Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What is usable for the filter on spore jars.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Scarfeece

Scarfeece

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

I'm a new cultivator, are the duck brand polymailers the same as tyvek envelopes? What about the tyvek suit? Having trouble getting a post office envelope due to the hours I work.
  • Sidestreet and CatsAndBats like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:14 AM

Hey Scarfeece,

Anything called a poly mailer is going to be plastic.  Tyvek is a paper-like material that breathes. 

Try plugging this into Amazon: 

Survivor R1590 Tyvek USPS First Class Mailer, 10 x 13, White (Box of 100)

That's just a for example, though, because that's way more tyvek than you need.  I mean if you have to buy 100 go for it, but a handful of those would carry me a looooong way. 

Welcome!  I'm glad you decided to join up.

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

What do you mean by spore jars? Knocked up jars I am assuming?

• PJammer24 likes this

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

Pretty much anything tyvek. Sidestreet gives good advice with the postal service envelopes. I use to use those all the time but I could walk into a post office and pick them up off the shelf. I cant find them anymore unless I order them. Now I use tyvek bibs/jumpsuits. You can get them from an y home improvement store and they work great as well.
  • Sidestreet and CatsAndBats like this

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,648 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

Just a heads up. this could be moved to Fungi.

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

I'm a new cultivator, are the duck brand polymailers the same as tyvek envelopes? What about the tyvek suit? Having trouble getting a post office envelope due to the hours I work.

The post office will deliver tyvek envelopes (and any shipping materials) to one's house for free.

That said, tyvek aint got nothing on synthetic filter disks (SFD), which are rated down to the micron, IMHO.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 12 November 2019 - 11:29 AM.

• Sidestreet, dial8, crazy1 and 1 other like this

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:59 AM

You're right Dial, this should be in Fungi.  I'm going to hold off to see if the OP wants to respond, though.  I don't think they can post in the Fungi Forum until they post a couple more times.

• dial8 likes this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

I tend to move these threads out to the Welcome Mat for more views since this is a technological help forum - puff,puff, pass

We'll simply leave a re-direct for the OP to find and follow. 

• Sidestreet and dial8 like this

#9 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

Keep in mind, there is nothing magical about tyvek.

I've been using pieces cut from an old torn pair of bluejeans under micropore medical tape, it sort of makes a funnel so the smaller hole can vent through a larger surface of tape while preventing any grain from damaging or coating the tape in a shake.

post-160628-0-49981900-1571504137.jpg

Some people even use a dense wad of polyfill.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:32 PM

Microbe has used ez-felt, which is essentially polyfil that's been flattened out.

• Myc, Tenderfoot and bezevo like this

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

I read this as a request about how to apply a filter to a jar of spore solution but I am probably mistaken.

If by chance, I am correct... make two holes in the lid, fill the holes with silicone, and then remove the plunger from a syringe, fill the cavity with polyfill, and presto-bango.... you have filteredair entering your jar as you pull the solution out...

#12 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

Micropore tape man

It filters down to 0.03microns, I've used it for at least 9 years as replacement to tyvek. The vinyl one is the one to get.

It's perfect, just unwrap and tear a square and voila! Filter, no cutting or taping.

#13 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:27 PM

What really is MP tape though, I have a breathable paper tape but for some reason I don't trust it... I've read that it does nothing to stop spores or bacteria from coming through. I'm grappling with a few filter options right now, Polyfil is messy and contams when wet, I don't trust MP, I just got a bunch of tyvek from the post office but i don't trust the government. I don't know who to believe!

Silicone works well for SHIP, maybe a combo?

Edited by macgyver, 15 November 2019 - 09:29 PM.

#14 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 754 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:04 PM

Around here most   local SMALL TOWN  post offices have a self serve display  of  free shipping supply's with free tyvek envelopes. in there lobby's.

Several mentioned the cheapo tyvek disposable coveralls available at places like HOME DESPOT . ones a lifetime supply .

tyvek 

As CatsAndBats said "That said, tyvek aint got nothing on synthetic filter disks (SFD), which are rated down to the micron, IMHO."

i bought  the  very nice but pricey  29mm  synthetic filter disks (SFD) from  ShroomSupply

https://www.shroomsu...lter-disc-29-mm

There price has doubled since i bought mine . there still very nice heh

MANY USE Syringe Filters- 0.22 μm - PTFE Sizes: 13 mm & 25 mm  glued to lids with silicone

https://www.shroomsu...sizes-13mm-25mm

i found these Syringe Filters- cheaper on Amazon

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 15 November 2019 - 10:11 PM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#15 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

I just use a regular finely woven medical tape, that one would use to tape up bandages - Not necessarily the 'official' micropore tape that most people seem to like to use - which costs more. I have read tape doesn't filter very well so I use a couple of layers (with the mesh pattern orientated in different directions) to be safe. I use it on liquid culture jars as well.

Never had problems with contamination because of using this - and it does breathe enough for full colonization. If the tape will get nasty or wet after a shake I'll replace it carefully with a fresh piece of tape in my Still Air Box.

#16 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

The tyvek suits that Bezevo mentioned sometimes contain polyester (at least the one here in canada did) and it melted during pressure cooking.

You might want to stear clear of them. I've used tyvek envelopes a old buddy sent me by mail, the u.s ones. They worked fairly well up until I ran out since I dont think they're reusable.

Mp blocks mold and bacteria, it doesnt if the mold and bacteria is from cross contamination. I just g2g 14liters of popcorn using mp as the filter.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!