Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What meterial to use to make glass petris anti-slip?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:40 AM

Thanks TV! I am reconsidering RTV silicone. I might have to order that, this was holding me back, but I would have to do the same for the etching paste so what the hell..

#22 Julianie

Julianie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

How do you properly steralize a glass petri at home?
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#23 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:38 AM

You can sterilize them like anything else, in a pressure cooker, but seeing that might cause some condensation issues (not a real big problem if you do it right) people seem to prefer to sterilize them in a oven, that's what they do in labs. Next thing on my list is to buy an oven to sterilize my dishes.

#24 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

Get Anchor-Hocking 1/2 pt square jars (at Walmart) make ship plastic lids with plastic felt filters (available at craft stores) 1.50 a sheet makes 30 filters, use RTV to glue all and be done with it.  Use no pour method.  Glass petris slip, break, and  are heavy to lift a stack and hard to wrap (slips) with parafilm. My 2 cents.

#25 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:35 AM

Such useless advice to give to someone who has invested in glass petris and likes to use them. Your post gives away the fact you don't care about my posts and that you haven't read a thing. I don't need your 2 cents.

I'm sorry to be this bold, but I just don't like it.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 02 December 2019 - 09:50 AM.

#26 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 426 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:36 AM

Do an internet search for "petri dish rack".  You could find some affordable ones by poking around.

#27 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 426 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:40 AM

I also use glass petris.  I love it because I never have to order plastic petris and wait for them to come in the mail.  I have been reusing the same glass petris for years and will probably be reusing them for the rest of my life.

With a jar full of MEA agar and a box of glass petris, I never have to wait more than a few hours before I can start doing agar work.  I don't like waiting for mail shipments and I don't have enough space to store sleeves of sterile plastic petris.

• RutgerHauer and DrepsiLocybe like this

#28 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 426 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

BelArtPetriDishRackBELH189790000.jpg

• RutgerHauer likes this

#29 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

That's a great tip orangutan! I have looked for the things a while back but totally forgot about those. Will probably buy one of those in the future, for sure.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 02 December 2019 - 02:05 PM.

#30 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:56 PM

You will evolve.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#31 Julianie

Julianie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:01 PM

Can you walk me through your process?

Do you use a high level disinfectant like bleach or a concentrated h2o2 solution first? 

Do you wrap in tin foil (or something else) & into the PC? How long?

Do you go directly into a SAB from the PC?

Technically speaking as soon as you remove it from the PC it's no longer 'sterile' thats why I am curios about this! I dont like using plastic either...

In hospital we use steam sterilization for a "proper" sterilization, but surgical instruments are wrapped or in a sterilization "tray" for transport/storage. 

You can sterilize them like anything else, in a pressure cooker, but seeing that might cause some condensation issues (not a real big problem if you do it right) people seem to prefer to sterilize them in a oven, that's what they do in labs. Next thing on my list is to buy an oven to sterilize my dishes.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#32 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:08 PM

I wash them with a sponge in soapy water, let them dry over night and then store them in a bin until I sterilize, I use no bleach or alcohol in the process. I have a metal steam basket which I first lay in with tin foil, stack my dishes in that thing, cover up with foil and use masking tape to 'seal' it up. It's not really air tight so steam will still get in there when I sterilize it in my PC, but it should keep dry enough. If I had an oven I could bake them dry. The foil should keep out the contaminants when I take the basket out of the PC, into my SAB.

I work with this steam basket method but I haven't read that anywhere, just something I worked out with the stuff I have on hand. It is the same principle as you describe when I think about it. I don't know how other people wrap their dishes, I suppose you can make some stacks and wrap those. Suppose that would save some steps if I were to do that: I now open up the foil on the steam basket right when I am ready to pour the agar, and take the dishes out one by one and stack after pouring. This process I would like to streamline like I said in this topic, by stacking beforehand and then pouring from the bottom up, but I have to figure out how to make my dishes easy to handle first.

I just did a round of 15 dishes and was just in time before the agar solidified. This for me is why I need to get rid of some unnecessary steps in my process, I don't like getting hasty when pouring dishes, though you will have to be quick anyhow.

Was trying out a new media bottle as well today, it was better to handle than my clunky pyrex pitcher, but I have to adjust my aim, messed up a few dishes probably, will see that tomorrow. Now sleep.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 02 December 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#33 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:18 AM

So while I have been waiting for my RTV silicone to arrive from China, I have thought of a better way of applying it, so that there will still be glass to glass contact without them being able to slide.

You know how the top is wider than the bottom.. when stacked there is an edge on top of the dishes that gives room to apply three or more dots of silicone around the edges that will hold the dish on top in place. If I do it this way there would still be the advantage of stacking them to reduce condensation.

I came up with this while looking into vented dishes. It seemed logical to approach it in a similar manner, but kind of in the other direction.

I am also thinking about the possibility of actually modifying them to make them vented, by simply applying three dots on the top edge of the bottom parts or on the underside of the lid like a regular vented dish, this also would help to reduce condensation after pouring and of course, gas exchange. Not yet sure about this since I would have to apply very small dots of silicone to work correctly - keep them level, will have to wait and see if that is doable. I think it could be done. Might have to find a trick to make that work well. (maybe use something to flatten the dots of silicone, level it out after applying - something with wax paper)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191207_170709.jpg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 07 December 2019 - 03:18 PM.

• TVCasualty and orangutan like this

#34 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted Today, 04:00 AM

Found out yesterday that I CAN pour 5 stacked plates without any problems. Well, how typical..

Have changed my sterilization process from putting the plates in a tray covered with foil to stacks of 5 wrapped in foil. I can now fit more plates into my PC, get those stacks into my SAB without removing the lid of the tub - and found that the issue of sliding and falling plates came from me being clumsy stoned and doing the stacking after pouring.

Guess I'll have some spare RTV silicone soon..

Edited by RutgerHauer, Today, 04:04 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!