• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

Pic 1: 1 of the 4 clone plates I did with the semi dry Chitwan tissue sample is showing signs of growth. Looks like mycelium!

Pic 2: I transferred the aerial rhizo strand from the previous post to a new plate, and it is settling in and showing signs of growth.

Pic 3: Just a cool growth pattern. Getting closer to a uniform growth pattern!

20191126_125643.jpg 20191126_125338.jpg 20191126_125510.jpg

• onediadem, Sidestreet, adrian118 and 1 other like this

#82 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:50 AM

Hey Mac if your still looking into building a grow room here are 2 things I've seen that will help: First is company that makes auntomated temp & humidity sensor timers . There are companies make O2/temp/humidity sensors but they re pricey.

https://www.ink-bird.com

This one is foil backed bubble insulation, it's great stuff.

https://www.homedepo...48100/202092205

Good luck
  • macgyver likes this

#83 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

Hope that everyone had a good thanksgiving! I was out of town and the cakes in my SGFC decided to produce some mature fruits while no one was looking.

Also, out of 4 plates one is successful in cloning the semi dry chitwan tissue. I'll be making a transfer from this plate tomorrow in an effort to clean it up and find some rhizo goodness.

20191129_172108.jpg 20191130_183404.jpg

#84 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

Pic 1: The strand of aerial myc that I transferred grew out uniformly and radially but is very cottony. Interesting!

Pics 2 & 3 : This plate is overgrown with extremely aggressive mycelium, I am currently soaking some WBS in coffee water and gypsum to start a master jar that will be started with a cut from this plate.

Pic 4 : One last picture of my SGFC flush, not exactly sure how the highest cap is covered with spores, do they exude from the gills below through the top of the cap for a better chance of spreading them?

20191202_210703.jpg 20191202_210720.jpg 20191202_210811.jpg 20191202_105905.jpg

#85 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 425 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:40 PM

My kitchen came with an under-cabinet microwave that hangs above the stove.. it has a night light installed underneath it.  I turn on this little light and keep my dishes and jars in the microwave.  This way I can maintain things 5-10 degrees warmer than my house.

• macgyver likes this

#86 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:51 PM

Where did you find those cups for your agar, and can you pc them? Or how are they packaged? It is time for me to order another case of petri's and I would like to try something new. How much are they? If they are comparable to 500/$100 I may try them out.

• macgyver likes this

#87 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:39 PM

Where did you find those cups for your agar, and can you pc them? Or how are they packaged? It is time for me to order another case of petri's and I would like to try something new. How much are they? If they are comparable to 500/$100 I may try them out.

Definitely cannot PC them, they are super thin plastic food cups, 2oz each. you can get a package of about 200 for less than 5 dollars, probably online or at walmart or target. They are airtight and I haven't had contamination issues from them except my first time but I think that was because of the pour. They have nice visibility and are cheap enough that I don't mind doing a ton more plates. (I hate throwing out petris). They also allow you to skip the parafilm on the sides though which is a huge plus. I work in a GB so trying to wrap each plate in a timely manner was really tough. I have tried glad rounds (no pour), petris, and these so far. These are definitely my favorite. I do want to look into something similar that is no pour and reusable though, hate throwing away all that plastic! I may try jelly jars next.

• Tenderfoot and FunG like this

#88 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

Pretty soon I'll need to make some culture slants, I know there is a few ways to do it. These caps are autoclaveable but I'm not sure if they are air tight, or honestly if they should be.

Would It be okay to stuff the mouth of the tub tightly with polyfill and put the cap on over that for long term storage?

20191203_152525.jpg 20191203_152550.jpg

#89 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:58 PM

I quit using parafilm. Way expensive and I hated that it dries up and cracks. I used 1 inch slices of cling wrap to seal plates. I may try those.

• macgyver likes this

#90 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:00 AM

Dip your slants with the caps on in wax for long term storage.

• crazy1 and macgyver like this

#91 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

Pic 1: A few days ago, had an agar extravaganza, poured almost 25 plates, prepared some slants, and made 10 overdue transfers!

Pic 2: Yesterday I did my first Agar to Grain attempt. The jars looked very very dry after the PC run, but instead of trying to re hydrate, re pc, or add sterile water after the fact, I just went for it...

20191203_171143.jpg 20191204_181344.jpg

#92 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

So after a 13 day spawn run, I decided to check on my monotub. Most of the tub looks good.

20191205_153118.jpg 20191205_153103.jpg 20191205_143757.jpg

But upon further inspection, the substrate seems to have receded a very small amount from the tub, and allowed water to pool in two of the corners. There are 2 huge spots of metabolites and I'm pretty sure some sort of bacterial contamination. It seems like it is contained to just the two corners. The tub smells like deep mushroom goodness, but in these two corners there is a hint of sweet. I'm going to wait it out and see if this tub fruits. Is there anything I can do? that pooling water looks very bad, but I'm not sure I should remove the metabolites if they are the mycelium's natural defense. I'm thinking about drilling a needle sized hole and extracting some of the water from these two corners. Is this a bad idea, and should I just let it go at this point?

20191205_151549.jpg 20191205_151554.jpg

I'm not sure if it is wise to intervene or not, and the mycelium seems to be fighting whatever it is very strongly...

#93 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

I always drill a hole in one corner on the bottom that I can fit a cork into so I can dunk my subs. I line the tub with black trash bags and when they need a dunk I cut an x in the bag and plug it with a cork. It sits on bricks while dunking and when I pull the cork it drains. Something like that may work for you later, but for now, drill a 1/4 inch hole and drain that. Once it is drained, put a piece tape over the hole. You only need one hole. Just tilt it so the water runs to the corner you have drilled.

• crazy1 and orangutan like this

#94 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

I always drill a hole in one corner on the bottom that I can fit a cork into so I can dunk my subs. I line the tub with black trash bags and when they need a dunk I cut an x in the bag and plug it with a cork. It sits on bricks while dunking and when I pull the cork it drains. Something like that may work for you later, but for now, drill a 1/4 inch hole and drain that. Once it is drained, put a piece tape over the hole. You only need one hole. Just tilt it so the water runs to the corner you have drilled.

Okay, that sounds like a good way to do it. Is there any benefit to leaving metabolites alone/on the substrate? In that picture it is extreme and needs to be drained, but there are a couple much smaller areas along the side. I think it is bacterial and metabolites are antibiotics produced in response, so it would make sense to leave the smaller areas alone?

Edit: drilled the hole, it isn't liquid and won't drain. Tried to suck it up with a clean syringe, also not effective.

Edited by macgyver, 06 December 2019 - 11:08 AM.

• cybele likes this

#95 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:38 AM

Okay, that sounds like a good way to do it. Is there any benefit to leaving metabolites alone/on the substrate? In that picture it is extreme and needs to be drained, but there are a couple much smaller areas along the side. I think it is bacterial and metabolites are antibiotics produced in response, so it would make sense to leave the smaller areas alone?

Edit: drilled the hole, it isn't liquid and won't drain. Tried to suck it up with a clean syringe, also not effective.

I have a tub that is looking very similar. It’s pretty damn ugly, but has not hurt anything yet. For clarification I dunked after the first flush using tap water. There was no liner in the tub. After draining I noticed a red/yellow staining on the surface and some pretty gelatinous metabolite build up. There was also some reddish staining visible inside the container on the bottom. Where the substrate makes contact. I believe the red coloring differs between various coco coir suppliers, and that is just leeching out the coir still. The gelatinous stuff you couldn’t suck up is also what happened to mine. I think fhe metabolites consolidate and stick together in the water, and they didn’t get drained out. The substrate will suck that shit up for you leaving nothing but an ugly stain.

Mine is fruiting now, and after harvest I’ll shoot you some pictures so you can compare the coloring.

#96 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, the pools haven't moved at all. surface is progressing beautifully, so I am hopeful! I don't think I'll use liners anymore, I haven't seen any significant side pins yet and I do like to see how the sub is colonizing below the surface level.

Seeing very tiny pins on the surface of that tub and one of my minis, lost the other mini to trich :dry: luckily I caught it very early this time.

Very excited to see how the big tub preforms. As always, it feels like Christmas morning every time you wake up to the first day of pins. I'll post some pics when they grow a little bit.

#97 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Pic 1: Seeing some nice looking growth in one of my master jars! I'm very excited to see how this colonizes, and eventually fruits.

Pics 2 & 3: These two pictures were taken 24 hours apart. It blows my mind how quickly mycelium can grow when it wants to. Going to work on these plates some more and hopefully isolate something that resembles a monoculture. I should be getting a microscope soon, and can't wait to advance another step.

Pics 4 & 5: I've finally dialed in my wardrobe incubator to stay between 76 and 77 reliably, regardless of ambient temperature. Lowest shelf is the hottest, highest is about 1 degree cooler. For now I am using a small space heater aimed at the wardrobe that kicks on at a set temperature, turns off 2 degrees above the set temp and turns on 1 degree below. It took a little time to find out what temperature was best and work out the kinks, but It's now set so it only comes on a few times a day. (probably more at night - temps are around freezing)

20191207_140153.jpg 20191206_134215(1).jpg 20191207_140731.jpg

20191207_174015.jpg 20191207_174021.jpg

Edited by macgyver, 07 December 2019 - 05:55 PM.

• adrian118 likes this

#98 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:19 PM

My two tubs are developing pretty well. Really happy with the pin set in the mini tub. The larger tub is not really impressive, and the pins look like they are concentrated in one section of the tub and popping up sparsely everywhere else. Looks like they will almost be the same yield for the first flush...

I am also noticing small lines on the sides of some of the fruit bodies. Is this a symptom of some sort of bacterial infection? I see this on the biggest pin in the mini tub pictured below, and on a lot of the pins in the bigger tub.

20191209_211008.jpg 20191209_211014.jpg 20191209_211407.jpg 20191209_211400.jpg

• Stencill86 and FunG like this

#99 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Spent my morning breaking up 20 BRF 1/2 pints for some more dubtubs. Took me a very long time :biggrin:

I'm going with a much higher spawn to substrate ratio this time. One is 50% and the other is 60%. I'm also trying out a new additive to my substrate, I added 10% Kelp meal. Substrate was pasteurized in the oven, I let it cool over night then mixed the two tubs. I'm expecting them to colonize very quickly and preform well. All of the cakes were inoculated over a month ago and pretty difficult to break up.

20191210_121941.jpg 20191210_134223.jpg 20191210_134950.jpg

• RutgerHauer and FunG like this

#100 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

[quote name="macgyver" post="1433936" timestamp="1575944343"]My two tubs are developing pretty well. Really happy with the pin set in the mini tub. The larger tub is not really impressive, and the pins look like they are concentrated in one section of the tub and popping up sparsely everywhere else. Looks like they will almost be the same yield for the first flush...

I am also noticing small lines on the sides of some of the fruit bodies. Is this a symptom of some sort of bacterial infection? I see this on the biggest pin in the mini tub pictured below, and on a lot of the pins in the bigger tub.
//<![CDATA[

Some of the mutated b+ in my tubs have those lines on them too.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!