18 replies to this topic

#1 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:24 AM

So I was gifted a folded piece of paper containing a lot of spores from wild collected cubensis that a friend found while in Brazil a few years ago. He has a passion for mushrooms and has grown quite a few in his time. He still dabbles but wasn't going to do anything with these spores so they came my way and I'm pretty darn excited about trying to get them going. I do have a grow log I started but I feel this probably warrants a thread on it's own. All the detail I can provide is that he collected them and printed them to the paper a few years ago and they've been sitting in this paper folded in a book for a few years. The spores have all come loose in the folded paper but there is A LOT of spores in there. I have absolutely no idea if they're viable or not and logically it would make the most sense to try get them going on agar first. Now, I've just started dabbling in agar and have done my very first agar work in the past few days. I currently have 8 petri dishes with attempts at clones going and have about 18 unused, poured petri dishes in my fridge. I just used a very standard recipe of 10g agar agar, 15g MEA and 500ml distilled water. I have been slowly going through various threads on agar work and am learning much and the scope for experimenting is quite amazing. From what I have noticed there are different recipes for different things and was wondering if there is a particular recipe that I should use for a project such as this (old, probably contaminated spores...)? Or should I just give it a go with MEA agar plates I have ready and see how things go. Another useful piece of information is that I do have access to a laminar flow cabinet for this work which should help quite a bit. 

I look forward to seeing this through and hopefully (with the help of all the awesome people on here) getting these guys fruiting. 

• bezevo and Kensho like this

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

I'm not sure about this specific question, but your agar recipe might be a bit too nutricious in general, i would go for 10 grams malt extract next time.

Less nutrition means less chance of contamination.

I would just give it a try with the good old spores. I read that people sometimes 'rehydrate' the spores first, but not sure how that is done.

Good luck with it - I am trying to get spores from a wild specimens to germinate on agar as well but unfortunately i have been struggling with contamination a lot - this is expected from groing from spores that have been out in the open.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 14 November 2019 - 06:36 AM.

• Nicked likes this

#3 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:06 AM

@RutgerHauer thanks for the input! I followed the standard MEA recipe in Fast Fred's Media Cookbook for that but i get what you're saying with the nutrition. That would make sense. I'll adjust and play around with my next batches. Hopefully i don't get too many contamination issues. I'll give the spores a try on a couple dishes and see what happens. I also thought a little on rehydrating spores first but apart from making a highly concentrated spore syringe I'm not entirely sure how to do this. Let's see who else chimes in...

• RutgerHauer likes this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

@RutgerHauer thanks for the input! I followed the standard MEA recipe in Fast Fred's Media Cookbook for that but i get what you're saying with the nutrition. That would make sense. I'll adjust and play around with my next batches. Hopefully i don't get too many contamination issues. I'll give the spores a try on a couple dishes and see what happens. I also thought a little on rehydrating spores first but apart from making a highly concentrated spore syringe I'm not entirely sure how to do this. Let's see who else chimes in...

If you are attempting to rehydrate spores, just make your spore solution syringe and let them sit in the water for a day or two... They will rehydrate naturally.

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

Is that the method to use for spores collected in the wild though? Seems to me that is asking for trouble..

#6 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:31 AM

If you are attempting to rehydrate spores, just make your spore solution syringe and let them sit in the water for a day or two... They will rehydrate naturally.
If I were to do this how much should I make and how much would I use on an agar dish...

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Is that the method to use for spores collected in the wild though? Seems to me that is asking for trouble..

I agree with Rutger on that.

• Nicked likes this

#8 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

How would you recommend I go about things Cat? I've been meticulously going through your Agar thread and learning a lot. I'd really value your input here
  • bezevo likes this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

How would you recommend I go about things Cat? I've been meticulously going through your Agar thread and learning a lot. I'd really value your input here

Not sure what your agar process is, but mine leaves a little condensation above the agar, enough to hydrate spores.

If I had a wild print, I'd take my inoculation tool (scalpel, loop, wire, etc), go into the new agar to get the tool a little moist, then go to the print, drag the tool thru some spores, then go to the agar and drag across the surface so that there will be plenty of places to grab clean tissue from once it germinates:

post-147940-0-47174100-1508765507.jpg

I'd do this on at least 5 agar plates/jars to help ensure success.

From here:https://mycotopia.ne...23#entry1340682

• Tenderfoot and Nicked like this

#10 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

Not sure what your agar process is, but mine leaves a little condensation above the agar, enough to hydrate spores.

If I had a wild print, I'd take my inoculation tool (scalpel, loop, wire, etc), go into the new agar to get the tool a little moist, then go to the print, drag the tool thru some spores, then go to the agar and drag across the surface so that there will be plenty of places to grab clean tissue from once it germinates:

I'd do this on at least 5 agar plates/jars to help ensure success.

From here:https://mycotopia.ne...23#entry1340682

Thanks @CatsAndBats  :thumbs_up2:

I don't have an inoculation loop but I'll work with a scalpel and see how things go. I'll do five dishes tomorrow and update again a few days later. 

Still got a way to go to get through to the end of your catattack some agar thread but I'm getting there. Super excited to get to grips with agar

#11 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:40 AM

6 petri dishes smeared with spores this morning.. Holding thumbs some of these take.
I think I smeared too many spores. Working with a scalpel and clumps of loose spores is tricky. Ordering some inoculation loops asap c09c2b635c298483d3bc36973ff9872c.jpg4dae3f596d9c955e0807ea08951ffac4.jpg
  • bezevo, RutgerHauer, macgyver and 1 other like this

#12 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

Wicked, I'm watching this thread.
  • Nicked likes this

#13 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:05 AM

Nothing to report back yet... One plate seems to have a nice large spot of something that doesn't look like mycelium, but otherwise nothing. Guessing that if there isn't anything around the 7 day mark I should start thinking of a new recipe to try. Thinking of including some 'cattatives', a lower nutrient ratio and some activated carbon in the recipe. Any suggestions welcome...  

#14 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:21 AM

Could be a while longer before they germinate, especially since the spores aren't as fresh as would be ideal!
  • Nicked likes this

#15 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:32 AM

Another update... No sign of anything happening in all dishes except one which developed three quickly expanding spots of green Trich. Disposed of that one. I'll be making a new batch of low nutrient agar with some activated charcoal in the next few days and giving it another bash.

#16 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:40 AM

Another update... No sign of anything happening in all dishes except one which developed three quickly expanding spots of green Trich. Disposed of that one. I'll be making a new batch of low nutrient agar with some activated charcoal in the next few days and giving it another bash.

If it were me, considering the rarity of these spores, I would let contaminated plates grow out and then clean them up by transferring some of the healthy myc to a new plate and then tossing the one that is contaminated... These aren't spores you can just order more of...

:ph34r:

• Nicked likes this

#17 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:43 AM

If it were me, considering the rarity of these spores, I would let contaminated plates grow out and then clean them up by transferring some of the healthy myc to a new plate and then tossing the one that is contaminated... These aren't spores you can just order more of...

:ph34r:
Understandable. There is a lot of spores to work with at least. The plate I disposed of had no sign of any mycelium growth, only expanding green Trich..
  • PJammer24 likes this

#18 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

You could also try to do a little thinner mix by adding a little less agar powder. People say that it helps with hydrating.

Too bad the first round didn't take, though I have given up on a plate recently and a week later there was some healthy mycelium popping out of a sea of contaminants like PJ mentioned.

Hope the next one will go better!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 27 November 2019 - 11:50 AM.

• Nicked likes this

#19 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

I hope so too. I've still got the other plates and won't be throwing those away. Thanks for the advice on the agar quantity. Will be prepping and pouring plates after work tomorrow and will get some more spores onto some of them. Really hoping something takes with these guys!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!