• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:24 PM

I want to give some background without being long winded. For one this is my first spawned grow. The first time actually pasteurizing a substrate, and mixing it with colonized spawn. I am transitioning to grain, and with that wanted to use up my remaining brf. Bob Red's mill is pricey flour. So I spawned some brf to a coir/verm mix. At the ten day mark I decided to observe the tub without lifting the foil. Looking at the outside from the bottom to the foil covering I noticed some large white growth on the surface of the mycelium in various places. It didn't appear to be uniform in growth, meaning, it didn't appear to be covering the entire surface of the mycelium. However something was there. The tub did not appear to be pinning, but rather doing something else entirely. I decided to give it 24 hours, and then I cracked open the foil inside of my SAB. I snapped some pictures assuming a more experienced grower will make quick work of my worry.

After opening the tub, and getting a better view it appears to be extreme fuzzy feet. However I need to eliminate any doubt as to if it may be cobweb or some other type of mold taking over the surface of the mycelium. In the meantime I removed the foil, and put on a modified lid with multiple holes covered using micro-pore tape. The original aluminum foil on top of the tub had only 4 small slits from knife around 1/2inch covered using micro-pore tape. I am attempting to decrease the humidity, and introduce some air exchange into the tubs.

If you have any questions that may help you better understand the pictures, or my processes to troubleshoot please ask! 

IMG-1484.jpg

IMG-1483.jpg

IMG-1482.jpg

[Two separate 6qt tubs were used. Both have the same appearance. Both sit side by side in a raised cabinet. Only one is lined]

IMG-1481.jpg

IMG-1480.jpg

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

It doesn't look like cobweb mold to me. I notice that the puffy white "stuff" seems to be localized. From my experience with cobweb it was in one location and looked like poly fill, more wispy than the picture, and the tub smelled sour. I think you have healthy mycelium that was puffing up due to to high CO2 and no air flow. Now that its getting air exchange the wispyness should go down.

• cybele likes this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

It doesn't look like cobweb mold to me. I notice that the puffy white "stuff" seems to be localized. From my experience with cobweb it was in one location and looked like poly fill, more wispy than the picture, and the tub smelled sour. I think you have healthy mycelium that was puffing up due to to high CO2 and no air flow. Now that its getting air exchange the wispyness should go down.

Check out the Cult-ivation picture sharing thread on the first page there is a pic from buzz-killution of healthy mycelium in a tub that was recently put into fruiting conditions. The mycelium looks like yours :)

Edited by Moonless, 14 November 2019 - 06:45 PM.

• cybele likes this

#4 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond Moonless! It smelled incredibly healthy once I cracked it open. The metabolite build up was crystal clear, and slightly gelatinous like usual. Not murky or discolored. "Fuzzy feet" or so they say, is what I feel like it is. There is only two small dime shaped spots not colonized on the bottom of the unlined tub. Yesterday when I first noticed this they were quarter sized. So the mycelium is still growing, and colonizing. I am hoping with the increased FAE it will bounce back, and consolidate normally.

#5 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

Closing in one twenty-four hours since I tried to introduce some more air exchange. I do not see any visual changes.

Should I go ahead, and put the top tub on with poly-fil? I believe I need to lower the humidity however, I do not want to fan these tubs yet. They just finished colonizing but the tub's are not consolidated. It has been twelve days since these were spawned.

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:06 PM

Looks a bit wet in the first pictures. Are the droplets on the sub evaporating?

• cybele likes this

#7 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

Looks a bit wet in the first pictures. Are the droplets on the sub evaporating?

I believe that first picture shows gelatinous like metabolites, but in other pictures I can see dew like water droplets on the surface. I believe that is the actual moisture I need to address.

Would adding a casing layer at this point help?

#8 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

I wouldn't worry too much! let it ride for a few more days and I bet you will start to see primordia. Looks a lot like the tub I have going, I mixed BRF cakes that were colonizing for nearly a month so If the surface is not 100% I dont think it's the end of the world to introduce it to FC when it's not 100%. That being said I had a thin layer of sub on top of my mix so that may be why mine didn't colonize the surface.

In any event, I don't see any cause for concern and given the time frame and the sub and spawn mix, I would skip the casing and just give it some FAE. You can always worry about misting later if it's necessary!

• cybele likes this

#9 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, looks like a lack of FAE, as others said. It will seem to reach for air, sometimes spiky, sometimes more fuzzy. Just get more FAE and they'll be great. Don't over correct though, it's pretty easy to go too far the other way.

• cybele likes this

#10 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:37 AM

Thanks guys!

#11 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Looks just like my APE mycelium. Perhaps I'm not getting it enough FA?

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk
  • cybele likes this

#12 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:43 PM

Looks just like my APE mycelium. Perhaps I'm not getting it enough FA?

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

I would believe so Randy, but I would have to see pictures to even be close to certain. I have had countless grows with brf alone in pyrex, and assorted PP5 containers where I have seen "fuzzy feet". I used to a have a more hectic travel schedule, and was not consistent with fanning. It is not a contamination. It is more or less a symptom of the container, or room not being "dialed" in. This is just my first time spawning, and I wanted to be certain my pasteurization methods worked.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!