24 replies to this topic

#1 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

Hey all,

I thought I would start a thread about my APE projects and how things are coming along.

I have one Jumbo tub of about 5 inches thick of fairly colonized sub that has been stalled for three weeks but it may still be colonizing deep in the center or something. (pic below) No signs of trich yet so fingers crossed! If nothing goes wrong it should do well? Only one way to find out.

My hydroponic APE experiment has surprised me to no end! I am getting decent pinning on one of the smaller cakes with lots of new myc growth on the others. I did not expect to have any results like this with APE but I had some left over spawn so I figured what the heck!

More to come as these slow pokes start moving around...

APE Tub 11-16-19.jpg   Hydro_Ape.jpg

• LegoMyego, Randys67 and Nicked like this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:54 AM

Nice sub, and cute little penises

• Moonless, Jinroh and Nicked like this

#3 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:04 AM

Nice sub, and cute little penises

If we werent talking about my shrooms I would be embarassed and offended. :blush:

LOL

Edited by Jinroh, 17 November 2019 - 03:44 AM.

• onediadem and Nicked like this

#4 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

I have ape in incubation now 1:1. Mine looks like your mycelium. :) I will be following. Have never fruited APE yet. Ty

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk
  • Moonless and Jinroh like this

#5 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

I have ape in incubation now 1:1. Mine looks like your mycelium. :) I will be following. Have never fruited APE yet. Ty

That makes us the same! This is my first APE experience as well! Not that mycology itself is not new to me in general.

#6 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

Cooool

#7 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:13 PM

OK! Here is a 3 day update. Nothing new from the jumbo tub, still no pinning but no trich either so I am letting that roll on.

The hydroponic APE is coming along nicely. All of them are "fatasses" but I assume that is because this is the first flush of APE, or maybe high humidity or just plain ole' genetics? In any case this does not bother me. The first flush will just be "popper" size! LOL

I am not expecting any real volume of individuals from this. It is just an ongoing experiment to see which strains will perform in that environment. Next will be Alacabenzi, after that B+ and then Golden Teacher. Maybe after that Blue Oysters and Lions Mane. My prediction is that if APE will perform... the rest of what I have will as well!

Hydro APE 11-19-19.jpg

• onediadem and crazy1 like this

#8 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

Great. I'm right behind you with spawn ready in 2 weeks then doing large fruiting chamber. Good job!

• Jinroh likes this

#9 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:22 PM

Here is the first example of any size that I have picked. I had a few that were growing from the bottom of the cakes near the water start turning black. So I harvested any that looked sick to keep anything from spreading and pulled the this biggest one out because I saw a few small brown spots starting to appear. I was afraid that might be something bad starting so I wanted to nip that in the bud. (pun intended)

I am starting to see pins in the jumbo tub but nothing big enough that you could see on camera. It should not be long now.

One thing I did notice about the APE that is different than my other grows is the color and density. This is a very dense fungus, very heavy and almost hard to the touch. When bruised it turns a very dark purple... almost black, and almost instantaneous color change. More to come as things develope!

Chub.jpg

• Moonless and macgyver like this

#10 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:07 PM

Looking good Jin. Bags are pretty great for controlled experiments IMO, I like to have mine with a polyfill filtered hole for FAE. The last bags I had didn't preform so well and am searching for a good schedule and routine for them. Whats this hydroponics grow you're talking about?

#11 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:17 PM

The hydroponic deal can be found at the link below. That is when I first joined the site and I go into detail about it and answered a few questions. You will find a lot of info there. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Keep in mind that the hydroponic option is just a fun experiment. I have never gotten any decent size harvest from it. But it is fun and makes an interesting conversation piece when friends visit.

https://mycotopia.ne...om#entry1423570

• crazy1 likes this

#12 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:46 AM

Hey looking pretty good! That sounds like a great idea actually, like an automated terrarium. How is the air-stone at keeping humidity and FAE, does it do both relitevly well or mostly the humidity?

#13 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:48 AM

Hey looking pretty good! That sounds like a great idea actually, like an automated terrarium. How is the air-stone at keeping humidity and FAE, does it do both relitevly well or mostly the humidity?

It does very well with both! You just have to keep the water level (spring water) topped off because you lose some to evaporation over time. The humidity level is actually too good. I had to open a few vents to allow some moisture to escape because it would collect on the lid and drip directly onto the cakes which you do not want. The FAE is excellent with this system. After using this method I plan to experiment with a low volume aquarium pump in a jumbo tub as well. It might work great... it might kill it off. Only one way to find out!

#14 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:26 AM

Good genetics indeed! Looking good enough to made full size. Thanks for sharing with us.

post-160656-0-29439000-1574216015.jpg

• Jinroh likes this

#15 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:29 AM

Next APE update;

I finally think that I have enough pinning action in the jumbo tub to post some pics.

I was really worried about the tub for the past few days because some of the pin caps started to turn a blueish-green and I thought I was seeing the beginnings of my next failure. Before throwing it out I decided to compare my APE pins with online photos from some professionals and to my relief... (in this case anyway), it is not trich and is normal for APE. I feel this is important to bring up in this thread since a newb like myself could easily toss a good project due to the APE color change when comparing to a standard strain where this color probably would indicate the start of trich. I have no idea WHY this color change happens in this strain and WHY only certain pins turn this color but it exactly matches photos I found on the web and on this site.
Anyway, I am very excited because this being the first flush... I am seeing an epic pin set across the whole surface. I just weighed the tub and it is just under 30 pounds. Let's cross our fingers for a bumper crop!!! I also uploaded one pic of the "P town" APE progress which is also on the first flush and seems to be doing well. I did isolate one cake from the aquarium because it started to turn bluish-green and it had no major pinning going on so it is now quarantined for safety sake.

EDIT;

Be sure if you search images of Penis envy online that you have your security settings on at least "moderate". I can't unsee some of what popped up in the image grid!

IMG_0941.jpg IMG_0942.jpg IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0955.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0945.JPG
  • IMG_0950.jpg
  • IMG_0953.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 22 November 2019 - 03:44 AM.

• Sidestreet, Moonless and macgyver like this

#16 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for the update jin. They look so weird to me. the coloration is so different for albinos than regular cubes. Excited for you :)

• Jinroh likes this

#17 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:40 PM

Looks like you have a few mutant blobs growing in that first flush.  They are still psychoactive, no worries there.  The following flushes should produce more typical fruits.  

Great work, keep it up! 

• Jinroh likes this

#18 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:01 PM

Looks like you have a few mutant blobs growing in that first flush.  They are still psychoactive, no worries there.  The following flushes should produce more typical fruits.  

Great work, keep it up! 

Thanks! And thanks for the input. This strain is full of surprises!

#19 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Nice grow log my friend!!

And APE or PE seem to have some very odd genetics sometimes. As you said ful of surprises.

I remember years ago when the strain got big, there was some really crazy grows.

I like your hydro grow, hydrotron is what I use in my tubs, great stuff in my opinion.

Good vibes

Peace

Edited by crazy1, 22 November 2019 - 05:00 PM.

• Jinroh likes this

#20 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

Nice grow log my friend!!

And APE or PE seem to have some very odd genetics sometimes. As you said ful of surprises.

I remember years ago when the strain got big, there was some really crazy grows.

I like your hydro grow, hydrotron is what I use in my tubs, great stuff in my opinion.

Good vibes

Peace

Thanks!!

I really like the hydroton because it can be reused. After I am done with a grow I turn the heat up to 90 and mix a half cup of peroxide into the circulation water and let that run for a few hours. Then drain and strain... boil for 15 minutes and I am ready for another round!

I was surprised to see some of the cakes actually start to colonize the hydroton. I throw those colonized rocks away after the final flush before cleaning. The rocks are completely white with myc sometimes.

Edited by Jinroh, 22 November 2019 - 05:16 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!