20 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,228 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

I tried to find the episode online but got chaff. It may be necessary to subscribe to the cooking channel online site to view his videos.

the bottom line

a sous vide machine - 100-200 dollars           https://www.amazon.c...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

keeps water at a very steady temperature you have selected for as long as you like.

that, right there, is the definition of what you need to pasteurize

he shows how to do it in either ziplock bags, vacuum bags, or mason jars

damn, does any of this sound familiar?

I swear, he's got a shifty glint in his eye as he mentions the bags and jars

also uses the same machine to make an herb liquor in an hour! Norman, I'm looking at you.

Oh, last and certainly not least, the machine is a very useful device for COOKING

Edited by pharmer, 17 November 2019 - 09:10 AM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Juthro and 2 others like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

There a thread someone post recently where a guy modifies a cooler basically with a hole in the lid for the sous vide. Its a super simple idea but looks cool. So simple I may give it a try. I'll see if I can find it.

edit: Here it is. 107892-does-anyone-else-think-this-is-pretty-awesome

Edited by coorsmikey, 17 November 2019 - 11:15 AM.

• crazy1, Tenderfoot and Juthro like this

#3 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:12 AM

Gents, this may finally be my first opportunity to give back.  I cook with a souse vide and I use vaccuum sealer weekly to store all kinds of foods.  Not too mention (regardless of shifty eyes) I'm a serious fan of Alton's tek.  Seriously, considering this hobby, you should absolutely appreciate Alton as the most diligent chef ever.  This is why I love him.  His admiration to detail is unparalleled in the cooking world.

Anyway, given I have the technology, tell me specifically what I can do to help.  Love doing experiments.

The consistent temps. you mentioned are exactly the point of a souse vide.  If you never exceed a temperature, i.e. 131F steak, 192F hard boiled eggs, then you can not overcook...regardless of the time.  This is a difficult concept for most people to understand.  So I can cook a 3" steak for 1 hour or 8 hours and it will be exactly the same. 

I use the Souse Vide for two main purposes, as stated above, among others.  1) Cook a steak like Chris Ruth - pink consistency 3" thick - then quick grill or pan sear at 400F.  2) Hard boiled eggs that peel without running water and are soft as hell, not under cooked, and certainly not rubbery. 

• Myc and Juthro like this

#4 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:09 AM

And yes, can easily use ziplocks vs. vacuum seal bags. There is a simple method of water displacement prep. to remove air from bags as necessary.

#5 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:12 AM

As I further consider this, perhaps the best feature is the only size limitation with a Souse Vide is the size of your container. Think big, if it helps.

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:47 AM

We just did 4 nice sized prime ribs for Christmas dinner Saturday, and 3 of them were done in a Rubbermaid cut cut to fit the sous vide heating element. Amazing dinner for sure. This is the one my brother bought. It worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-SSV800-Accu-Circulator/dp/B07898VZN9/ref=sxin_2_osp99-831b66a0_cov?ascsubtag=831b66a0-4dec-48a7-a36f-eff2ea2fd0d7&creativeASIN=B07898VZN9&crid=378O06VW17FV3&cv_ct_cx=sous+vide&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.831b66a0-4dec-48a7-a36f-eff2ea2fd0d7&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=sous+vide&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07898VZN9&pd_rd_r=e2d132c7-1c41-4ad2-93ec-be682cff76cb&pd_rd_w=5voc7&pd_rd_wg=2Zxvl&pf_rd_p=eb3e5cda-5ec9-4d94-919d-310a5d641b8b&pf_rd_r=H7KYDNSQBN0PZMGD1CY8&qid=1577947452&sprefix=sou%2Caps%2C219&tag=gearpublish-20

Excellent idea pharmer!
  • Juthro likes this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:49 AM

Yeah but what does Guy Fieri think about it? 

ec92b9a7-b13a-43e1-9c6a-cd9c44daa778.png

Seriously, I do love Alton Brown's scientific explanations regarding foodstuffs, I'm particularly a fan of his food safety lectures, which do indeed apply directly to our hobby.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 02 January 2020 - 01:51 AM.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#8 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

Lol. Didn't understand what you meant by shifty glint until I read the other post. Alton often makes interesting facial expressions.

Literally tried to buy wheat straw yesterday at Tractor Supply, no luck. I have regular straw, but thought I needed wheat? If regular straw isnt a waste, I can give this a go with my current souse vide container today.

What is the perfect temp, for how long? I'll get some pics. and write it up.

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,113 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

I love getting double duty out of a tool.   I think I'm going to use this as the excuse I've been waiting for to get a sous vide, they look like a great tool.

• onediadem likes this

#10 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

I couldn't believe how awesome it worked.

#11 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

I'm with you onediem.  The fact that you can't overcook with a precision device changes everything.  If you like hard boiled eggs, trust me - set the eggs (I do about 14 at a time) out while you bring the water to 192F.  I use a cheap plastic 12 quart bin made for the souse vide.  Sometimes I boil water separately and pour in to get to temp. quicker.  At 192F put the eggs in carefully with a slotted spoon.  Say "Alexa, timer 20 min." (  :rolleyes: ).  Don't worry about the temp drop.  After 20 min. get them in ice water quickly for at least 10 min.  Bamm!  The easiest to peel, most perfectly textured eggs you will ever.  Ok, I digress...back to the topic.

Sorry I'm dragging you all down with issues you've likely addressed a billion times before, but I promise I am reading post after post, and here's where I am after a few hours of research on myc and general google.  Really want to do this experiment.

Challenges

1. My straw is "EZ-Straw Seeding Mulch with Tack - Biodegradable Organic Processed Straw", meaning it has guar gum that makes it tacky. for grass seeds.  I don't think it is harmful, in fact read could be healthy for digestive, blood sugar, etc.  However, doubt it is something we want in the sub, and certainly seems to be a variable distorting the results for others to try and compared apples - apples.
  2. IF this straw is ok, only have wheat bran or brown rice (to make flour) supplements.  And isn't the point of this to perfectly pasteurize so we only kill the bad stuff while preserving the good stuff in wheat straw therefore not requiring supplements?

Opportunities:

1. Interestingly, I do have very healthy active worm castings. Hmmm...could be cool?  Read several post on pasteurizing, but of course no water immersion methods.  Could I just separate the worms and sous vide in a sealed bag at 140F for 4 hours?  This is the temp and time I read for pasteurizing straw here.  Can I do the same thing for cow poo?  That simple if I get poo that has been sitting for a while?  I have got to figure out how to pasteurize cow poo!!!  Lots of it around here in fields, but again, everything I can find on the topic is either oven or microwave.
  2. While no local stores sell wheat straw, I did find a couple ads in the yellow pages for farms near me that sale bales of hay, but they don't exactly have support lines.  With a little luck I can get standard farm hay tomorrow, but is that the same as wheat straw?  One ad read "Premium, horse quality, pure coastal hay highly maintained, fertilized, weed sprayed fields. Absolutely NO weeds, stickers or other grass."  Ugh, pesticides?

#12 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

If we don't know the answers to some of this stuff, which is the bases for this post, fuck it, I'll just dig in, document, and report back.  Just looking to be efficient and effective where possible.

I do have a basic digital compound microscope to view post pasteurization results.  But I'm no microbiologist.

Cheers!

#13 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

I pasteurize at 165.

#14 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:42 PM

Isn't 165 closer to sterilizing?

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:14 AM

No.

#16 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:18 AM

Pasteurization occurs between 160 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything more than that and you risk killing good bacteria and allowing the bad to bloom. With a water bath, you pasteurize by soaking the straw in 160-degree water for an hour.

• Shroomn likes this

#17 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

I love getting double duty out of a tool.   I think I'm going to use this as the excuse I've been waiting for to get a sous vide, they look like a great tool.

"double duty"

I'm with you onediem.  The fact that you can't overcook with a precision device changes everything.  If you like hard boiled eggs, trust me - set the eggs (I do about 14 at a time) out while you bring the water to 192F.  I use a cheap plastic 12 quart bin made for the souse vide.  Sometimes I boil water separately and pour in to get to temp. quicker.  At 192F put the eggs in carefully with a slotted spoon.  Say "Alexa, timer 20 min." (  :rolleyes: ).  Don't worry about the temp drop.  After 20 min. get them in ice water quickly for at least 10 min.  Bamm!  The easiest to peel, most perfectly textured eggs you will ever.  Ok, I digress...back to the topic.

Sorry I'm dragging you all down with issues you've likely addressed a billion times before, but I promise I am reading post after post, and here's where I am after a few hours of research on myc and general google.  Really want to do this experiment.

Challenges

1. My straw is "EZ-Straw Seeding Mulch with Tack - Biodegradable Organic Processed Straw", meaning it has guar gum that makes it tacky. for grass seeds.  I don't think it is harmful, in fact read could be healthy for digestive, blood sugar, etc.  However, doubt it is something we want in the sub, and certainly seems to be a variable distorting the results for others to try and compared apples - apples.
  2. IF this straw is ok, only have wheat bran or brown rice (to make flour) supplements.  And isn't the point of this to perfectly pasteurize so we only kill the bad stuff while preserving the good stuff in wheat straw therefore not requiring supplements?

Opportunities:

1. Interestingly, I do have very healthy active worm castings. Hmmm...could be cool?  Read several post on pasteurizing, but of course no water immersion methods.  Could I just separate the worms and sous vide in a sealed bag at 140F for 4 hours?  This is the temp and time I read for pasteurizing straw here.  Can I do the same thing for cow poo?  That simple if I get poo that has been sitting for a while?  I have got to figure out how to pasteurize cow poo!!!  Lots of it around here in fields, but again, everything I can find on the topic is either oven or microwave.
  2. While no local stores sell wheat straw, I did find a couple ads in the yellow pages for farms near me that sale bales of hay, but they don't exactly have support lines.  With a little luck I can get standard farm hay tomorrow, but is that the same as wheat straw?  One ad read "Premium, horse quality, pure coastal hay highly maintained, fertilized, weed sprayed fields. Absolutely NO weeds, stickers or other grass."  Ugh, pesticides?

I use the ez-straw all the time, no problem.

• Juthro and Shroomn like this

#18 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:13 AM

And so it begins...started a bit of an experiment.  Will document as I go if helpful.  Then perhaps consolidated write-up?  Please jump in and tell me what to do differently, next, etc. if you more experienced friends have thoughts.

• .75lbs - Separated live worms from castings
  • 2.8lbs - EZ straw - Soaked with RO and added a bit extra, so definitely over field capacity.  ~an inch of water after hydration in bottom of bag at start.
  • Used ziploc water immersion technique vs. vaccuum seal so applicable to more folks.
  • Hope you don't mind, one, went with 140F for this first round.  Stopping at 2 hours.

To be clear, the immersion (water bath) was never greater or less than precisely 140F.  My only concern at this point is not all of the straw was at or below the water level, but that hopefully is not a problem given the bag is sealed so the temp. would be 140F in the bag.  Can easily modify into large pot, etc. if necessary.

Looking forward to reading this great write up in more detail, but this caught my eye..."water at 60°C immediately melts the natural waxy coating on straw and other plant materials. By melting the wax, the water is immediately able to penetrate and wet the dry waste-substrate material. The immediate wetting is in contrast to the many days required for cold water to penetrate; pasteurization begins as soon as the dry waste-substrate contacts the water, so there is no chance for new growth of undesirable organisms."

20200103_204854.jpg 20200103_210102.jpg 20200103_210217.jpg 20200103_211027.jpg 20200103_211122.jpg

• Juthro likes this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,113 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:19 AM

Good luck, and god speed :)

• Shroomn likes this

#20 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,014 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Interesting, I have been staring at those things wondering if i should buy one. Would be pretty deadly in the winter and can make some nice gentle canna butter with it too

But seriously... did you know its pronounced fieti

ec92b9a7-b13a-43e1-9c6a-cd9c44daa778.png

Fat Guy Legend

Edited by flashingrooster, 04 January 2020 - 10:03 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!