• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:54 PM

I had two jars of MDK that for all intents and purposes looked clean as can be but they both exhibit some very weird growth characteristics. The myc is so super tomentose, it’s not fuzzy, at all. Just white and heavy and super thick and slow. It grew in spurts and areas, and kind of knotty. I put the better looking one inside a bag of clean pasteurized hpoo and tied it shut and put it in the dark to wait see what happens but I didn’t do anything with the other jar yet. What do you guys think when you look at it? Since it’s at 100% you can’t see the very strange growth patterns very well just that it’s not fuzzy and it’s super thick white. It didn’t smell, or if it did I couldn’t tell.

2eacfb145c6089bf016ba5906927adf8.jpg

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

Only one way to find out...

• Moonless likes this

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:45 PM

Are the two jars of the same species? If so maybe it would come in handy if you posted a picture of the better looking one, so that we can look at the differences..

What did you use to inoculate? Might be helpful to show and tell us something about that.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 09 November 2019 - 04:46 PM.

#4 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

It was on popcorn and they really looked the same mostly. I used that one already, I was doubtful but curious so I spawned it to some really nice hpoo to see what the deal is. Pretty sure I said that but anyway I Just wanted to see what others think. It’s the same exact way I did like ten to twenty other jars but these two are/were the same species same syringe and the only ones to look like this. I figure it’s ok honestly but it just looks so weird and yet it grew slowly like mycelium does.. only not, it grew in really weird patterns wish I had some pics of that but only got this jar at full consolidation. But as you can see even how thick it is and yet there are still spots of popcorn poking through, it was just weird.

#5 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

Lol I pretty much answered all the questions you asked in the first post, but again it’s MDK on popcorn this is the one left of the two not spawned. They showed the same characteristics not shared with any of the other strains I nocc’d up at the same time under same conditions. I’m leaning toward it being genetics just never seen anything quite like this. We will see I suppose.

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

LOL you didn't. I was aiming for your method of inoculation, not substrate choice or anything else. I see you answered that just now.

Might not be the source, if contaminated at all. Did you use MultiSpore? Seems to me that it would be too much of coincidence if all those genetics would be in one jar and not the other.. it does make it suspect if you used a MS syringe, should be more of the same distribution i think - but it might as well be a coincidence.[/quote]LOL you didn't. I was aiming for your method of inoculation, not substrate choice or anything else. I see you answered that just now. Might not be the source, if contaminated at all. Did you use a MS ? Seems to me that it would be too much of coincidence if all those genetics would be in one jar and not the other.. it does make it suspect if you used a MS syringe, should be more of the same distribution i think - but it might as well be a coincidence.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 09 November 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#7 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

Oh alright, you said it would help to see the other jar and asked if they are the same strain etc but it don’t matter I just feel like you didn’t read me just say in the first post that the other jar was used as spawn already because although they showed the same characteristics it was the better of the two and that they are both MDK. No offense, just already wrote all of the information for the most part that I felt described the situation and you then made me feel as if I was inept to include those descriptions right away in order to get any kind of helpful reply. No biggy

#8 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

Like you assumed I didnt include information that anyone doing these things for even five days would know to write instead of just reading what I actually wrote. No worries man I took it the wrong way, felt like you were assuming i didn’t know better homie, like come on son! Lol :D

#9 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

Same ms syringe, I’m wondering if it’s even the mycelium I want at all. Scary.

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:17 PM

I get your assumption when I ask about the other jar when you already used it. Could have been you had made a picture of it before spawning. No worries, just thinking along here..

You could wait until it starts pinning I guess..

Edited by RutgerHauer, 09 November 2019 - 07:18 PM.

#11 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

Popcorn can give off some weird looking growth, yours looks pretty normal on popcorn.

I've been using popcorn a lot of recently due to not having a functioning pressure cooker, here's a pic of a jar that's currently colonizing

20191106_063414.jpg

That's the growth you described, when I shook it, it smelt like fresh mushrooms threw the filter so I'd say yours are fine too.20191106_063414.jpg

#12 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:55 PM

I just checked the bag with the jar spawned for it and it smelled raauuunch I chucked it all out, so weird. I was really excited about that syringe.... hmmmm...

#13 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:56 PM

No sorry, I actually typed it out kinda weird it’s my bad. Damn forums are hard to come across correctly on I swear!

#14 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:59 PM

What do I say to the vendor to get something back for it hopefully? It’s like the number one trusted vendor on reddit, I would imagine he will get my back for the time wasted.

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

I just checked the bag with the jar spawned for it and it smelled raauuunch I chucked it all out, so weird. I was really excited about that syringe.... hmmmm...

I don't have any way to prove it, but I suspect that kind of growth is due to bacterial infection.  When I have seen it in the past, it's often accompanied by lots of yellow metabolites.

What do I say to the vendor to get something back for it hopefully? It’s like the number one trusted vendor on reddit, I would imagine he will get my back for the time wasted.

If you feel like it was caused by the vendor's product itself and not contamination that occurred by your use of it, you could contact the vendor and send a copy of your receipt.  DON'T mention anything about cultivation.  Just say that it was defective and ask politely whether you could have a replacement. 

Vendors probably get these kinds of requests all the time and often I think the problem is not that they sent out a contaminated product.  I think a lot of times they'll be accommodating anyway, in order to protect their reputations.

Edited by Sidestreet, 10 November 2019 - 08:34 AM.

#16 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

Sidestreet, thanks for the reply. Yeah, idk out of between ten jars of different strains only the two of the same strain showed bacteria, and of the same kind right from the get.. soooo weird tho, if I wasn’t paying very close attention I wouldn’t have even noticed. I’m gonna try the same syringe one more time with like four jars I think, and I honestly won’t even ask for a refund there were nine other variety’s that were awesome.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!