• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theshado

theshado

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:44 AM

Is there anything I can do in regards to my spent cake and transferring it to an agar plate? I only got 2 flushes off this cake so didn’t do a transfer from a fresh shroom thinking I had at least one more to grow

#2 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 147 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:21 AM

I have no idea but my logic is that there's no harm in trying. You're not really risking anything except losing a bit of agar if it doesn't work and of course some agar. With absolutely zero experience and just going off pure logic here, my recommendation would be to make sure you take a piece of myc from the center of your cake and not from the outside as the outside is most likely contaminated with something. Perhaps a gentle wipe down or spray of the outside of the cake with some H2O2 solution before you move it to a glove box or SAB to transfer to agar would be a good idea. Hopefully some of those with more experience will chime in. 

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,588 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:22 AM

I only have a little agar experience but I think it could work.  Kind of like Nicked said: In a clean environment, I would dunk the cake in alcohol briefly before breaking it open by hand and taking the samples from the interior with a scalpel.  Make multiple plates.

I'm sure someone with more experience will come along.

• Nicked likes this

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

Its an idea, but dont you have any other source material you can work from, like spores or a syringe? Whats the reason you want to go further from this cake and not starting with something fresh?

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

I'd just treat the cake like a fruit to be cloned.

• Sidestreet, crazy1 and bezevo like this

#6 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

I've taken cakes that were still healthy, say after 2nd flush, and cheese grated them into bulk with great success. 

Not to say it will always happen..............but..............

Peace

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!