#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

[Direct Link]

I think this was very well done... I don't know much about this mushroom it's not found in Ontario that I know of anyway... I have read some information on it anyway but I don't have those links handy sorry if someone has info they wish to share in here go ahead
  • dial8, CatsAndBats, Jrotten and 1 other like this

#2 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,630 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 11:38 PM

[Direct Link]

I think this was very well done... I don't know much about this mushroom it's not found in Ontario that I know of anyway... I have read some information on it anyway but I don't have those links handy sorry if someone has info they wish to share in here go ahead

I did  not enjoy this video.  I disagree with some of the comments the person who took this image of a mushroom I studied since 1983.   His person is set in his remarks about Hippies and Hippy ciondos is rediculous.  The mushroom fruits in alder, maple, eucalyptus and other hardwood chips.  The mushroom grows from San Diego to British Colombia Canada.  That patch has been raped royal. And Yuppie condo remarks are off the wall. In Seattle it grows in many parks/  And it was called cyanofriscosa and cyanofriscana in San Francisco. It was never called 'framcoscana.'  For years it was thought to be Psilpcybe cyanofibrillosa.  In David Aro\ra's Mushrooms dymistified, David mistakenly listed it as Psilocybe cyanescens and Jeremy Bigwood also as P/ cyanofibrillosa.

I first found this species in the back yard of a Nursing home in Seattle, Washington in  1983.  I brought samples of it to Breittenbush a few times and it was still unknoww. When I found a cluster at thatnursing home there were 226 mushrooms that from across the yard looked like one giant cluster ofGymnopilus from afar.

At first I thought it was just a mutant crop of psilocybe cyanescens.  Between 2007 and 2009,   I collected specimens from two lactions in Seattle, In Freemont District andon th campus of the U of Washington.  Each year I sent specimens to Gaston Guzman at the Instituto de Ecologia in Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico and each year Dr. Guzman wrote me back that under the microscope they were Psilocybe cyanescens,.. I had written generic descriptions of them and habitats such as the woodchip mulch contents and the \surrounding flora of the habitat.  

In Seattle the chips, twigs, branches and stems of alder come from the rain forest in the PNW. Mostly of Aloder with maple and other hardwoods. In the Bay area, it appears that Eucaluptus is the primary wood  product that the mycelia loves.

So in 2008, I had also contacted my friend Jan Borovicka at the University in Prague Czech Republic and  asked for his assistance because I knew they were not Psilocybe cyanescens.  However, the spore range for the P.cyanescens was the same for the mushrooms i had collected each year.  So iin 2008, 2009 and 2010, I sent annual collections from Balard in Seattle adn freom the UW Campus.  

Jan mentionedin a letter that Alan Rockefeller learned of his DNA studies of my material and inquired if he might contribute to the paper.  Jan, being considrate of my studies informed me about Alan's request and I told Jan that it was okay if Alan was part of the research.  Alan became 2nd Author and P.G. Werner joined along.

The mushroom was named in my honor.  However, much of my generic desctiptions were left out ot the paper to my dismay.  

The growing season in Seattle is quite different than the growing season in the Bay area and that was not discussed in the paper either.  

Then the confusion of online people at the Shroomery who thought the paper was named for Alan Rockefeller.  Alan did inform Shroomery members that it was not named for him but still members and a few people have actually still mentioned that it was named for him.

A few pictures.  I personally did not like the tone of the person who spoke in the image. They grow whereever their is alder, maple or Eucalptus in the PNW .  apartment buildings, in grasy areas next to muclech gargends, with Ivy and blackberry brambles, Davivads tall wild rank grasses,  in Seattle from Oct through Dec until frost or 2-3 day freeze occures and in the Bay area from Late Novemer through Jan-and sometimes into Feb.  

A few images. 

.DSCN3998abcFB.jpg   

DSCN4005abc.jpg

DSCN4009abcFB.jpg

DSCN4010abcFB.jpg

DSCN4016abc.JPG

DSCN4018abcFB.jpg

P1010280abc.jpg

DSCN4080abc1.jpg

DSCN4103abc.jpg

DSCN4162abcFB.jpg

DSCN4208abc.jpg  

DSCN4355-1ForPostingOnly-1abc.jpg   

DSCN8844-1111abc.jpg   

DSCN8850abc-1.jpg  

DSCN8851abc.jpg

Mjshroomer / man of Knowledge

There is much more to my studies of this but here is anh SEM from me and my colleague Praktisin Sihanonth of Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.

Attached File  sem_p._allenii3.psd   798.86KB   65 downloads  

Attached File  sem_p._allenii4.BMP   1.27MB   44 downloads

• Tenderfoot and wildedibles like this

#3 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,630 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 11:41 PM

WEll I will ahve to make some Jpeg images from the BMP AND PSD Photo images as they will  not post as they were made.

• wildedibles likes this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:15 PM

Thanks so much for the information it's much appreciated
I was a little confused as well so thanks for clearing that up
I really want to pull information together at times :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!