16 replies to this topic

#1 Ronico

Ronico

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Hello everybody!

So I am about to fruit a dubtub and I will have kind of a problem when I harvest as I have no dehydrator. My question is how effctive is the fan drying teknik. And how would this tek improve if I use silika cristals after fan drying them. Will I get them cracker dry? If someone could help me I would appreciate it.

Love to all,

Ronico

#2 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:46 PM

Hello everybody!
So I am about to fruit a dubtub and I will have kind of a problem when I harvest as I have no dehydrator. My question is how effctive is the fan drying teknik. And how would this tek improve if I use silika cristals after fan drying them. Will I get them cracker dry? If someone could help me I would appreciate it.

Love to all,
Ronico

I use a dehydrator, and if you can afford it they can be pretty cheap.
From what I've read though, fan for about 24 -48 hours then into a dessicat chamber.
  • Ronico and Moonless like this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:08 PM

Check your local goodwill, thrift store or garage sale for a dehydrator andor fan!

• CatsAndBats and Ronico like this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,851 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:06 PM

Boycott Goodwill and go to the small locals.  I got a really nice stainless steel one last year at a garage sale for five bucks.  I had to do some electrical repairs and make screen shelves for it though.  It was a brand still being produced and sold for a couple $hundred. 

I'm sorry, but I gave it to a neighbor, and for the bullshit purpose of drying foods of all things!  Some people, eh?

• Juthro, CatsAndBats and Ronico like this

#5 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,532 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:58 AM

Hello everybody!

Love to all,

Ronico

That will work fine.

• dial8 and Ronico like this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,686 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

Heck with a Tek. You don't need someones username tied to information that has been passed on for decades. Simply placing fresh mushroom on a tray or basket and putting them in front of the fan for a couple of days works really well. I read somewhere that its great for large quantities that won't fit in a dehydrator, but can personally say for small jobs this is my go to method. I spent many years with buying fancy equipment that I just don't use anymore, But the dehydrator still makes good jerky and the cheap box fan does the job on the mushies.

• onediadem, dial8, TabbyBoy and 2 others like this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:45 PM

I just ate a peanut that had been sitting on the floor under my desk... sue me...

I don't know of anyone other than myself who has used this method... We will call it "The PJ Drying TEK"... I'm an OMC celebrity homies!! BUT.... For a very long time, I locked my mushies in a closet with a small dehumidifier... sucked the water out of the air and with it, out of the mushrooms....

If you have a dehumidifier on hand, this may be somthing you could use.

• Ronico likes this

#8 Ronico

Ronico

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

I just ate a peanut that had been sitting on the floor under my desk... sue me...

I don't know of anyone other than myself who has used this method... We will call it "The PJ Drying TEK"... I'm an OMC celebrity homies!! BUT.... For a very long time, I locked my mushies in a closet with a small dehumidifier... sucked the water out of the air and with it, out of the mushrooms....

If you have a dehumidifier on hand, this may be somthing you could use.

Heck with a Tek. You don't need someones username tied to information that has been passed on for decades. Simply placing fresh mushroom on a tray or basket and putting them in front of the fan for a couple of days works really well. I read somewhere that its great for large quantities that won't fit in a dehydrator, but can personally say for small jobs this is my go to method. I spent many years with buying fancy equipment that I just don't use anymore, But the dehydrator still makes good jerky and the cheap box fan does the job on the mushies.

Hello everybody!

Love to all,

Ronico

That will work fine.

Boycott Goodwill and go to the small locals.  I got a really nice stainless steel one last year at a garage sale for five bucks.  I had to do some electrical repairs and make screen shelves for it though.  It was a brand still being produced and sold for a couple $hundred. 

I'm sorry, but I gave it to a neighbor, and for the bullshit purpose of drying foods of all things!  Some people, eh?

Check your local goodwill, thrift store or garage sale for a dehydrator andor fan!

Hello everybody!

Love to all,
Ronico

I use a dehydrator, and if you can afford it they can be pretty cheap.
From what I've read though, fan for about 24 -48 hours then into a dessicat chamber.

Thanks for all neture shurumies!

I HOPE seniur muscamesca greets you all!

#9 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

This thread already discusses all things drying for storage:  https://mycotopia.ne...orage-protocol/

It's a thread I started not too long ago so it has the latest and greatest.  Good luck!

#10 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

I follow what Coorsmikey does exactly. I've used dessicant but a box fan dries them paper dry able to be easily crushed by hand to powder. I just point it at them and a couple days (often one day) they are powder dry. But I'm older and in no hurry to use them. :) I'm sure a dessicator works though esp if in a hurry?9d3c30ff04ba42bc0bb9ef4f525a4fef.jpg

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk
  • Ronico likes this

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

A fan by itself works great if you're in a dry climate, but I've always had to seal them in a box with dessicant to keep them cracker dry.  And I do think it's important to keep them really friggin dry if you're going to store them for more than a week or two.

• Ronico likes this

#12 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

If you have some monster shrooms I recommend to tear them apart so the batch dries evenly. Just pull from the base for a clean and easy split mushroom 

• Ronico likes this

#13 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

Ty. I sure will do that

• Ronico likes this

#14 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:08 PM

A fan by itself works great if you're in a dry climate, but I've always had to seal them in a box with dessicant to keep them cracker dry. And I do think it's important to keep them really friggin dry if you're going to store them for more than a week or two.

I have only dried little GTs and some small B+ I may need it for these fat boys

• Ronico likes this

#15 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:21 PM

I just dry mine with a fan till they snap or are “cracker dry”. Sometimes If I can’t get them all the way to cracker dry with the fan alone I’ll pop em in a jar with some silica gel packs (dirt cheap) to finish them off.

I usually pop a silica gel pack in whatever I’m storing them in to make sure they stay dry too.

Works great for me!

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 17 November 2019 - 11:22 PM.

• Ronico and Randys67 like this

#16 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

Perfect. Ty. These big boy PEAS took 3 days of box fan. Going to dry 30 or 40 gms in baked Epsom salt and lettuce crisper I got at Goodwill3d2f05942ca0565a66cd4ab14cb47b94.jpg

• Ronico likes this

#17 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Perfect. Ty. These big boy PEAS took 3 days of box fan. Going to dry 30 or 40 gms in baked Epsom salt and lettuce crisper I got at Goodwill3d2f05942ca0565a66cd4ab14cb47b94.jpg

Penis Envy. Thanks phone

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!