Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Must I wait for pinning before fruiting?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:34 PM

"Pinning" IS fruiting. The second stage of it, to be clear.

And you definitely want them out of the jars before they've formed pins.

I suspect that "pins" and "knots" (aka "primordia") are being used interchangeably in many of the replies in this thread. Knotting/forming primordia is the first stage of fruiting.

Both knots and pins are fragile, so birthing after either have formed risks damaging them and rendering them into aborts, forcing the cake to regrow new knots and pins.

When a substrate has shrunk inside a jar it means it's being consumed, so it's either been over-incubated or else got dried out too much, which would also inhibit fruiting/knot formation.

The best approach is doing a lot of grows and paying real close attention to everything whether they were successful or contaminated. Both are very educational, and eventually lead to mastering the process to the point where failure/contamination is the rare exception.

There's no substitute for hand's-on experience.

• rstranger likes this

#42 rstranger

rstranger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

One of the substrates has shrunk a good amount inside the jar. Maybe it is time for that one.

I've gotten replies from both sides of the fence—some saying wait for pins, some saying I don't have to. I'm seems that both have worked for some people.  

You're right—hands-on experience is the best way to learn. I'll just have to do what I think is best, based on replies from folks with the most experience, such as yourself.

Thanks for the info, TVCasualty.

#43 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

I think it's time to get those cakes out of those jars. Probably was a week ago, frankly. Dunk them for ~12 hours (you can do that in the jar) before putting them into whatever you're fruiting them in. They are certainly very dehydrated by now, which is what I suspect is delaying or preventing them from knotting.

Edited by TVCasualty, 05 December 2019 - 08:25 PM.

#44 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

For my own personal reference, knots/primordia are tiny white dots that form into pins right? To me knots/knotting is the network coming together and forming the little bulbs, and once you see the color change and the head start to define that is a pin. So knotting>knots(primordia)>pins?

• TVCasualty likes this

#45 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

Yep.

• macgyver likes this

#46 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:06 PM

I just mix the spawn and sub, cover with seran wrap, poke some pin sized holes in the seran wrap (a lot of pin sized holes)
Stick it in a sunny place but directly out of the sunlight and then wait for pins and essentially invitro fruit where you just neglect to fan, I'll only open up to mist once or twice before maturity.....it works fine to fruit p.cubensis not sure with cyans or other species....

Lazy means way
  • macgyver likes this

#47 MindHunter

MindHunter

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:27 PM

One thing I'll say, is pick a TEK from one of these old heads on this forum, and follow it to the letter, I have never waited on pinning either and the magic happened just as it should. PATIENCE is a word that I never knew the definition of until I started learning these teks. But being impatient when I first started, had me throwing out jars, sub, as well as money. Soooo, nuff said! Good luck on your grow, and much love my friend....HOLLA

#48 rstranger

rstranger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:38 PM

Just an update here, for anyone that's interested.

TVCasualty, I went ahead and dunked the 2 cakes last Thursday, per your recommendation. I dunked for 15 hours. Friday afternoon I placed them into fruiting chambers, Chronic Tek. 

I drilled four 1/8" holes in the lid, and the plastic quarts are risen using large hardware nuts VHB taped to the lid. The cakes are on risers as well, just cut out pieces of a plastic water bottle—though you can probably see how 1/2" of the cake is sinking into the plastic riser. And there appears to be more condensation on the inside of those small plastic risers.

No signs of pinning at all. It's only been 3 days in the fruiting chamber.

FYI, fully colonized (visibly) on November 19th.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5713.JPG

#49 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:27 PM

Those mini-FCs are going to need either a lot of attention all day long (opening them up to refresh air every couple of hours or so) or else you need to add some filtered holes for fresh air exchange (if there aren't any yet, which it looks like is the case).

Not sure why you put the cakes into those bottles but they should be removed from them since the trapped air will just get stagnant and contaminate the cake.

#50 rstranger

rstranger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:33 PM

Huh. So the 4 holes drilled in the lid aren't enough? What exactly are filtered holes, and where would they go?

I followed this chronic tek via the pdf file Hippie3 provided who knows when...

#51 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:08 PM

I mentioned that because I couldn't see any holes in the pictures and I guess I missed the part where you mentioned the 1/8" holes when I first read it. I've not done the Chronic Tek before so if you're following it then keep doing that. The CO2 will be higher by virtue of the lack of active air exchange (unless the Chronic Tek calls for opening them up a few times per day) but that doesn't matter much and only causes the stems to elongate and the caps to be small.

I suppose that you don't need filtration on those holes since they're on the bottom but that could allow gnats to get in. Also, using an individual FC for each cake will prevent cross-contamination but will also be more work than other methods for relatively low yields.

#52 rstranger

rstranger

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:09 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!