• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

Found something else for you and also myself. Second reply clears things up a bit.

Rhizomorphs aren't necessarily something you will see when working from spores, depending on variety.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 23 November 2019 - 03:22 PM.

#22 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

I don’t wanna miss out on some golden genetics that might just take longer to do there thing but... for my purposes I think I’m gonna be shallow and just grab the sexiest parts for now lol

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 23 November 2019 - 03:23 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

Another quick question...

When I’m isolating sectors... do I need to try to grab all of them or just the sexiest ones? I want to get to the point of true isolate (at some point) but I don’t wanna potentially waste my time isolating tomentose, slow or otherwise inferior sectors.

Edit: Thanks @RutgerHauer! I figured it wouldn’t be a whole lot of activated charcoal needed.

Sorry guys I’m out of likes but I really appreciate these answers :) thank you!

Depends on what your goal is.

https://mycotopia.ne...s/#entry1236795

A general rule of thumb is to take a wisp from the longest most aggressive strand of myc.

Plus tomentose growth isn't necessarily a disqualifier. 

Edited by CatsAndBats, 23 November 2019 - 03:27 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#24 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

As I understand it in most cases rhizomorphs form to explore and look for new food sources. If the substrate is sufficient, it would be logical to conclude that not many rhizomorphs form in general, but rhizomorphs might have other functions in Cubensis that i don't know of.

I even remembered where I read it, it's a pretty comprehensive but understandable piece of info on mycelium:  https://www.anbg.gov...i/mycelium.html

It also talks about another species I have thrown on agar recently, Armillaria. One subspecies of Armillaria uses rhizomorphs as hollow tubes to transport oxygen.

#25 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

Very interesting stuff here guys... lots of awesome information!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#26 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

Agar materials acquired.
The time is now.

Thank you all :)
  • crazy1, RutgerHauer and Nicked like this

#27 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:13 AM

Hey Ethno, way to go getting into agar work!!!

HERE is a write up on how I do agar.

Good vibes and I'll be watching to see how it goes for you

Peace

• ethnobotanist420, RutgerHauer and Nicked like this

#28 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

Nice ethno! Just received some new agar equipment as well. Christmas is early this year..

Its not christmas by the way, was just a cool thing to say. Got some extra petris, test tubes, media bottles, agar powder and a spirit burner. Early birthday present from my mom!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 27 November 2019 - 09:24 AM.

• crazy1, ethnobotanist420 and Nicked like this

#29 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:48 PM

So in peacefrogs recipe for corn meal agar it doesn’t say how much water to use...

I know he mixes in the jars so I assume that’s per jar but does anyone know what the cornmeal:agar amounts are for say 500ml of water?

Thanks!

#30 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

Can you either link to the recipe or post it here. I should be able to help you out with amounts.

Peace

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#31 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

Ok, in the write up Peacefrog states 20 grams of agar agar to 1 liter of water. 

So if you're going for the 5 grams, then 250ml of water. Or adjust accordingly

Peace

EDIT: Ok for 500 ml you will use 2 heaping tsp agar agar and 2 1/2tsp of cornmeal 

Edited by crazy1, 27 November 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#32 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

Ok, in the write up Peacefrog states 20 grams of agar agar to 1 liter of water.

So if you're going for the 5 grams, then 250ml of water. Or adjust accordingly

Peace

Cool thanks man! I knew I was missing something!

So:

250ml Water
5g corn meal
4g Agar

I guess the corn meal will reduce the amount of agar needed hey? Does this sound right?

Dunno why I’m having trouble grasping this right now lol

Edit: thanks man I understand the idea of doubling it just curious on the ratios hahaha

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 27 November 2019 - 08:02 PM.

#33 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

You are welcome!!

Yes, the corn meal will be a thickener for sure.

Sometimes things get past all of us, and we need a bit of help. That's why we are all here

Peace

#34 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:03 PM

You are welcome!!
Yes, the corn meal will be a thickener for sure.

Sometimes things get past all of us, and we need a bit of help. That's why we are all here

Peace

Thanks brother :)

#35 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:59 PM

Rule of thumb for any agar recipe:

10g agar agar

10g nutrition

500ml of h2o

#36 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:12 AM

10g agar agar
10g nutrition
500ml of h2o

Thanks, Cat, that’s gonna be helpful as hell.

What I’m gathering from looking at tons of recipes is that there is loooooaaaddds of room to expiriment with these and if I get any good at using agar and want to play a little... that rule of thumb is gonna be awesome to know lol
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#37 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:18 AM

10g agar agar
10g nutrition
500ml of h2o

What I’m gathering from looking at tons of recipes is that there is loooooaaaddds of room to expiriment with these and if I get any good at using agar and want to play a little... that rule of thumb is gonna be awesome to know lol

Just make sure that your nutrition source isn't too acidic or too high in fat content, both will inhibit your agar from setting properly.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#38 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:26 AM

10g agar agar
10g nutrition
500ml of h2o

Just make sure that your nutrition source isn't too acidic or too high in fat content, both will inhibit your agar from setting properly.

I’ll remember that too!

Probably wo t make any experimental agar recipes for a good while tho... just thinking way ahead of myself lol

I still have a lot of tried and true recipes to get down as well as getting good at handling transfers and inoculating physically (dexterity) not to mention understanding why the hell im taking transfers from where I am and what exactly I’m looking for....

But it’s really nice to see another thing in mycology that will keep me interested literally forever.

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 29 November 2019 - 12:28 AM.

#39 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:30 AM

10g agar agar
10g nutrition
500ml of h2o

I’ll remember that too!

Probably wo t make any experimental agar recipes for a good while tho... just thinking way ahead of myself lol

I still have a lot of tried and true recipes to get down as well as getting good at handling transfers and inoculating physically not to mention understanding why the hell im taking transfers from where I am and what exactly I’m looking for....

But it’s really nice to see another thing in mycology that will keep me interested literally forever.

My first successful agar recipe was literally cheap dog food.

After making literally ~500+ agar variations, I find that potato flake agar, brf agar and cornmeal agar are the most user friendly, IMHO of course.

#40 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

10g agar agar
10g nutrition
500ml of h2o

I’ll remember that too!

I still have a lot of tried and true recipes to get down as well as getting good at handling transfers and inoculating physically not to mention understanding why the hell im taking transfers from where I am and what exactly I’m looking for....

My first successful agar recipe was literally cheap dog food.

After making literally ~500+ agar variations, I find that potato flake agar, brf agar and cornmeal agar are the most user friendly, IMHO of course.

That’s really good to know... those 3 and MEA were the ones I was most drawn to for thier simplicity and long history of success!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!