• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

Coorsmikey. This agar work is a pain. Do you use a LF hood or am I over thinking shit?b0a41b929b41fe71c7c405f95c480bb4.jpgec1bf01d747d99048b096302656e1d6a.jpg

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

Edited by Randys67, 24 November 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#2 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:10 PM

Can never be too sterile man, makes it a lot easier to rule out problems if they occur. I use a hepa filter and it works awesome. Good luck!

#3 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:20 PM

Can never be too sterile man, makes it a lot easier to rule out problems if they occur. I use a hepa filter and it works awesome. Good luck!

Thanks man.  A HEPA filter with a laminar flow or how?  I need to remove that last picture...any idea how? lol

• adrian118 likes this

#4 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

Thanks man.  A HEPA filter with a laminar flow or how?  I need to remove that last picture...any idea how? lol

got it, duh.  hahahhaha...

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,867 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

Yeah you're overthinking it. Yeah its a pain at least until you get the hang of it and know where you can shortcut. I actual sit on a barstool at the barter in the kitchen to do agar. I use the bathroom to shit, shower and shave. Its probably the most unsanitary place in my house actually and I keep it pretty clean. I wouldn't want to eat in my bathroom though. I don't sanitize my bathroom sink before I shit or brush my teeth but I do sanitize my kitchen before and after prepping meals. I think if I asked someone over for dinner in my bathroom they would most likely decline but nobody objects to eat food from the kitchen. IDK why people think bathrooms are a good place to do agar? Plus the faucet and sink don't make a good workstation. Hurts your  back and makes you super clumsy. The key to successful agar is quick, smooth, calculated movement and if you're not comfortable you will have none of those. We can get into that more another day.

If you are trying to do something with the spores I sent? there was nothing discussed that mentioned you must do agar. It's recommended for spore prints of questionable origins, but what I sent I make syringes with them for my own use. I don't have any contaminations issue with them at all. They are printed in SAB but I do all my work in open air in the F-ing kitchen lol and I still don't have issues. Man all you have to do is take a sterile syringe with sterile water in it. Crack open the baggie the print came in and squirt a couple CC's in it and close it up. Rub the print off through the baggie with your fingers, massage it ya know? Then wipe the baggie with alchohol. Stab it with the syringe and suck back the purple spore water. Bam! Then you're back in business as usual.  Make sense man? Maybe I can take some pics and do a step by step. But hey If you want to do agar which every serious cultivator should do, disregard that last part. I can't go around saying that flow hoods and SABs are a waste of time now cuz there are so many that cannot do clean work with them, how do expect their work to be without them. But yeah,We definitely overthink shit with this hobby. 

Edited by coorsmikey, 24 November 2019 - 09:24 PM.

• Salem and SkinnyDIpper like this

#6 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:29 PM

Ty man. I have not received the prints yet but eagerly awaiting! I do agar work at a table in my den. So you don't use a still air box or anything in your kitchen? I took pic (which I've since removed) in mirror of BR but don't do anything in there. I'm having trouble seeing through the plastic and eyes bad enough that I can't really see the rhinos I'm trying to get isolated into another agar plate. How exactly do you do? I'm making up some Karo syrup LCs and will use your prints in them. I did 2 in PC so far for APE and they are great. Can't thank you enough. Just don't wanna quit having "fun" with this hobby. :)))

• coorsmikey likes this

#7 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

My funky set upa6b10df259903a77f7c2b071b0fef8d8.jpg

#8 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

Yeah you're overthinking it. Yeah its a pain at least until you get the hang of it and know where you can shortcut. I actual sit on a barstool at the barter in the kitchen to do agar. I use the bathroom to shit, shower and shave. Its probably the most unsanitary place in my house actually and I keep it pretty clean. I wouldn't want to eat in my bathroom though. I don't sanitize my bathroom sink before I shit or brush my teeth but I do sanitize my kitchen before and after prepping meals. I think if I asked someone over for dinner in my bathroom they would most likely decline but nobody objects to eat food from the kitchen. IDK why people think bathrooms are a good place to do agar? Plus the faucet and sink don't make a good workstation. Hurts your back and makes you super clumsy. The key to successful agar is quick, smooth, calculated movement and if you're not comfortable you will have none of those. We can get into that more another day.

If you are trying to do something with the spores I sent? there was nothing discussed that mentioned you must do agar. It's recommended for spore prints of questionable origins, but what I sent I make syringes with them for my own use. I don't have any contaminations issue with them at all. They are printed in SAB but I do all my work in open air in the F-ing kitchen lol and I still don't have issues. Man all you have to do is take a sterile syringe with sterile water in it. Crack open the baggie the print came in and squirt a couple CC's in it and close it up. Rub the print off through the baggie with your fingers, massage it ya know? Then wipe the baggie with alchohol. Stab it with the syringe and suck back the purple spore water. Bam! Then you're back in business as usual. Make sense man? Maybe I can take some pics and do a step by step. But hey If you want to do agar which every serious cultivator should do, disregard that last part. I can't go around saying that flow hoods and SABs are a waste of time now cuz there are so many that cannot do clean work with them, how do expect their work to be without them. But yeah,We definitely overthink shit with this hobby.

I'll do it exactly like that when I get. Excited and appreciative

#9 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:31 AM

I use a glovebox, gloves attached...100% air tight.

Probably safer then a flow hood tbh but a flow hood frees you from being cramped up in a glovebox since your arm movement becomes limited, I learned to use my fingers quite well at passing instruments and unscrewing/moving jars etc.... all work is done in my kitchen since well....its a bachelor apt...only got the kitchen, bachelor pad and bathroom and counter space is non existent.

A den would be cultivation at the Ritz to me right now lol
  • Randys67 and macgyver like this

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

I think people assume to use a bathroom because it is often the smallest space in the house other than the toilet, and that is recommended in case you arent using a still air- or glovebox. A small space would be easier to 'sanitize' by spraying the room with some alcohol or bleech solution before working on your agar and there would be less air to move around, but you would also have to assume that you keep your bathroom clean enough to not cause problems.

I would not like to work in my bathroom, dont know who else was here before me (i believe there was some filthy person living here gauging the state of the house when i moved in) and what stuff they brought into the shower. Same goes for any room in the house by the way but I painted the whole house before i moved in but skipped the shower. I associate humid enviroments like the shower with molds so thats a big reason i would like my grow operation out of there as well.

I have my SAB set up in the corner of my bedroom, only other thing I do in that room is sleeping after a shower and hanging up my laundry. It is a smaller space than my living room and has less smokey/filthy air than my living room.

Anyway, a still air box or especially a glove box should do the trick in almost any environment, if handled correctly. I have heard that mycologists use portable ones 'in the wild' to immediately be able to work with the samples they took that day.

• Randys67 likes this

#11 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

Ty! I'm hoping to get your prints today. And I'm so grateful for the instructions brother. I use my small room off the garage. It has its own heat and AC separate from house and very clean. Does have an attached BR but never used. I use it strictly for mushrooms and my computer. Though I do smoke in there. Yes BR work would be a shitty idea...:) And the humidity would be horrid. Amazing how this all is working. We moved to this rental home sight unseen from 3 hours away. Had never even been here before. It's perfect. Ty man. I'll be sure and let you know when I get prints :)

#12 SkinnyDIpper

SkinnyDIpper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

I've always used the oven door method for any sterile work. I put the oven on 325-350 for 15 minutes, drop it down to 250, lay a piece of cardboard on the door to keep from burning things and do my thing.

I did do agar this way, once (which is the only time I've done agar). No issues, no contams. Although I understand why someone wouldn't want to do it that way, especially if you have roommates that you're trying to keep this a secret from. Luckily I haven't had that problem

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
  • Randys67 likes this

#13 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

I've always used the oven door method for any sterile work. I put the oven on 325-350 for 15 minutes, drop it down to 250, lay a piece of cardboard on the door to keep from burning things and do my thing.

I did do agar this way, once (which is the only time I've done agar). No issues, no contams. Although I understand why someone wouldn't want to do it that way, especially if you have roommates that you're trying to keep this a secret from. Luckily I haven't had that problem

lol..no roommates at almost 70 but a supportive wife, who is amazed to see psychedelics showing up everywhere in a positive light...Ray Donovan, the CBS series Evil, everywhere.  This is such a well kept secret, yet millions are growing and taking.  It appears to be a "wave" that is unstoppable....

• crazy1 and SkinnyDIpper like this

#14 SkinnyDIpper

SkinnyDIpper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

It is unstoppable, and I think that'll end up being an overall good thing for society and individuals... it sure has been for me.

• Randys67 likes this

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...29988-oven-tek/

• Randys67 and SkinnyDIpper like this

#16 SkinnyDIpper

SkinnyDIpper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

Good thread. After reading it makes me think that my success could come from a couple factors: a nice preheat/sterilization, and I would venture a guess that shutting off all air-moving sources for 30-60 minutes prior (closing windows, turning off a/c and fans, etc) seems to go a long way.

Cant remember where I got the oven tek from originally, I'm looking through my saved "Let's Grow Mushrooms!" videos to see if that's where I got it from. These videos were instrumental to my success when I did my first grow

If anyone would like the videos I can find a way to host them. There are 16, totalling 1.6Gb

Edited by SkinnyDIpper, 25 November 2019 - 01:33 PM.

• Randys67 likes this

#17 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

If you look at the incense smoke, it shows that the air current is being pulled from the opposite direction of the oven heat. You have gotten lucky. You would have just as much luck with open air inoculation. It costs 20 bucks for a sterilite box, baggies and tape to be certain. But I am sure you have already figured that out. I in now way shape or form want new folk to see this as a short cut and follow in kind. The contamination spore ratio is low where you are right now. Others may not have that luxury. One contaminated grow will change your luck, I promise. If you want to go rogue, don't bother with the oven. Just inoculate in open air.

12307.jpg

Edited by onediadem, 25 November 2019 - 02:27 PM.

• crazy1, coorsmikey, PJammer24 and 2 others like this

#18 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

It is unstoppable, and I think that'll end up being an overall good thing for society and individuals... it sure has been for me.

i totally agree.  It is almost like a move of God....quiet but taking over everywhere.  I have an old friend who is 72 and he said he can tell what good it is doing me at lo dose by my facebook posts.  amazing

• SkinnyDIpper likes this

#19 SkinnyDIpper

SkinnyDIpper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

If you look at the incense smoke, it shows that the air current is being pulled from the opposite direction of the oven heat. You have gotten lucky. You would have just as much luck with open air inoculation. It costs 20 bucks for a sterilite box, baggies and tape to be certain. But I am sure you have already figured that out. I in now way shape or form want new folk to see this as a short cut and follow in kind. The contamination spore ratio is low where you are right now. Others may not have that luxury. One contaminated grow will change your luck, I promise. If you want to go rogue, don't bother with the oven. Just inoculate in open air.

12307.jpg

Good point, I'm sure I've been pretty lucky. My first grow did have 1 jar (out of 6) that got contaminated with what I think was green forest mold, although the house I lived in at the time was kinda run-down so it could have been any number of things.

In the future I'll definitely switch to at least a glove box so I can be sure I'm not contaminating.

#20 SkinnyDIpper

SkinnyDIpper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

i totally agree. It is almost like a move of God....quiet but taking over everywhere. I have an old friend who is 72 and he said he can tell what good it is doing me at lo dose by my facebook posts. amazing
I'll be giving microdosing a try for the first time in the near future... all thanks to Joe Rogan (for hosting him) and Paul Stamets for leading me toward this path.

I'll admit I've become somewhat stuck in a paralysis by analysis when it comes to a lot of personal psychological work... then again, nothing is overnight when it comes to that. But I'm always looking for an edge to upgrade myself.

• Randys67 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!