• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#101 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:31 AM

Looking good macgyver (I've been spelling your handle wrong, forgive me lol)

The substrate pulling away from the sides is a sure sign that the tub is about ready to fruit, it's the ingestion of cellulose materials themselves by the fungi, the bull material has been broken down and digested then comes the mushrooms. Very satisfying to see a blob properly feeding on its food source.
  • macgyver likes this

#102 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:10 PM

@FunG I do love seeing mycelium eating! I add whole grains of rice to my PF tek for aeration, sometimes a grain will just be pure white.

Looks like I will be starting to harvest my mini tub today! Big tub is showing fatter, meatier looking fruits, could be a few reasons but I think it is the environment and grain spawn.

Woohoo happy days!

20191211_115623.jpg 20191211_115713.jpg

• onediadem, Sidestreet, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#103 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:49 AM

Just spent all night tending the crop. After some chemical and liquid encouragement (and taking far too many pictures), I harvested almost 600 wet grams from the big tub :biggrin:

Super excited to do a few more grain jars as soon as possible. :ohmy:

20191213_065416.jpg 20191213_055406.jpg 20191213_054812.jpg

20191213_070013.jpg 20191213_055841.jpg 20191213_064444.jpg

• Sidestreet, RutgerHauer, Nicked and 2 others like this

#104 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

That’s awesome bro! Beautiful healthy looking fruits. Looks like a nice holiday season heading your way.
  • macgyver likes this

#105 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,253 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:05 PM

Well done!

• macgyver likes this

#106 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:57 PM

Thanks! just picked the stragglers, almost 800G wet! Any tips on prepping for second flush? My plan is to just do some light patching of the sub with verm then dunking for a few hours. Should I dunk with pins or remove the bigger ones?

#107 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:22 PM

You on fire!

• macgyver likes this

#108 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Thank you my friend!

#109 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,253 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:20 PM

I would leave the pins on and dunk. You will know pretty quick if they will grow or abort.

• macgyver likes this

#110 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:39 AM

Pic 1: I have successfully germinated some Golden Teacher spores (thanks to another very generous and helpful member :cool: )

Pic 2: B+ is still growing very wonky, but I made some agar slurry syringes and inoculated a batch of grain jars so we will see how it fruits.

Pics 3 & 4: It looks like I either got very lucky, or cloned tissue grows very uniformly on agar, but here are some pretty Nepal Chitwan plates that I will grow out soon. Made a few transfers but kept one untouched and will dedicate a tub to it since it looks like a monoculture, or just a clone plate IDK

20191211_135709(1).jpg 20191215_182954.jpg

20191215_164558.jpg 20191215_164603.jpg

• onediadem, RutgerHauer and FunG like this

#111 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:43 AM

That first pic looks like very wispy mycelium! Has it started germinating just recently? Golden Teacher was my first love.

The other ones look beautiful - they seem to grow pretty quick when I compare it with some of my dishes.. might be just because you have selected some rhizo and I have only yet selected Cubensis mycelium that is tomentose, or something else: What is the temperature you have them in? I think you have an advantage as well with those cups, full of oxygen compared to glass petris.

Seeing how much faster my jars go when there is proper gas exchange I now really think it would be a good idea to change something about my dishes, make them able to vent.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 December 2019 - 07:46 AM.

#112 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:08 AM

All of my agar plates incubate between 75 and 78F, The GT is 10 days old it has been germinating for about 5 days - it may take a few transfers to get a good plate going.

These cups are really handy, super easy to pour and really cheap. I just wish they were a bit wider.

I do grab rhizos only usually, I should probably start taking smaller wisps though. Most of my plates are now starting out rhizo then end up covered in tomentose. I read this was a sign of a strain/substrain losing vigor but I don't think that's it in this case because freshly germinating plates/2nd or 3rd transfers are doing it too.

I'm not sure about venting plates, I saw some when I first looked at petris but I avoided it because I'm really worried about contamination

#113 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

I'm not really worried about contamination using petris and parafilm. All of the contams I have had were because of my own actions around the plates - that problem remains whatever container you use. I would be worried about using those kind of cups myself, especially because I couldn't guarantee that they are and remain sterile.

I wouldn't think rhizo would necessarily stay rhizo depending on its vigor. Mycelium can apparently change back and forth depending on its needs and its tendencies, maybe you can't appoint any value to it other than it looks better and might be more aggressive/quicker if the strain has the tendency to stay rhizomorphic. People seem all to have their own ideas about this.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 December 2019 - 11:25 AM.

#114 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:57 AM

Yeah that's what I love about agar, until you grow it out you never really know. I could make 10 transfers and have the most beautiful Rhizo mono culture that is incapable of fruiting, meanwhile the 2nd plate I transferred from that was mostly tomentose could have been the most prolific fruiter ever :biggrin: I really can't wait to get a microscope so I can truly reach an isolate and see what's going on below the surface. I just inoculated my first batch of grain jars using agar slurries last night. I'm pretty excited to see what they do.

#115 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:00 PM

Goodwill score!!! :chucks: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

20191216_184657.jpg

Edit: Im partially blinded in my left eye but the microscope seems to be fully functional! Time to do some research...

Edited by macgyver, 16 December 2019 - 09:15 PM.

• onediadem and RutgerHauer like this

#116 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:03 AM

Nice going, hope it will work for you and help you determine what you are dealing with in your agar work!

I saw your posts in different topics about knocking on wood, and something about cutting the fruits that are ready before the others are ready to harvest - and it made me think about wood carving knives.

They have a curved blade and come in different shapes and sizes, which might be helpful if you were to cut one off in the middle of a bunch you would not be able to reach with a normal knife.

mora-wood-carving-erik-frosts-163.jpg

They are pretty pricey when you but them new, but if you were to spot one at Goodwill, it might catch your eye now.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 17 December 2019 - 06:04 AM.

• macgyver likes this

#117 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:18 AM

Eep! I was afraid you'd have a similar experience with those gt's macguyver, but thank you for reassuring me that I'm not crazy. Something to do with the spores I received from spore works, they colonize and fruit fine but they really seem to be suffering from something....the growth always starts out thin and whispy like that and then denses up over a longer then usual period of time for a p.cubensis.

That's not how I recall them being when I grew them out before, they were quick and very rhizmphoric.... this brings me back to a thread on shroomery about certain p.cubensis were found to be beginning to degrade from over growth....something about the gnomes of the spores themselves and I guess golden teachers are so widely popular that it may in fact be one of those strains....

Someone apparently created a print called "golden halo" which actually was golden but I lost the damn thing before I could culture anything out..it was apparently suppose to contain enough fresh subs strains or gnomes or something that it would never degrade.... I havnt seen much posted about it since a few prints were sent out but yea.... I can assure you if you culture the gt it will still fruit...just expect that thin whispy mycelium....

#118 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:31 AM

Eep! I was afraid you'd have a similar experience with those gt's macguyver, but thank you for reassuring me that I'm not crazy. Something to do with the spores I received from spore works, they colonize and fruit fine but they really seem to be suffering from something....the growth always starts out thin and whispy like that and then denses up over a longer then usual period of time for a p.cubensis.

That's not how I recall them being when I grew them out before, they were quick and very rhizmphoric.... this brings me back to a thread on shroomery about certain p.cubensis were found to be beginning to degrade from over growth....something about the gnomes of the spores themselves and I guess golden teachers are so widely popular that it may in fact be one of those strains....

Someone apparently created a print called "golden halo" which actually was golden but I lost the damn thing before I could culture anything out..it was apparently suppose to contain enough fresh subs strains or gnomes or something that it would never degrade.... I havnt seen much posted about it since a few prints were sent out but yea.... I can assure you if you culture the gt it will still fruit...just expect that thin whispy mycelium....

Noted, I'll do a few different transfers from the germinated plates and see what happens, I did inoculate some jelly grain jars with the spore syringe for the sake of diversification.

20191218_002333.jpg

Haven't had luck with spores to grains, but if it colonizes I will do G2G and maybe fruit out a dub tub from spores while I'm working on the agar transfers.

I know GTs have a noob friendly reputation, so I'm hoping that I will have some success with the jars!

I'm really excited to be working with GT and Nepal Chitwan so I can have a new frame of reference on my B+ standard. I can only process my own experience and what I have seen others do with different strains and that is no way to science...

#119 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2019 - 02:45 AM

I remember the same growth pattern when I put GT clones to agar, first starting thin and only when it almost fully colonized the plate thickening up. Might be just a property of some of the strains. Makes me want to get back to my GT spores again in the near future and put them to agar directly and see if I get similar results.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 18 December 2019 - 02:51 AM.

• macgyver likes this

#120 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

I'll post updates, doing the GT transfers today! Finally have a 23QT PC, so It will be a busy day today :bat:

I'll also be introducing my two BRF dub tubs to FC today, I see a pin on the bottom of the tub so after an 8 day spawn run I think it is time.

• RutgerHauer and FunG like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!