• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

Figures it would some dipshit Judge from Florida who approved this.

A judge said police can search the DNA of 1 million Americans without their consent. What’s next?

By Jocelyn Kaiser

Nov. 7, 2019 , 2:40 PM

For the first time, a state judge has forced a public genealogy site, GEDmatch, to allow police to search its entire database of DNA profiles. A detective wanted to find distant relatives of a serial rapist in hopes that their family trees could help him home in on a suspect—even though most of the 1.3 million people who have shared their DNA data with the site haven’t agreed to such a search.

The search warrant, reported this week by The New York Times, raises the alarming possibility of similar police searches of giant direct-to-consumer DNA sites such as Ancestry.com and 23andMe that are now closed to everyone except company customers who willingly submit a saliva sample.

https://www.sciencem...ent-what-s-next

It's almost funny to think that some people are shocked (shocked I say!) about this development that they somehow never saw coming.

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that it doesn't actually matter if you sent in a sample or not so long as a minimum number of people do. The rest can be extrapolated from that: https://www.smithson...sted-180970532/

https://www.nbcnews....a-tests-n824776

Edited by TVCasualty, 12 November 2019 - 07:37 PM.

• dial8, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:01 AM

Yep. Invasion of privacy. But why anyone is surprised with the blatant disregard of constitutional rights today is beyond me. We live in crazy times.

• TVCasualty, dial8, crazy1 and 1 other like this

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:42 AM

Wow, that's a can of worms.

Even with the Fourth Amendment, there is no place that a search cannot reach if the police can convince a magistrate to issue a warrant--or if one of the exceptions applies.  I'm interested to see that the feds are voluntarily limiting searches of these databases, but the fact that it's a voluntary limitation just further demonstrates that they could probably search more often if they wanted to.

Not only that, but I don't know that the customers of these genealogy sites have much of a Fourth Amendment interest in their data at all once they submit the swab to the company.  There's a legal rule called the Third Party Doctrine which says that you don't have a legal privacy interest in anything you hand over to someone else.  It's the reason you don't put contraband in your garbage.  Your spit and the data derived from it belongs to 23andMe, and they're the ones the warrant will involve.  Not you.

The moral of the story is STOP THROWING VALUABLE INFORMATION AT COMPANIES FOR STUPID REASONS.

• TVCasualty, dial8, crazy1 and 2 others like this

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

My dad sent his DNA in. I was completely dumbfounded. No way no how any internet or commercial company is getting my DNA. It's only a matter of time before those DNA samples fall into Big Brother's hands.

Edited by dial8, 13 November 2019 - 03:19 PM.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#5 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

I know dial8, this summer my mom and her siblings were all talking about how it came back they were all from the same area.
I just sat there shaking my head, they’re just volunteering their, and all famelial dna!!!

Nop not me either and brother, those companies ARE Big Brother.

Peace
  • dial8 and Juthro like this

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,902 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

Wasn't the point of all this that if your relatives have already sent in DNA, and it loosely can be connected with a crime, then you, without ever giving yours, could already be a suspect, and be pulled in and/or investigated?  With six degrees of separation, there already is no 4th amendment.

• dial8 and Skywatcher like this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

We're all connected by fewer than 6 degrees, as it turns out.

And thanks to all of our gullible relatives, we're all already "in the system."

I found it odd, and disturbing, but not a surprise that one of my uncles (by a marriage that ended in the 70's before I ever met the asshole) refuses to do the DNA thing even though the rest of his family did (my aunt and cousins; thanks a bunch guys, grr...). I suspect it's because he was a very corrupt former LAPD cop back when they acted with utter impunity (if people think police brutality is bad now...). I shudder to think of the skeletons in that sociopath's closet, and the fact they exist might be a good reason to swab him when he's passed out drunk and send it in on behalf of his likely victims.

I'm still thinking the thing to do is have "DNA Swapping" parties with your friends or any random group of unrelated people who are into it send in their swabs (not the other kind of DNA swapping, you preverts!) under different/fake/assumed names. As long as you keep track of the names they were sent in under the results would still be useful to you but maybe less-so to them.

This may not be a viable counter-measure once a critical mass of samples have been sent in and they could tell from that that you're not really who you say you are.

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:46 PM

Not to mention the whole Ring doorbell thing. Where people are volunteering to set up the surveillance-state for themselves.

Or the voice activated Alexa or "Hey Google" nonsense. "I'm a busy mom, so instead of typing into my phone, I'll just put voice activated bugging devices in every room in the house"

Thanks Karen.

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:06 AM

Would it be an expression of faith to point to a scientific Theory and say "Don't worry, Chaos will save us!"?

I mean, the math checks out. It's only a matter of time before the ol' Hidden Variable makes an appearance and mucks the whole game up by sending it off in a direction no one saw coming. 

I'm just curious if our hyper-complex world will experience discrete bursts of unpredictability that it can restabilize from for a while before they grow too big or numerous to allow recovery or if there will be a tipping-point type scenario that sees chaos/unpredictability begin and quickly go exponential/asymptotic until the collective fuse blows.

One very underappreciated (if not hidden) variable is the interesting hypothesis that in human systems, they can act sort of like quantum systems in that the act of measuring changes the subject of the measurement but it also changes the one taking the measurement. Being one of the watchers can apparently fuck you up real good, which is not too surprising. This was explored very well in the German movie The Lives of Others, about the Stasi in East Germany. It's worth a watch.

• CatsAndBats and Oneyedraven like this

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:28 AM

Would it be an expression of faith to point to a scientific Theory and say "Don't worry, Chaos will save us!"?

We're burying the lead here. When did you become a moderator? I mean that does support chaos theory. :tongue:

Edited by CatsAndBats, 14 November 2019 - 09:29 AM.

• Sidestreet, TVCasualty, dial8 and 1 other like this

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

We're burying the lead here. When did you become a moderator? I mean that does support chaos theory. :tongue:

Late 2006 or early 2007.

Then there was a bit of a hiccup.

• crazy1, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,796 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

I admit, I was surprised :ohmy:,  but I'm really happy to see you picked up the badge again :bat:.   Good for you, TV  :hug:

You've got my respect, and support   :excl:

(not that it was needed  :blush: )

Sorry, now its time for my :smoking-hookah:

• TVCasualty likes this

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,902 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:14 PM

[Direct Link]

• crazy1 likes this

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:04 AM

That may be one of the best lines in any movie, ever. It can be unpacked to mean a whole lot of things, literally and allegorically.

Another now-classic line ("There is no spoon") is the next evolutionary step from there in our journey of mental emancipation: "Badges?!? There are no badges!"

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!