#1 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:42 PM

Sooooo... I fucked up.

I was tidying up a last winter (don’t worry I’ve done it since then as well lol) and mislabeled some boxes meant to be stored in different places. Long story short I put 99% of my prints in the unheated garage over the winter to face temps as low as and possibly lower than -45c with the windchill.

A cubensis print or two was luckily spared from this absolute shit show of a storage situation by being in a different box that was kept inside as I intended to do with ALL my spores so I am not totally without genetics thankfully lol

Anyway I have tried a few times to get the spores that were stored in the extreme cold to germinate and so far I can’t get anything growing. I expected this was likely to be the case but I even had my exotics in that box so I’m curious...

Is there anyway even a small amount of spores survived this? What would be the best way to try to get some small amount of living spore to grow for me? Agar? Put the whole print into an LC and pray something lived?

I have fully come to terms with the fact that I may have murdered them all... it’s unfortunate but you live and you learn... my spore library will be better organized and better stored from now on lol I am curious if you guys think anything may have survived and what you think would be the best way to check?

Let me know what you think and thanks for your time!
-Ethno

#2 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:47 PM

Yo I'm a noob but honestly. I'd be more worried about heat. Maybe it's bad idk but if I were to guess I think some survived and would be ok. Ice ages have happened before I'd say. Gl my friend.
  • ethnobotanist420 likes this

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:15 AM

Thanks dude! I’m just wondering if it was cold enough to rupture cell walls, etc...

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:22 AM

I believe that at some point the spores were traveling in space, making their way here. They not only survived the serious cold, but vacuum, and darkness. Just my theory, cold is fine for storage. If that is incorrect I will change my theory. I hate it when that happens. Having spores that MIGHT have gotten too cold is still better than having no spores.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  • ethnobotanist420, makinbones69 and Randys67 like this

#5 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:26 AM

I got a strong feel u be aight

#6 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:29 AM

I believe that at some point the spores were traveling in space, making their way here. They not only survived the serious cold, but vacuum, and darkness. Just my theory, cold is fine for storage. If that is incorrect I will change my theory. I hate it when that happens. Having spores that MIGHT have gotten too cold is still better than having no spores.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I meant to quote this guy and say that my b my weekend started today!

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:32 AM

I think you guys are right... unless they were quite hydrated cold shouldn’t be too bad right? Syringes might be fucked but we are talking dry prints here so...

I was probably just doing a shitty job when I tried getting them going... been a bit out of practice lol

I know what I’ll be doing this weekend I guess haha

Thanks for restoring my faith!

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 15 November 2019 - 12:35 AM.

#8 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:34 AM

I agree I am leaning toward panspermia hypothesis a bit myself.
@happy

Edited by makinbones69, 15 November 2019 - 12:35 AM.

#9 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:54 AM

Spore prints are ment to be stored in cool (cold) environments. I keep mine in the fridge and it sometimes ices up my milk...

Its extreme heat that ruins spore viability.

You day they were stored for a year prior to testing them, did you rehydrate the spores by allowing them to sit for at least 72hours inside the syringe? It helps a lot with germination times.

I have prints of golden teacher I can send you but I'm to broke to pay postage at this current time so you'd have to wait a little bit.

But the answer is no, to cold of storage temps will not completely destroy a spore print, they should still be viable.

#10 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,532 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:22 AM

They should be fine. They survive outdoors in snow areas to go on and fruit when spring showers arrive.

• ethnobotanist420, Skywatcher and Billcoz like this

#11 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:30 AM

Thank you for the offer! It’s very generous! I’m not looking to add any prints to my library right now tho, I was only curious what the consensus was on having my prints that cold was haha I do appreciate your offer tho, bother :)

I will be sure to let the spores hang out in the syringe for 72hours before I try to inoculate anything with them... thanks for the tip!

I think when I tried to grow them out the last times I must have fucked up somewhere along the line... I guess them being frozen put me off of retracing my steps properly and seeing what the true culprit to them not germinating was. I’m thinking this is a case of me blaming the product for failing when it was truly “user error” lol

It’s good to be humbled once in a while and so far I’ve gotten two lessons for the price of one here:

1) take care to store and label things properly
2) don’t be so quick to think your problems are due to faulty spores... consider faulty work first!

Thank you guys, I’ll keep you posted when I get to inoculating this weekend :)

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 15 November 2019 - 01:31 AM.

• Sidestreet, Billcoz, makinbones69 and 1 other like this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,781 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

I'm with the consensus, I think your prints will still be viable.  Spores are pretty durable when they are dry.

EDIT:  Had to correct the auto correct..... 

Edited by Juthro, 15 November 2019 - 02:18 PM.

• ethnobotanist420 and makinbones69 like this

#13 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

Sooooo... I fucked up.

I was tidying up a last winter (don’t worry I’ve done it since then as well lol) and mislabeled some boxes meant to be stored in different places. Long story short I put 99% of my prints in the unheated garage over the winter to face temps as low as and possibly lower than -45c with the windchill.

If the prints were dry they shouldn't die from that temp. Heat is worse for them than cold, and moisture is the worst, but Jesus dude, that's COLD! That's like -49F, where in the frozen hell do you live lol? Don't answer.

Oh and definitely do let your spores soak in the sterile water in the syringe after making it before using, so the spores get into solution and well hydrated.

Edited by Billcoz, 15 November 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#14 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:43 AM

I live in the wide open praries of Canada where the wind blasts cold air around pretty much unobstructed haha

I’m really excited to bust out my spores and maybe fire up some exotics finally... I’m pretty sure I have a P. Hoogshagenii print I’ve been meaning to play with and spread around if I can get it to print :)

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 16 November 2019 - 12:43 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!