6 replies to this topic

#1 Ronico

Ronico

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

Hello everybody!

So I am growing a dub tub, and the bulk is about to be fully colonized in all the sides, I think the bottom is going to take a little longer. Now, the issue is I have to travel, I was wondering if anything would happen if I start to fruit the tub without letting the mycilium colonize all the substrate.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,689 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

How do you think you are gonna "Start to fruit" the tub? Do you actually control that? Like do they listen to you when you tell them to fruit?

You didn't mention how long your gonna be gone but I have a feeling if the tubs listen to your command to fruit they will wait til they are colonized and ready, but if they do listen then you might have mushrooms to pick when you're gone.

• PJammer24 likes this

#3 Ronico

Ronico

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

How do you think you are gonna "Start to fruit" the tub? Do you actually control that? Like do they listen to you when you tell them to fruit?

You didn't mention how long your gonna be gone but I have a feeling if the tubs listen to your command to fruit they will wait til they are colonized and ready, but if they do listen then you might have mushrooms to pick when you're gone.

I don't understad you. When I say "start to fruit" I mean "put the tub in fruiting conditions". Ill be gone for one month so I am not going to be able to fan the tub, I need to fruit them before I travel. My question is what is going to happen if I put the tub into fruiting conditions before all the substrate is colonized...

#4 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

I don't understad you. When I say "start to fruit" I mean "put the tub in fruiting conditions". Ill be gone for one month so I am not going to be able to fan the tub, I need to fruit them before I travel. My question is what is going to happen if I put the tub into fruiting conditions before all the substrate is colonized...

You can have a go at scraping off all colonized grains for disposal then spawning the colonized section. Then It will take about two weeks for it to be ready to fruit conditions, maybe more time. Unfortunately, you being crunched for time right now and going on vacation for a month soon it might not be feasible to try to fruit. I do not recommend spawning partially colonized jar to bulk however, cause when I did something of the sort I got cobweb and a bacterial infection and I was sad.

The next option, and  is IMO my suggestion to you :) to get some more jars of grain going before you vacation for a month. By the time you get back they might be ready for you to to pick up where you have left off. Maybe you can grain to grain it if everything is looking ok and smell is fine. But also spores work too :)

Another option is to leave the jars to colonize, hopefully they will become fully colonized while on vacation and when you get back you can spawn to bulk. There's no rush to spawn, infact people like to let their jars "consolidate" for about two weeks after full colonization occurs. This consolidation helps the mycelium get a firm grip on its nutrious substraight and prevents contamination while spawning to bulk :)

• Ronico likes this

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:50 PM

Many people with dub tubs do not fan their tubs much if at all. Ambiance air current from a small fan is enough. I assume your leaving soon, maybe best option is to let it be. If it has some airflow it will be able to last a month as long as it consolidates the bulk nicely.

I think Mikey has some pretty good advice here, putting it into fruiting conditions right before your about to leave an speed up fruiting however they will fruit while your gone. Best to let it be, they might fruit while your gone but it will most likely be closer to when you get back home

• Ronico likes this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,664 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:50 AM

What mikey is saying is that "fruiting conditions" or not, the substrate isnt going to fruit until it has fully colonized the available nutrient source. You can't force a sub to fruit... Fruiting is a survival mechanism and it begins when the available food source has been exhausted... people say "fruiting conditions" and its confusing... All of my bags, fruiting or colonizing, are in the same conditions from the moment my spawn is mixed with the substrate. Every single bag fully colonizes before fruiting despite getting light from day 1... All of my jars also colonize at the same temperature and while exposed to light...

It isn't going to matter what conditions you put that tub into... It is going to do its thing, fully colonize the nutrient source, and when fully colonized, it will fruit... Mikey was just being a smart ass.

people put cakes into "fruiting conditions" all the time and then wonder why they take 2 weeks to start fruiting. They take that long because the center of the cake wasn't fully colonized when they put it in the fruiting chamber and it needed to finish before it will fruit...

people get confused when we say "fruiting conditions" and they think they can force things to fruit or that fruiting will not begin without these specific conditions. They are going to fruit once colonized, not matter what, and they aren't going to start fruiting until fully colonized...

people make this more complicated than it is.... All you have to do is set your projects on a shelf and let them do their thing... Room temperature is adequate for all stages and the lighting schedule does not matter... Just give them light at some point during the day and for any amount of time so they know what direction to grow... That's pretty much all you need to do.... if you wanna do some fanning once they start pinning, you can do that to, although I never fan when I am using bags and fan sparingly with my tubs...

Edited by PJammer24, 25 November 2019 - 09:54 AM.

• Ronico likes this

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:57 AM

Absolutely agree with Coorsmikey and Pjammer24.

If the substrate isn’t fully colonized and you start fanning it, or misting it, or both you are probably gonna get shit mixed with contamination... you might get lucky and have an early riser or two but they will probably be tiny and you’ll be cultivating contams along side them more than likely.

I wouldn’t leave a tub unattended for a month either tho... unfortunately your best bet is probably to start over when you get back, man.

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 27 November 2019 - 01:01 AM.

• Ronico likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!