• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Sex lube and jet dry are used in sore suspensions to get a better dispersion of spores for obtaining monokaryotes and colonies of fewer dikaryotic sectors.

I prefer to streak spores directly to agar, when possible, and while sterilizing some agar I had the thought: why not add the surfactant to the agar so the agar surface itself helped spores separate?

Has anyone tried this? If so, whats your SEXA media formula?

#2 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

You mad man!!!

I read one Liquid Culture tek where he added a pin prick of dish soap in the jar for the aeration benefit of the surfacant. I know he mentioned to keep an eye out for certain chemicals in traditional soaps. Not sure about use in agar though, could be a fun experiment to run.

#3 DanceOfBliss

DanceOfBliss

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

Ooh I would love to know how it goes if you try! Water based or silicone?

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

Well, if things go wrong you can just say fuckit ....   and mean it  :blush:

• coorsmikey and ethnobotanist420 like this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,689 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

You mean I can ditch the KY for Jet dry? I can see the dishwasher getting emptied more often in the future. I can't say if either work for dispersion and dilution of spores, but they both aid in germination at the right ratios.

Edited by coorsmikey, 21 November 2019 - 10:32 AM.

• ethnobotanist420 and ElrikEriksson like this

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:41 AM

You mad man!!!
I read one Liquid Culture tek where he added a pin prick of dish soap in the jar for the aeration benefit of the surfacant. I know he mentioned to keep an eye out for certain chemicals in traditional soaps. Not sure about use in agar though, could be a fun experiment to run.

I have used a pinch of agar in my LCs recently, that seems to help to keep more oxygen in the mixture after the daily swirl, and also helps to 'support' the mycelium. They colonized pretty quickly - and strong!

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:17 AM

You mad man!!!

Triclosan? I seem to remember a few threads about washing grain in the vaults mentioning to avoid soaps containing it because it’s an antibacterial and antifungal...
  • ElrikEriksson likes this

#8 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:07 AM

Yeah triclosan rings a bell for me too.

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#9 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

I think parabens were mentioned too. aka preservatives, I'm not sure why as they prevent bacterial growth but maybe mycelial growth too?

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#10 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

One should be aware of them but I suspect preservatives wouldn't pose too much of a concern, given the dilution involved.

The guideline for jet dry I read was a 1:2000 dilution with sex lube being a similar value, at that level most preservatives probably wouldn't be active any more.

Its like making live-culture pickles. Many people will tell you not to use iodized salt because it could kill the bacteria, but the amount of iodine in the salt brine would be dilute enough to simply serve as a nutrient for bacteria.

• coorsmikey and ethnobotanist420 like this

#11 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

That definitely makes sense to me... in concentrations that dilute I doubt it would hurt at all.

If I were to try this... keeping in mind I have no agar experience lol... I would likely make a very dilute spore solution with a small amount of your surfactant of choice added and then add a drop to a regular dish of agar and try to swirl it around the surface of the agar.

I don’t know how well that would work but the surfactant should help disperse the spores even with a small amount of solution right?

What do you think?

#12 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:40 PM

Hm... You are probably right Elrik. I used a tiny drop of regular Dawn detergent in a 4oz LC and it preformed very well start to finish. I would assume Dawn has all the stuff you're not supposed to add to a live culture, but there probably was not enough to hurt anything. I don't see why it would be an issue to apply the same principle to Agar although in an LC it would be for a different reason. For spore dispersal I think Ethn's Idea would be good, adding it to the liquid spores instead of the agar itself. Maybe?

Edit: or the lube :biggrin:

Edited by macgyver, 20 November 2019 - 03:41 PM.

#13 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:17 AM

Yeah, adding to spore solution is the text book way to do it, I was just trying to avoid that one extra micro-drop of water, lol

• macgyver likes this

#14 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:07 AM

Yeah, adding to spore solution is the text book way to do it, I was just trying to avoid that one extra micro-drop of water, lol

I wonder how far the spores would actually spread when streaked onto agar even if the agar has some kind of lube or surfactant built in...

Only one way to find out I suppose!
  • macgyver likes this

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:27 AM

Subscribed

• macgyver likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!