• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DBCMushie

DBCMushie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

Why are my PE’s growing like this and how can I stop it?bd85430d90a5f6d01bb55963fb435811.jpg

#2 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:49 AM

PE blobs that's just what it does. The general consensus says to start PE on agar and do some transfers to clean it up. Once you have good clean growth on your plates then inoculate your grain of choice and don't forget a casing layer.
  • DBCMushie likes this

#3 DBCMushie

DBCMushie

• Free Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:26 AM

PE blobs that's just what it does. The general consensus says to start PE on agar and do some transfers to clean it up. Once you have good clean growth on your plates then inoculate your grain of choice and don't forget a casing layer.

What would you recommend for a casing layer?

#4 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

What would you recommend for a casing layer?

I am not certain as I have never used a casing layer. But I have heard people use either vermiculite or coir.
  • DBCMushie likes this

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

I have seen 2 different PE grows in recent months... One was cased, one was not... Both of them blobbed up but the one that had a casing layer blobbed much worse...

The substrate mix for the one that produced more blobs had a higher content of vermiculite. It also had a higher percentage of hpoo...

I have a theory that either the substrate's high water content or excessive nutrition led to having more blobs. There is no avoiding it, they are going to produce blobs no matter what you do but you may be able to mitigate the effect a little. Often you get fewer blobs after the initial flush also which may support excess nutrition leading to the blobbing effect...

I rarely have extra time but I may do a run that is coir only, one that is coir/verm only, and one that is coir/poo/verm to see if one of the mixes produces fewer blobs... I should have a pretty good idea if my theory holds water after those three runs...

• DBCMushie likes this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

You can use verm and/or coir or mix there of for a casing layer,... You can go oldschool also if you want and buffer some peat...

• DBCMushie likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!