9 replies to this topic

#1 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:47 AM

Hi there,

I have this jars I colonized on October 30th. On November 7th they were like this:

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

I checked them last night and most of them were fully  "white",  all visible parts of the jar are colonized. 

I'm planning to birth the cakes and go for the double casing tek. How do i know if they're ready to birth ? they look like they're fully colonized but you can only see the outer part of the cakes, what about the "core" of the cakes?

Thanks!

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

These are not ready to birth... There are clearly areas that are not fully colonized... It is really common for people to birth PF cakes early and either find that they sit in the fruiting chamber while they finish colonization or the center falls out because only the sides were colonized, etc... etc...

There is no way to find out if they are ready to birth prior to pinning because they aren't ready to be birthed until they pin...

When they pin, they are ready to be birthed...

• elunicotomas likes this

#3 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

These are not ready to birth... There are clearly areas that are not fully colonized... It is really common for people to birth PF cakes early and either find that they sit in the fruiting chamber while they finish colonization or the center falls out because only the sides were colonized, etc... etc...

There is no way to find out if they are ready to birth prior to pinning because they aren't ready to be birthed until they pin...

When they pin, they are ready to be birthed...

Those videos I posted are from 4 days ago,  now they're completely white.

Was looking at http://www.fanaticus.com/casing.htm and saw this:

Second: THE CASING TEK
Another really good way to max fruitings, it to not wait for the invitro primordiation. As soon as the cake turns completely white, it can be birthed and then cased. Immediately after the cake is first birthed is the time for a casing. fill a jar cap with vermiculite, soak it and drain it. Place the cake on top of the wet vermiculite.

So you birth the cakes without knowing for sure if they are fully colonized?

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

It is very common for the center to not be fully colonized despite the exterior being 100% white... You are going to be casing it in vermiculite no matter what so I am not sure what this guys point is.

I can't count the number of times I have watched people who are impatient birth them when they were all white and then start asking why they aren't fruiting... The reason they aren't fruiting is because they were not fully colonized through the center and are not going to fruit until the nutrient source has been exhausted.  You can birth them if you want, but don't be surprised if you find urself waiting much longer than expected... If there are sections that have not colonized and the cake falls apart exposing uncolonized BRF, you are going to open yourself to contamination risk.

• LegoMyego and elunicotomas like this

#5 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

It is very common for the center to not be fully colonized despite the exterior being 100% white... You are going to be casing it in vermiculite no matter what so I am not sure what this guys point is.

I can't count the number of times I have watched people who are impatient birth them when they were all white and then start asking why they aren't fruiting... The reason they aren't fruiting is because they were not fully colonized through the center and are not going to fruit until the nutrient source has been exhausted.  You can birth them if you want, but don't be surprised if you find urself waiting much longer than expected... If there are sections that have not colonized and the cake falls apart exposing uncolonized BRF, you are going to open yourself to contamination risk.

Got it, thanks!

#6 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

PJammer had it spot on my friend.  Wait until you see pinning inside the jar before opening.  I know it sucks to wait, but you've made it this far.  Why open the jar a few days early and risk ruining the cakes?  

You got this brother.  Good vibes

• elunicotomas likes this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

It is very common for the center to not be fully colonized despite the exterior being 100% white...

That's why I am vehemently opposed to the "inject in four spots along the side of the jar" part of PF tek (among other things :tongue: ). One port/injection sight, right in the middle. Then there's no surprises and it's 3 fewer potential contamination vectors.

I agree with everybody's advice previously given, keep up the good work elunicotomas!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 11 November 2019 - 02:31 PM.

• crazy1, PJammer24, clumsy and 1 other like this

#8 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

How do you, CatsAndBats, titrate the injection of mycelium when targeting the middle? I use visual feedback to know when I have injected a couple of drops (that's all it takes).

• CatsAndBats likes this

#9 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:57 PM

How do you, CatsAndBats, titrate the injection of mycelium when targeting the middle? I use visual feedback to know when I have injected a couple of drops (that's all it takes).

Can't speak for him but, visual representation of the syringe would be good. Easier with a 10cc syringe, pretty easy to gauge the amount you inject by watching liquid level against the little ruler like labeling on the side. Much harder with 20 and 30cc syringes IME :biggrin: if just a few drops is the goal then just be super gentle

• CatsAndBats likes this

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:01 PM

1cc is pretty standard and what I use for cakes if using a syringe. When I run cakes now it's just a hunk of agar.    ;)

• crazy1, elunicotomas and macgyver like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!