31 replies to this topic

#1 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Hey folks!

I thought I would make a grow log a little earlier in the process this time, I started these B+ jars from spores a few weeks ago, if anyone knows “TBoy” from being around other forums, this is his ISO, it’s pretty bad ass, probably the most aggressive mycelium in my strain library.

I spawned 5 jars so far into 1 tub using the bucket tek, I did them on 11/22 and put them in my upstairs closet where it’s a bit warmer, I won’t even peak at them for 10 days, but most likely they’ll be ready to fruit by then. I just shook the last few jars so I’ll be spawning one more of these tubs in about a week or so.

Just some pics of the myc for now, and the bucket doing its pasteurizing, I don’t really like to take pics during the spawning process to keep it extra sterile and quick. Let’s hope for the best!

Mush love!

Attached Thumbnails

• C050BE84-C5E9-4A46-8138-EC941D939AA6.jpeg
  • E7AC0052-5071-46BF-9F72-EA41E982BCAC.jpeg
  • B6855D9C-946D-42DA-A898-6E726E682412.jpeg
  • 44F72565-CFBE-4DEC-BC15-F8C2304EA7EE.jpeg
  • 6C4221F0-CFCA-4B79-9895-17E202FE421B.jpeg
  • 7C53CDBE-DDEC-48C8-9908-CC924F287717.jpeg

• Tenderfoot, adrian118, flashingrooster and 1 other like this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

Pretty! I love that rhizomorphic growth you have there!

Couple things.

If you shake your jars, you'll have faster 100% colonization times.

Exposing one's bulk to open air once in a while shouldn't increase contamination risk if one's pasteurization technique was executed well, IMHO.

• crazy1, Nicked and FunG like this

#3 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

What catsandbats said and..

5jars of birdseed will do a brick of coir nicely.

Wbs is my favorite multigrain spawn, the spawn run times are unbelievable and it yields a ton of fruits. You shouldn't worry much about contamination just for that fact about it being quick to colonize.

Wbs is done a spawn run in three days at a 1:1ratio or 7at a 1:4 warp speed vs ultra fast, it's always a win win.

Good luck

#4 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

Thanks guys! I always shake the jars around 30%,I know there’s a low risk of contams but I’m sterile as fuck. Barely rarely ever get contams, but I’m also always using a hepa filter. I’ve been doing this hobby for a long time, I’m just new to this site.
  • crazy1, CatsAndBats and FunG like this

#5 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:30 AM

Same here stençill86

I'm a proud shroomery out cast :)

#6 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:00 PM

Wbs is my favorite multigrain spawn, the spawn run times are unbelievable and it yields a ton of fruits. You shouldn't worry much about contamination just for that fact about it being quick to colonize.
Wbs is done a spawn run in three days at a 1:1ratio or 7at a 1:4 warp speed vs ultra fast, it's always a win win.
Good luck

This is just white millet, I used to do wbs for years but this is much cleaner to do, especially with a no soak no simmer, I got it down to where I like it and converted it to weight to its precise every time. I used to waste so much time skimming, soaking and drying wbs lol, times have changed for the better tho.
  • CatsAndBats and adrian118 like this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

Good luck

This is just white millet, I used to do wbs for years but this is much cleaner to do, especially with a no soak no simmer, I got it down to where I like it and converted it to weight to its precise every time. I used to waste so much time skimming, soaking and drying wbs lol, times have changed for the better tho.

What's your technique? I was thinking about going off of oats. I'm paying $18 for 50lbs of race horse oats but I'd be willing to spend more for a smaller grain, for more inoculation points.

No soak? How do you hydrate them?

Edited by CatsAndBats, 25 November 2019 - 09:48 PM.

#8 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:14 PM

I pay 40$ for 50lb, it’s some nice stuff from a feed store. I just add 275g of millet into a qrt sized jar, then add 170g of water and pc for 90 min, you just gotta be around for a couple hours after to shake the shit outta them to distribute the moisture. Doesn’t get any easier.
  • CatsAndBats, adrian118 and FunG like this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:17 PM

I pay 40$ for 50lb, it’s some nice stuff from a feed store. I just add 275g of millet into a qrt sized jar, then add 170g of water and pc for 90 min, you just gotta be around for a couple hours after to shake the shit outta them to distribute the moisture. Doesn’t get any easier.

Nice! A little "no-prep" prep. :tongue: Thanks!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 25 November 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#10 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the good vibes guys, This tubs ready to fruit today, some nice little myc flowers all over.
The other jars have stalled a little bit, I’m thinking my temp might be too high, I’m running them at like 82 because it was kinda slow before at like 78, but maybe I was just impatient.

Also, I’ve been seeing a lot of gypsum being used, will that help speed things up or is it just used to help with contamination? I read that it helps clumping, is that just for after the PC or is does it kind of loosen up the myc in the jars too?

Attached Thumbnails

• C3FF5E81-C820-4B7A-84F4-0A36242AA7EF.jpeg

Edited by Stencill86, 02 December 2019 - 11:10 AM.

• Tenderfoot likes this

#11 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:36 AM

I found the sites egg head magoo te-he

That is precision I cant master stençill86, anytime I tryed my grains turned to mush, wbs, rye or otherwise.

The tub is looking great

The gympsum is a food source for mycelium and helps bolster the overall yield of the mycelium. As well as what you know, that it's a nesscesity for starchy grains like wbs,rye to prevent clumping. Also it helps offset the moisture content in jars perfectly when used.

And I doubt the jars are stalled because of the temp, p.cubensis do really well at 80-85f but it also encourages bacteria so everyone recommends 72-78f for incubation but men, if you've got a good pressure cooker then it wont be a issue for you.

You could try shaking the jars, they tend to stall the closer they are to being fully colonized, a shake and by the time they're recovered they'll also be fully consolidated.

Edited by FunG, 02 December 2019 - 11:37 AM.

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,664 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:46 AM

That is precision I cant master stençill86, anytime I tryed my grains turned to mush, wbs, rye or otherwise.

The tub is looking great

The gympsum is a food source for mycelium and helps bolster the overall yield of the mycelium. As well as what you know, that it's a nesscesity for starchy grains like wbs,rye to prevent clumping. Also it helps offset the moisture content in jars perfectly when used.

And I doubt the jars are stalled because of the temp, p.cubensis do really well at 80-85f but it also encourages bacteria so everyone recommends 72-78f for incubation but men, if you've got a good pressure cooker then it wont be a issue for you.

You could try shaking the jars, they tend to stall the closer they are to being fully colonized, a shake and by the time they're recovered they'll also be fully consolidated.

gyp provides a source of calcium and certainly helps to eliminate clumping, but the main use of gypsum is to buffer the PH... buffered PH can increase yields but more importantly, in my mind at least, it helps ward of contaminates.

Contaminates thrive in low PH, acidic environs... If you buffer the PH and keep it higher for a longer period of time, you will help mitigate some contamination risk.

Edited by PJammer24, 02 December 2019 - 02:24 PM.

• crazy1, Nicked and cybele like this

#13 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:42 PM

I forgot about the p.h buffering...

Someone once explained to me that there is a different composition between the calcium carbonate (gypsum) in tums (,the tablet form) then that off horticultural grade gypsum.... it came down to molecular structuring to convince me I was wrong but now that you brought up the ph fact then I do believe I should try tums again since gypsum either way is going to lower the p.h

But yea, wasnt thinking about it being a ph buffer as well, thanks for the reminder.
  • crazy1 likes this

#14 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:37 PM

Soaking some WBS right now in a coffee, water, and gypsum mix. Cubes can tolerate higher acidity so when you soak the grains in coffee (acidic) would that help with the PH since the grains will absorb it?

With gypsum added how exactly would it buffer something acidic like coffee? does it bring PH up or down if it swings too far in one direction? a set PH or what? Never understood exactly how it works yet I use it a lot...

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,664 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

Soaking some WBS right now in a coffee, water, and gypsum mix. Cubes can tolerate higher acidity so when you soak the grains in coffee (acidic) would that help with the PH since the grains will absorb it?

With gypsum added how exactly would it buffer something acidic like coffee? does it bring PH up or down if it swings too far in one direction? a set PH or what? Never understood exactly how it works yet I use it a lot...

It is not so much a PH adjuster you can use to adjust the PH upward. As your substrate breaks down, it naturally becomes more acidic. The gypsum helps to maintain a more basic PH level for a longer period of time rather than dropping more quickly.

#16 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:30 PM

Nice, so it will prolong the sub for some extra flushes? Ive always had good results without it, and low contams but I’ve been having a hard time breaking up the myc when I shake the jars up, I’d like to distribute the myc a little more evenly.

#17 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,664 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

Nice, so it will prolong the sub for some extra flushes? Ive always had good results without it, and low contams but I’ve been having a hard time breaking up the myc when I shake the jars up, I’d like to distribute the myc a little more evenly.

Either smack them off your hand to break it up or you can use a bike tire or similar to bang them off of.

#18 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

The tub is looking great

Thanks! There was a lot of condensation sitting on the bottom too, this strain usually produces alot but it seems like an excessive amount, I’ll snap some pics tonight and post em.

#19 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

Either smack them off your hand to break it up or you can use a bike tire or similar to bang them off of.

I’ve tried that, and I I’ve a pretty good carpeted basement floor that works good. But I still end up with golf ball sized chunks after banging them 5000x lol

#20 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:31 PM

Then you need to increase your shaking of the grain jars.

I do around 25% then when it's 75%, which is quit quickly, then at 90% and get the sub ready.

Peace

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!