7 replies to this topic

#1 enomoomi

enomoomi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:18 AM

Hi,

I am searching for commercial home test kit (or DIY kit) that allows me to test cannabioid levels with moderate accuracy.

As one aspect is the effect of storage and different methods of decarb. I would prefer that BOTH THCA and THC levels would be measured for each cannabioid.

Out of curiocity, if anonone knows how much lab grade testing equipment costs, I would love to know. .. Out of my budget but still would like to know :)

Take care and be safe!

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

I don't know if there's a home test kit that can do that.  If so, that would be sweet.

• crazy1 likes this

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:05 AM

I looked into this a few years ago and found some Thin later chromatography kits online and considered going about it that way but never ended up pulling the trigger... that might be your best bet if you are in an area that frowns upon cannabis use. If you are in a legal area/country you might be able to find a private lab that will do tests for an individual grower. Hope that helps some!
  • Sidestreet and Melonmuziq like this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:25 AM

That would be a great idea for anyone who's working with hemp flower.  It has to be under .3% THC or it's illegal marijuana.  Not that you can't get arrested for it anyway, police can't seem to tell the difference right now.

• ethnobotanist420, MsBehavin420 and Melonmuziq like this

#5 enomoomi

enomoomi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:59 AM

Thank you for sharing this. Thin later chromatography kits term was huge help with search engines.

Early results is that tests are ~150usd a kit which translates to 3 usd or so per test (this is very acceptable).

There seems to be DIY kits for very rough estimates for thc and cbd ( IF i can source ingredients I will probably start with these ) .

I looked up few tests for more detailed info .. they were quite poorly documented (or I am just thinking things backwards) .. the tests said it tests for THC without specifying if they mean thc or thca (also thcv popped up which I am not familiar with). Second issue is that these test kits (i looked up so far) test only thc, cbd and cbn.

Thanks again for the info.. helped me greatly !! I just wished to post my early findings on the subject  ( And I wish to underline that I am grateful for the info.. not bitching like I expected better links.. just voicing out that ' work in progress' at this point .. )

I looked into this a few years ago and found some Thin later chromatography kits online and considered going about it that way but never ended up pulling the trigger... that might be your best bet if you are in an area that frowns upon cannabis use. If you are in a legal area/country you might be able to find a private lab that will do tests for an individual grower. Hope that helps some!

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#6 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:59 PM

Oh shit I guess I could have posted a link hey? Lol sorry man my bad haha

Glad to hear it helped a bit tho!

I really don’t know how much more precise you could get without having things lab tested... I assume when you are doing TLC tests you would decarb your material before running it which I understand isn’t ideal for what you mentioned in your first post.

I really don’t know what equipment you would need to do proper tests at home or how much that would cost but I have to say you have me interested if only for the sake of finding out... I’ll do some looking around too and if I find anything I’ll post it here :)

#7 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

I got one of those kits about 5 years ago when I was growing and it worked really well. It was sold by Cannalytics out of Montana and included unmarked solvent to do the extraction from your weighed sample then a few thin layer chromatography columns on strips of glass to do the markings. You read the results with what resembles a pupilometer, (used by the pigs to check for meth use), and that tells you the % and spread of all the different thc molecules in your sample.

I tried making my own, and that proved to be fun, but didn't have the same equipment and didn't know the mix of the solvent used to extract so mine didn't come out with the same results and I finally gave up. The kits that they sold did do a fairly good job of indicating the potency, but you still had to have it done by a real lab if you wanted to sell to a dispensary. It was great for checking to find the good strains and time to harvest.

#8 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:32 AM

I might have to finally get a kit... I’ve been going by feel which is fine for finding good THC plants but it’s much harder to tell how much CBD you have in your plant by feel alone.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!