I do normal PF tek but then take the colonized cakes and mix them into a bigger bag of PF mix, little less BRF little more VERM. While I have had some success I just think there is a much bigger margin for error and the mix is really nutritious. I saw a tek somewhere that gave me the idea, he basically took a colonized cake and mixed it with 4 un colonized, but sterile cakes in a bag, poked some air holes and let it go. I fruited nearly a dry ounce by dunking one of these bags and fruiting it in a SGFC but in the long run, I think I made the entire process very over complicated.
Hmmm... I have tried just about every method including hydroponics and I have never seen using BRF as a bulk substrate medium... only as a spawn medium as originally used by PF. Just my experience here... but I have had more contamination issues using BRF than any other nutrient. It could be just a case of little practical experience or a combination of poor prep and sanitation on my part, or maybe just my environment is not well suited for BRF. I live deep in the woods so there is mold and moss and god knows what else floating everywhere. I even lose 25% of my agar plates to contam and I use a well-sealed SAB. I am to the point of not using BRF at all. I exclusively use grain, however, keep in mind that my contamination issues still exist but at a much lower rate. I compensate by making a lot more than I need. I am just sharing my personal experience, I am not sure why I do not lose whole tubs to trich like some people do. The grain spawn that I lose now (if it does contam) usually will trich out before I open the jar which is definitely better than losing a whole tub of sub.
yeah it ended up kinda like this:
Inoc PF tek jars > Colonize OG jars for 2 and half weeks to a month > Mix a couple jars in a bag, crumbled, with about 3x the amount of sub (PF tek) > 5 days to 2 weeks for the bag to colonize > spawn to whatever (I did coir verm gypsum variations).
Every time I've tried a big tub like this it contams after the spawn run. First time it was 10 days, second time about 13 days. Always a big bummer because the tub looks so good then overnight, boom, mean green... This time I even had a couple pins!
The one time it worked really well was just spawning the contents of the bag to a SGFC, nice shrooms nice 2 flushes. Then lost to trich after the 2nd.
Just doing grains seems like my next step. I do like PF TEK but I just added too many of my own, uneducated additions to it. I am the type of person that usually has to learn through personal experience though.
Edited by macgyver, 13 November 2019 - 04:45 PM.