• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#141 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the response. I have bins a little bigger, 12 quart. (shoe boxes for people with huge feet) I first had bought 6 quarts like you have, but I thought the sub would be a bit thick as a result because of the dimensions of it. I'm not sure, but I don't like that idea very much. I now have room for more substrate in there and still have room for the mushrooms to grow for the most part without going dub tub. If it is necessary I can go there in the last few days of fruiting.

I have decided not to mod anything to start out with, we'll see how that goes. I'll just flip the lids for fruiting stage: the lids are slightly concave when flipped, so on both sides the lid wount touch the bin. That sould provide plenty of air exchange. Seems to me to be a good idea to start out without mods for this, and see how that works out. As soon as it doesn't seem to work I can go and mod the empty bins/lids I have.

• macgyver likes this

#142 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the response. I have bins a little bigger, 12 quart. (shoe boxes for people with huge feet) I first had bought 6 quarts like you have, but I thought the sub would be a bit thick as a result because of the dimensions of it. I'm not sure, but I don't like that idea very much. I now have room for more substrate in there and still have room for the mushrooms to grow for the most part without going dub tub. If it is necessary I can go there in the last few days of fruiting.

I have decided not to mod anything to start out with, we'll see how that goes. I'll just flip the lids for fruiting stage: the lids are slightly concave when flipped, so on both sides the lid wount touch the bin. That sould provide plenty of air exchange. Seems to me to be a good idea to start out without mods for this, and see how that works out. As soon as it doesn't seem to work I can go and mod the empty bins/lids I have.

My two tubs don't form a seal, but I modified them before I noticed this. The sub doesn't dry out, and the way I see it if the sub isn't drying out then there is no such thing as too much FAE. I could be wrong, but this is my current mindset. That being said, the next dub tub I make won't have a different number of holes, they will just be placed differently I think.

#143 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:13 PM

Thanks to another very generous member of the topia community, I have some new genetics to play with. Today I cooked up a big batch of agar, and inoculated my first round of plates.

Lions mane, Reishi (again), Black Morel, and Blue Oyster. I may start a thread in the other forum for the progress on these plates, but I look forward to trying to cultivate some wood lovers!

20200114_181244.jpg

• FunG likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!