40 replies to this topic

#21 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

It's always good when something starts to work! Do you think that there may be too much moisture in your tub with the humidifier running 24/7? I'm sure you can dial that setup in nicely if you get the humidifier rigged up onto a timer plug. Also is the perlite soaked? That would add to the RH in there quite a lot. I moved to monotubs recently and definitely recommend them. Popcorn seems to be a pretty easy grain to use instead of the cakes if you are thinking of trying out a mono in the near future and want to try something other than pf cakes.

Edited by Nicked, 27 November 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#22 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:03 PM

No more misting. You ever mist out half a bottle of water with a fine mist sprayer? Takes forever and kind of uncomfortable on the wrist. No more noisy fan cause oxygen is also entering the chamber.

The monos I'm using now seem to have good RH and don't really need misting. I havent really had a setup where I have had to mist much to be honest. First try was Chronic Tek which has no misting then I made a fish tank with two heating pads. Each pad under a tub of perlite and the whole fishtank insulated. Wasn't pretty but it produced mushrooms... Mushrooms that needed more FAE. That's turning into a grain jar incubator now.. Minus the perlite and moisture..

#23 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

Well it only drips a tiny bit. If i opened up the other holes i can dial it correctly. Yes as i said before my plan was to spawn to a monotub originally but lost more then half my jars to contams. After all the knowledge ive gathered recently though these setups are way inappropriate. I only did brf cakes cause i did not have a PC. I recently bought one and the first thing i did was inoculate 8 wbs qt jars with some b+.hoping i dont loose too many but they look decent so far
  • Nicked likes this

#24 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

Well it only drips a tiny bit. If i opened up the other holes i can dial it correctly. Yes as i said before my plan was to spawn to a monotub originally but lost more then half my jars to contams. After all the knowledge ive gathered recently though these setups are way inappropriate. I only did brf cakes cause i did not have a PC. I recently bought one and the first thing i did was inoculate 8 wbs qt jars with some b+.hoping i dont loose too many but they look decent so far

Doesnt sound too dissimilar to my trials and tribulations with my first few grows! Looking forward to seeing how your tubs turn out with the grain.

#25 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

So i shook all jars at like 5 %. Then i shook this one at 20%. It recovered nicely. Do you think i should go for a third to finish this beast off?

Attached Thumbnails

• 15748860880068883089774727257410.jpg

• Nicked likes this

#26 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

So i shook all jars at like 5 %. Then i shook this one at 20%. It recovered nicely. Do you think i should go for a third to finish this beast off?

Bare in mind that my knowledge is mostly from reading, and what I have read is that one should shake at around 25 to 30% and then let it colonise to 100% from there and then shake to break it up again when you spawn to bulk. Did this one get shaken at both 5 and 20% or just at 20%? If it recovered nice and fast then you've got healthy Myc in there that could handle another shake. A shake might get it to a 100% faster than just leaving it but I have not tested this out so can't really say for sure. I'd personally just be patient and let it colonise to 100% without the shake. Really good looking jar that btw!

#27 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

Dont shake too often. What is too often? I dont know. I personally wouldn't shake more than once after the mycelium has built up some strength, if you shake it well you dont have to again.

I only shake when I inoculate with LC, after that I just let it be. Seems to work fine.

If there is a contaminant in there, hiding, you spread that all over the jar too.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 27 November 2019 - 03:40 PM.

• Nicked likes this

#28 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Well they bounced back after a 5% and 20% i think it doesn't matter too much. Of course you dont wanna shake everyday lol. Maybe as long as the shake is done when the myc is healthy (as in recovered from a previous shake). I could be completely wrong though lol. Ive read conflicting things on the subject this is just my experience. Rutger wouldnt you want contams to show there ugly face sooner then later? Nicked i wont fill up your log with my own log as i will make a thread when the time comes. Love your work though
  • Nicked likes this

#29 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:24 AM

I would rather want the contaminants to stay where they are so the mycelium can maybe deal with them more easily.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 28 November 2019 - 02:24 AM.

#30 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

3rd flush boomer in the GT tub. If my other grains were ready I'd pop this tub outside but I'm gonna give a go at a 4th flush. f6feafc465839ff64a797c9e97b33635.jpg
  • adrian118 and macgyver like this

#31 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

Thats a beast!! Fingers crosses on your 4th flush. Btw those wbs jars i had smelled like apples when i opened them :'( weird that they recovered each time i shook them. Back to the drawing board for me!
  • Nicked likes this

#32 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:08 PM

It has to be from shaking them. Maybe at the wrong times? Ive come to this conclusion because i have some jars that never grew. They were never shook, and when i opened them they smelled like fresh bird seed. I dont understand how bacteria entered the jars just from being shook. The polyfill on my jars are nicely packed. I guess its not a goof idea to shake them to early. Next time ill try 1 shake at 50 percent.
  • Nicked likes this

#33 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:01 AM

Thats a beast!! Fingers crosses on your 4th flush. Btw those wbs jars i had smelled like apples when i opened them :'( weird that they recovered each time i shook them. Back to the drawing board for me!

Ah that's a bummer! I'm still learning a lot and my grain jar success rate is far from ideal. My last run I seem to have lost about half the jars to something or other. Guess that's what happens when using MS from a print. Agar all the way for me from now on! Have certainly seen the light. 

#34 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:07 AM

It has to be from shaking them. Maybe at the wrong times? Ive come to this conclusion because i have some jars that never grew. They were never shook, and when i opened them they smelled like fresh bird seed. I dont understand how bacteria entered the jars just from being shook. The polyfill on my jars are nicely packed. I guess its not a goof idea to shake them to early. Next time ill try 1 shake at 50 percent.

Could be from a variety of things really. Really difficult to nail down exactly how or where it came in from. If your jars were sealed I don't think it could have come in from shaking. It would have to be there already and shaking would just distribute it around the jar and give it more of a chance to take over the whole jar... I think grains are quite tricky to get right, at least in my experience with them so far. I'm pretty happy with how popcorn is working for me and I have some whole oats to try out soon. Rye and wheat have worked but not as well as the popcorn. I'm gonna get popcorn working as best as I can now and try to perfect that technique and then start trying other grains again. 

#35 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:09 AM

You should try using millet, once I switched to the no soak/no simmer tek I never looked back, I just put 7 jars together this morning in 5 minutes and they’re just about to come out of the PC.
  • Nicked likes this

#36 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

You should try using millet, once I switched to the no soak/no simmer tek I never looked back, I just put 7 jars together this morning in 5 minutes and they’re just about to come out of the PC.

I have been eyeing out your jars to be honest. Has definitely made me keen to try millet out. What's your no prep recipe? Would be keen to give it a bash as I'm gonna need to prep some more jars soon

#37 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

I put 275g of millet into a quart jar, and then add 170g of water and pc for 90 min, when they’re done you just gotta give it a good shake and they come apart super easy, just gotta keep shaking a few times while they cool to distribute the moisture. If your using them for g2g I have another smaller ratio for that so you can fit the grains in.

I’m taking a few pics this morning I can show ya what they look like before and after a good shake.
  • Nicked likes this

#38 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:13 AM

Just gotta make sure ya get the un-hulled millet from a feed store, I made the mistake the first time buying it from a grocery store and ended up with some nice jars of porridge lol
  • Nicked likes this

#39 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:13 AM

Awesome. Thanks! I'll add that to my grain recipe book. Ratios for smaller G2G jars would be great.

#40 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

Just gotta make sure ya get the un-hulled millet from a feed store, I made the mistake the first time buying it from a grocery store and ended up with some nice jars of porridge lol

Good beta that... I have some de-hulled oats that I'm not entirely sure what to do with as I bought them thinking it was what I needed but definitely wasn't.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!