40 replies to this topic

#1 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:13 AM

When I first joined this fantastic forum I said that I would start a grow log of sorts and I finally have the time to get going on this. I've been rather crazy busy the last couple months and my growing has been somewhat scattered. I have, during this busy time, been reading kind of obsessively and researching as much as my free time has allowed for. I have managed to accomplish quite a bit in terms of collecting everything I want/need to set a few different things up (and grow some mushies in the process)...which I will slowly go through in this (likely very long) post. 

First, I'll start with a summary of things and get up to speed to where I am now. 

In my initial haste to get things going and try set up a low maintenance grow I decided to start with Chronic's invitro tek and built an insulated fish tank with heating pads to get a fruiting chamber set up with the tek's stipulated temperatures. This tek uses PF cakes so that's where I started and managed to get some cakes to 100% and fruited them in quart jars. The strain I started with is a supposed South African cubensis called 'Natal Super Strength'. As I've learned more and grown a little more, I've realised that this strain is an odd one. Very tomentose and has a tendency to produce long spindly fruits (as can be seen in the pic below). 

tomentose mini tub IMG_20190930_130710_884 - Copy.jpg spindly growth form IMG_20191110_172126 - Copy.jpg

Guess this growth confused me quite a bit because I expected something more along the lines of typical cubensis shaped mushrooms. i read an read some more, and asked some questions and thought that the growth traits were due to too high moisture content in the FC and not enough FAE. I think I was sort of correct to an extent but at the same time I feel that the genetics I've been working with aren't great. 

After not being happy with yield, growth form and potency I decided that the next step in my mycadventures should be to learn how to pasteurize and use my cakes as spawn. So, the next batch of cakes I had made I did just that using a coir verm bucket pasteurizing tek. This worked kind of OK and I got some better fruits .

IMG-20191003-WA0010 - Copy.jpg

While this was all happening I decided to get working on a bit of a better bulk method as I still wasn't particularly pleased with the yield when compared to the effort. Here's where I made my first mistake and decided to try and make my own idea work instead of following a tek to the T. Needless to say, this didn't work, I wasted some spawn, got no fruits, ended up with contaminated mini tubs and learned a bunch. Damned Trichoderma! Also lost some stuff to bacteria but that's how one learns. 

During this time of learning and frustrations I decided that it would be best if I followed a monotub tek to the T and give bulk a shot. I bought two tubs, got some new strains, collected a bunch of shit (literally....hpoo), researched pasteurizing and got some great advice. I nocced up a bunch of jars with the remaining natal super strength I had left in a syringe i had made from the initial print I bought and then also a Golden Teacher LC syringe I was given as a freebie when I bought a Pan cambo spore swab (more on this later...). I used the old no prep rye berry tek detailed out by the great Hippie3. The jars worked for the most part but I some got contaminated with bacteria and they stalled out on me. They're in the garden and the spawn colonized a bunch of spare hpoo/verm/coir sub. No fruits yet (any advice here would be useful..I know I can't force them but perhaps there's something I can do to help..). 

So, while all this has been going on, I've been working on getting an automated FC chamber going and initially wanted to get a Martha or similar but they're not available here in SA. A friend advertised a canna grow tent at a decent price and I took that and a light off his hands (light has been sold and recouped half of what I paid). This set up is for getting an FC set up so that I can dial it in and get Pan cyans going and a bunch of edibles I'm keen on. I also want to use it to grow smaller tubs of the different varieties I've got my hands on so that I can make a bit of a print bank for trading and to keep my own library. As of yet I have the tent, a shit humidifier and I've just ordered the shelves. I have some PC fans that I want to see if I can use but this project will likely warrant a thread on it's own...

Anyway, back to where I'm at... the two monotubs. Well, they were successful and are into the 2nd flush now. Here are a bunch of photos. The NSS is multi spore and I'm not certain on the GT as it was a LC and not specified but I think it was MS. Here are some pics of the two tubs.. 

GT's 

Slightly bigger than pins IMG_20191110_171742 - Copy.jpg  IMG_20191110_171805 - Copy.jpg

Next day IMG_20191111_195357 - Copy.jpg  IMG_20191111_195410 - Copy.jpg

If you look closely on the last pic you can see vertical lines on the GT stems. Is this verticillium (dry bubble..)? 

Natal Super Strength

IMG_20191110_170833 - Copy.jpg  IMG_20191110_170838 - Copy.jpg  IMG_20191111_202251 - Copy.jpg  IMG_20191111_202307 - Copy.jpg

Managed a first flush harvest of 51g dry GT and 35g dry of the NSS. Will see how the next week goes. Not entirely sure on how much I should expect but I'm quite happy with this as a first monotub grow!

I'm in the process of trying and testing different sources of grain and finding something cheap and effective to work with. About a week back I prepped 8 quarts of popcorn and 8 quarts of wheat berries. These were inoculated with psilocybe cubensis Ecuador (anyone had good experience with these?) and are busy incubating at the bottom of the closet made up for the monotubs. Here's a pic...I'm quite happy with this set up! IMG_20191111_210824 - Copy.jpg

I plan on spawning to 3 mono's and then using the left over grain to make some small tubs for fruiting to print as well as some G2G transfers. 

And, that brings me to yesterday where I used two GT shrooms to attempt my first agar cloning. I used a standard MEA agar recipe (10g agar, 15g Malt extract, 500ml dH20, microwaved until dissolved then autoclaved for 15min at 121C and 15PSI). I am lucky enough to use the labs laminar flow and after pouring the plates I switched on the UV for a few mins with all my equipment and the agar plates exposed before I turned on the white light and fan. I sliced a little into the base of each mushroom before tearing it in half and using a fresh scalpel blade to cut out some of the mushroom in the center. I did this after leaving the freshly picked mushrooms in the fridge for 24 hours and it made the center really easy to differentiate from the stem. I know there is a correct term for 'the center' but I can't quite remember it now... I'll update this thread with how those go in the next couple days. Any idea when I should start seeing a little growth on those dishes? 

Thanks to everyone that has helped me along the way and to get this far in the few months I've been growing and enjoying this fantastic hobby  :biggrin:

• Sidestreet, coorsmikey, Baphom3t and 4 others like this

#2 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

While this was all happening I decided to get working on a bit of a better bulk method as I still wasn't particularly pleased with the yield when compared to the effort. Here's where I made my first mistake and decided to try and make my own idea work instead of following a tek to the T. Needless to say, this didn't work, I wasted some spawn, got no fruits, ended up with contaminated mini tubs and learned a bunch. Damned Trichoderma! Also lost some stuff to bacteria but that's how one learns. 

What method did you try that made you fail?

#3 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:03 PM

What method did you try that made you fail?

Well, I kind of tried to mix a few methods. I got this long containers that are about 60L but not very tall. Drilled them like a monotub and stuffed the holes with polyfill but I stuffed them pretty dense and that restricted the airflow quite a lot. The idea was to have 6 lunch box/shoe box sized tubs that I would fruit in there so that I didn't risk an entire mono to contamination. The initial attempt at this I only had two of these mini tubs inside the big long one due to only having a couple PF cakes to use as spawn. The spawn colonised the sub well and then I had to go away for a few weeks and leave a friend in charge. He's greener than me and we are both learning together. Being quite far away and smothering the grow essentially led to the tubs producing a couple small fruits then getting trich. I think I could make this work but would need to really dial in the humidity and airflow in there. In the end, it was just an experiment and I was using those cakes to learn from anyway. I'm much happier with the way things are going now and the failed tub is now a storage container with some big holes in it lol!

#4 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

GT clones on agar have started doing their thing. Looking forward to seeing them go.
Not entirely sure what's happening with that white dot on the edge of the one dish though...
All the others are only showing growth on the clone tissue. Hopeful signs of a good start 5f733ae1120e8d6a1cad8179993239c0.jpg0e905079ae6d244d989f54fc79be947d.jpg2659a84af89eafdf735054e8f411dc4e.jpg

#5 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:30 AM

Very happy with how the clones are moving on. Only one of the plates seem to have a spot of bacteria (I think?) in the post above this one. Here's my favorite if the 8 dishes I did. 0cd196ee998c003d4c1b96d9adac2a17.jpg

Edited by Nicked, 16 November 2019 - 04:31 AM.

• Sidestreet and crazy1 like this

#6 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, that spot in the one dish above does look like bacteria to me.

I like your closet!  If you can get a little fan on a timer in there you can really dial in the FAE.

• crazy1 and Nicked like this

#7 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

Yeah, that spot in the one dish above does look like bacteria to me.

I like your closet! If you can get a little fan on a timer in there you can really dial in the FAE.

I'm watching that spot closely. I actually want to deal with contaminants on the agar so I can learn. Really enjoying the agar work. It's so cool seeing it grow out.

I'm also stoked on that closet. It worked out pretty perfectly. Got one or two more adjustments to do to the wooden shelves and I'm definitely going to try get a fan or two in there on a timer. The grain jars will be moving somewhere else and we can do 4 monos in there when the grain incubates somewhere else. I think I'm gonna be super busy lol. Any suggestions on how to do these fans would be great. I'm guessing the bottom shelf facing up. There is no roof to the closet and the closet has a window next to it that we leave open most of the day for FAE. Definitely feel like it can be dialed in better but not entirely sure just how to do that just yet..

#8 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:42 AM

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to work with contaminants whether you want to or not. 

With a fan in a close space like that, it doesn't have to be too strong and it doesn't have to point directly at the tubs.  You just want to get some air moving around the tubs.  When you first set it up, keep a close eye on the moisture levels in the tubs for several days.  You want the fan to be providing plenty of fresh air without drying the tubs out.  There should still be plenty of condensation on the inner walls.

• crazy1 and Nicked like this

#9 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to work with contaminants whether you want to or not.

With a fan in a close space like that, it doesn't have to be too strong and it doesn't have to point directly at the tubs. You just want to get some air moving around the tubs. When you first set it up, keep a close eye on the moisture levels in the tubs for several days. You want the fan to be providing plenty of fresh air without drying the tubs out. There should still be plenty of condensation on the inner walls.

Oh I've already had some trich and bacteria issues to deal with in my jars.. So have some contamination experience already but not with agar... Yet.

Gonna put a fan at the top and point it down and dial in the timing. Will keep a close eye on the moisture for sure. Will post pics when it's all set up.

#10 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:02 AM

So I got two small USB fans into that closet yesterday and rigged to a timer. Have one set above the top shelf and one in the middle on the opposite side. Didn't take any photos but will do that at some point. Have it set to a timer to turn on for 5mins every 3 hours and am monitoring it to see how this affects moisture/condensation.
My agar clones are colonizing fast and will put some pics up this evening. I moved my Ecuador grain jars into a warmer space yesterday and it seems to have helped speed things up a bit. Next grow will be 4X monos of Ecuador multi spore.
Harvested the 2nd flushes of the GT and Natal tubs and got some good prints for my library which I'm very happy about. I left this flush a touch longer so I could get those prints. Also got gifted an awesome home made bulk pasteurizer which needs a little fixing up which I'm gonna do this weekend. Made from a large 100L plastic drum, geyser element and thermostat. Will put some pics up after I finish fixing it. c81b73dcaa59b5e90c7c27c60c732591.jpg
  • Sidestreet and crazy1 like this

#11 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:13 AM

Aside from the mono's I've got going I am in the process of setting up an automated grow chamber that can mostly be set and forget. I have currently got the tent and the shelving and mistakenly purchased a small and shitty humidifier that I think I'll find another use for. I'm looking into setting up a bucket with a fogger and was wanting some advice on which size fogger I should get. The tent dimensions is 80cmX80cmX160cm and is likely similar in size to a Martha. Should I get the 3 disc fogger or will the single disc fogger be sufficient. I will primarily want to be growing oysters and Pans in the tent.... 

*edit; the tent is hydroponic grow tent... https://www.takealot...of/PLID53771739

Edited by Nicked, 20 November 2019 - 08:15 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#12 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:32 AM

Aside from the mono's I've got going I am in the process of setting up an automated grow chamber that can mostly be set and forget. I have currently got the tent and the shelving and mistakenly purchased a small and shitty humidifier that I think I'll find another use for. I'm looking into setting up a bucket with a fogger and was wanting some advice on which size fogger I should get. The tent dimensions is 80cmX80cmX160cm and is likely similar in size to a Martha. Should I get the 3 disc fogger or will the single disc fogger be sufficient. I will primarily want to be growing oysters and Pans in the tent.... 

*edit; the tent is hydroponic grow tent... https://www.takealot...of/PLID53771739

Anyone got any tips on this???

#13 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

Prepped some popcorn last night and filled up some small pf tek sized jars so that I can make some mycelium slurry syringes following BuckarooBanzai's tek (https://mycotopia.ne...-inoculant-tek/). Used some fuzzy wedges of one of my GT clone plates and hoping those colonize quickly so that my process of grain jar colonizing speeds up a little and I can get things going a little more efficiently. 

• crazy1 likes this

#14 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

Thought I'd update on the GT clone plates with a photo. Quite happy with how they've come out. One plate had some bacteria and I did a transfer which was successful and the one plate where I thought there was a contam (see earlier post in thread) turned out not to be a contam but rather a tiny piece of mushroom and the two points colonised into each other (bottom right plate in Pic). 2f6cd7540d71a889a4df0cbaf348eb8c.jpg
  • RutgerHauer and macgyver like this

#15 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

During my last spawn run I had two grain jars that stalled and definitely smelled bacterial so along with some leftover pasteurized substrate I mixed them up in a small patch near the compost heap. The patch colonized fully and threw up some fruits. Interestingly the two jars were two different strains. One was golden teachers and the other a relatively recently discovered South African strain called Natal Super Strength. Well they both fruited in the same small patch and it was really fun doing a small outdoor patch and seeing the difference in growth forms. 1ffa12ae8c5bf3224a2c16e26dd8e78d.jpg3f5c3fc120becd07b3ef0c3e04093f76.jpgfce0f251bd59bd0c2030ae3eb0ae25eb.jpgc0c769dfe0c0a2019405ae426ae58ace.jpg
  • crazy1 and RutgerHauer like this

#16 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Wow nicked you seem like your pretty dam successful with this hobby. I too have gotten a little "obsessed" lol. But with my current living situation i cannot have a bunch of projects going at once. Im only allowed a small closet to work with. My first brf jars all contaminated because i was handling them waaaaay to much. 4 times a day i would pick them up and look all around, get drunk and drop them! The one time i dropped a jar and it rolled across the floor haha. But yeah my plan was with my second grow to spawn to monotub. I already had one made. But low and behold only 4 half pinf jars made it. Not nearly enough for a 66qt monotub. So i had to turn my monotub into a sgfc. After weeks of dialing in and problems with low humidity i finally found what works for me. Although i didnt make a proper sgfc. Im sure if i followed the tek perfectly i wouldnt need what im going to show u. When i get home ill take a pic of my setup.
  • Nicked likes this

#17 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

Haha thanks for the kind words. I spend an obscene amount of time trawling this forum and soaking in as much knowledge as I can. I'm definitely quite lucky with the space I have available and with the little successes I've had so far. I've encountered many hurdles along the way and those mistakes have all turned into the most valuable lessons moving forward. Learning what doesn't work is almost as valuable as learning what does work! Looking forward to seeing your setup..

#18 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

So in no way is this a professional setup. But im sure the experts here have seen it all lol. Basically i couldn't keep my humidity up and my fruits were aborting/stalling left and right. My little fan would rattle on the wall. I was getting discouraged. I tryed an air stone that lead into a water jar inside the chamber and that didnt help. Even with a cool mist humidifier in the closet. So i tryed this as a last resort. As soon as i propped a fabricated foil tube from the humidifier to the chamber my RH shot right to 99. My fruits no longer stalled and became very shiney/healthy looking. My cheap hydrometer actually broke and is stuck at 99, probably couldnt handle the humidity. Buy its so wet in there now i have to keep the humidifier turned to the lowest setting just so water doesn't drip from the bottom. Im sure there is a better way to execute this tek but the main idea is to just connect the humifier to the tub. Doesnt even need to be exact. As long as most of the vapor enters the chamber.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191127_140648.jpg
  • 20191127_140716.jpg
  • 20191127_140728.jpg
  • 20191127_140747.jpg

#19 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

Btw the holes are tapped off on the tub. I left 1 hole open on the opposite side of the humidifier

#20 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

No more misting. You ever mist out half a bottle of water with a fine mist sprayer? Takes forever and kind of uncomfortable on the wrist. No more noisy fan cause oxygen is also entering the chamber.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!