• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:43 PM

OK so my terms are pretty colonized and I’m just waiting for fruits at this point. It’s been a few weeks so it should be happening soon. But I have noticed that my cakes are pretty wet and kind of mushy. And overnight two nights ago the top layer of my mycelium turned kind of a bluish gray. Has anybody else had this experience? I’ve seen this kind of grayish tent on blocks that people have harvested before so my first Inclination is that it isn’t that big of a deal. Crossing my fingers. I’ve heard that bluing of the mycelium can happen when it doesn’t have enough moisture but I know that’s not the case in this situation because My cakes are extremely soggy and it’s not ideal I know I’m trying to fix it. But does anybody know about this or have had this happen? The first picture was the day before I believe in the second picture was the day after. The other pictures are close-ups.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3D78B8DF-158C-4D0C-B7BB-A4BFE348D184.jpeg
  • 5C06DE3A-841F-44E5-B989-33A37DF5D083.jpeg
  • 03757B06-C142-47F3-8C72-A668A0FA1F3B.jpeg
  • C93840F8-7A58-4D73-A47E-9DAFD4721E15.jpeg
  • B859857A-247B-4A21-A4F8-3FF3AF20E396.jpeg

#2 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:44 PM

And from what I can see it’s not a contamination it’s the actual mycelium changing that color. And it seems to be just the top layer the Mycillium underneath seems white and has what looks to be like roots.

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:56 AM

Classic overlay. Mix a few tablespoons of peroxide in a half gallon of water and saturate your sub. Let it sit like that for a few hours, then dry it off.  Take a fork and lightly scratch the surface where the myc looks matted. You dont have to, but it would be a good idea to lightly cover it with more casing. This is why I detest casing layers and predominantly use just straw.

#4 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:28 AM

Classic overlay. Mix a few tablespoons of peroxide in a half gallon of water and saturate your sub. Let it sit like that for a few hours, then dry it off. Take a fork and lightly scratch the surface where the myc looks matted. You dont have to, but it would be a good idea to lightly cover it with more casing. This is why I detest casing layers and predominantly use just straw.

What would you call a "few" tablespoons 3 or 4? I'm guessing the purpose of this is to knock out the weaker overlying mycelium? I always heard that H2O2 was a NO NO in this hobby. I'm just curious because I have overlay issues in a tub (last flush). I would like to prevent this in the future.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#5 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:46 AM

Overlay??? It hasn’t even fruited yet!?!? And what’s overlay exactly??

#6 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:05 AM

Overlay??? It hasn’t even fruited yet!?!? And what’s overlay exactly??

Unless you are working with a clone monoculture you are going to have several competing strains in your sub. Sometimes one will grow over the other causing overlay. This wispy looking mycelium likes to catch water and make it pool on the surface. This is my interpretation from what I have read so if I'm wrong someone should correct me so we all can learn together.
  • Ghostshroom likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:41 AM

You mixed your spawn and substrate at the end of October according to your other thread.... It has not been "a few weeks" it has barely been two weeks...

When people say 2-2.5 weeks until it fruits, they don't mean from the day of inoculation, they mean from the day you put it into the tub...

You really need to start being more selective about who you are listening to.

• coorsmikey, buzzkilluton and stonnerkidd like this

#8 Ghostshroom

Ghostshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:05 PM

I figured out why it was greyish blue. I bruised the top layer and it seems to be turning white and comeing back slowly

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!