• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:48 PM

On 10/27/19 I measured out straw to fill tub about 2.5inches thick on bottom.  I placed this straw in a pillow case and soaked in water overnight.  I then hung pillow case to drain for about 12 hours.  I then added two cups of dried and sifted alpaca poo into pillow case and mixed around.  I then pasteurized by submerging pillow case in a slow cooker filled with water.  I proceeded to “cook” on low for an hour.  I let pillow case drain and proceeded to slow cook again for an hour.  I then drained the pillow case again and transferred the contents of pillow case into bin.

While loading in bin, I first placed a layer of shredded BRF cakes on bottom of bin.  Then a layer of straw; then a layer of BRF cakes; then straw; and finally a top layer of shredded BRF cakes.  The bin looks very healthy and there are currently 5-6 pins visible.

My question is whether, based on the attached photos, I should add a thin casing layer of verm on top of what I have in bin?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1040262.JPG
  • P1040271.JPG
  • P1040272.JPG
  • BRF cakes spawned to straw and poo - bin diagram.jpg

Edited by ilikethings, 09 November 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,606 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

Since it's already knotting-up so nicely I would not add vermiculite. All that would do at this point is give you glittery (and gritty) mushrooms.

• ilikethings likes this

#3 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:00 PM

@TVCasualty, thanks.  I agree, but just wanted some confirmation that It already looks good to go.  I was impressed with the fast colonization of the straw/alpaca poo mix.  In less than two weeks it fully colonized and started pinning.  I forgot to note that the bin is 12" x 16" and I used 6 BRF cakes as spawn.

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

I never case my straw, but I also have ideal conditions.

• ilikethings likes this

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

IMO casing for cubes is completely unnecessary. Other species yes but cubes just don't need it if the substrates moisture content stays appropriate. I have grown without casings and with casings for cubes and the outcome is usually about the same. On the occasion with cubes I added my sassing layer and the pinset was much better on the sides where there was no casing layer. I'll look for a picture to describe what I mean.
  • onediadem and ilikethings like this

#6 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

Here is the picture. This was a bit of extrta straw that I did not want to waste so I spawned to it in a tea piture. After it grew through but before pinset I cased the top for fear of drying out and you can see what happened with the fruit.

https://mycotopia.ne...38186774929.jpg

Edited by dial8, 14 November 2019 - 02:44 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#7 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

The picture would not transfer properly so just click on the link to see it.

#8 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

I did not case it.  It has started pinning nicely.  I add a photo in a bit to show what it looks like.  I also started a second bin in the same fashion and it appears to be even more aggressive at colonizing the straw/Apoo substrate.  Two take aways: (1) I agree with dial8 re just needing to keep the sub moist on top, i.e. I have been misting just enough to keep the top covered with very small water droplets--not really "droplets" but more of a fine dew.  (2) I think the top layer should be spawn covering the straw.  If I went with straw as final top layer, I think id have had greater chance of contams.  This is because the when the top layer is spawn it knots up fast and acts as a barrier protecting the straw from contams.

• dial8 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!