shrooms. I noticed the hollowish stems and vertical cracking... Didn't think much of it. Must not have been severe though because that was the only super obvious symptom. Maybe spotty caps a little bit too. Hoping this tub doesn't have any issues

20191116_142010.jpg 20191116_141946.jpg

20191116_141508.jpg 20191116_141457.jpg 20191116_141443.jpg

Edited by macgyver, 16 November 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#54 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:42 PM

Wonderful growth in this mini tub!!! :biggrin:

20191118_122141.jpg 20191118_122105.jpg

Today I will be preparing and pasteurizing enough substrate for two more of the mini tubs. One will have the rest of my BRF jars crumbled and mixed as spawn and the other will have a few of my first grain jars evenly distributed.

The recipe I used for the tub that is pictured was: 110G coir, 1/2 a cup Gypsum, 1.5 cups Worm Castings, and 1 cup of verm. The ingredients were brought to field capacity and cooked in the oven at 170F for 90 minutes

I'm happy with the results so I'm going to use it again for the next few tubs.

My most recent set of Agar transfers are looking pretty clean so far, hard to take pictures because of the condensation but I don't see any baddies yet!

#55 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

Here are some updated pictures of the initial round of plates that were inoculated 11/3

20191118_162814.jpg 20191118_162811.jpg 20191118_162653.jpg

#56 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:15 PM

So I harvested my mini tub today, rate of growth was absolutely crazy once those pins popped up.

20191119_112455.jpg 20191119_113439.jpg

As you can probably tell from these pics I tore up the sub quite a bit when I was picking, I did a pseudo casing of wet verm over top to try and patch it a little.

Should I dunk this mini tub to initiate the second flush the same way you would a monotub? Any advice on what my next step is would be greatly appreciated!

20191119_114932.jpg 20191119_114456.jpg

#57 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Should I dunk this mini tub to initiate the second flush the same way you would a monotub? Any advice on what my next step is would be greatly appreciated!

attachicon.gif20191119_114932.jpgattachicon.gif20191119_114456.jpg

Lift it up and if it still has weight to it, no, if it feels light, dunk it.

• macgyver likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!