4 replies to this topic

#1 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

Well Folks, after a solid 15 years of looking all over the place, and never quite certain about finding, I finally found some legit P. cinctulus growing from straw (hay?) bales set up as erosion control. 

It was a magnificent feeling, seeing these things.  What was not a magnificent feeling, was coming back about a week later after I thought conditions were perfect, ready to feast my eyes on pristine, bountiful Panaeolus cinctulus, a sight I'd been seeking for approximately half of my lifespan, only to see a solid cluster of these babes all dried out and past (no pic of that one).  I came back after every rain after that, but they never showed up.

Oh, well, I'll take what I can get!  I did get a spore print at least, so maybe some day when the time is right, I'll summon them from the microcosm.  It may be a bit late now, but I think I'll grab a piece of that hay bale and stack another couple bales over it, just in case they decide to pop next year. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Sub1.jpg
  • Sub2.jpg
  • Sub3.JPG

• onediadem, ethnobotanist420, CatsAndBats and 2 others like this

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:04 AM

They are a very pretty species and I would also love to find some of these to cultivate. What is your strategy of looking for these?

If I have to believe P. Stamets they should be easy to find since they grow all over the place, especially near horse stables/fields. Of course like all mushrooms you would have to be lucky regarding the timing.
  • ethnobotanist420 likes this

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,707 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:20 AM

They are a very pretty species and I would also love to find some of these to cultivate. What is your strategy of looking for these?

If I have to believe P. Stamets they should be easy to find since they grow all over the place, especially near horse stables/fields. Of course like all mushrooms you would have to be lucky regarding the timing.

That’s where I have found them!

There’s a pretty large horse pasture I go to when I’m picking up manure or looking for these mushrooms and I always seem to find them in the mess of straw bedding and manure where windbreaks and feeding areas are. The horse pasture I go to has a few separate fields and the owner moves them from one field to the next and cleans up the areas they were in the previous years... I seem to find them in the warmer months after a good summer rain in the fields that haven’t been cleaned up yet where the horses bedded down and ate.

I really need to find where he puts all this “soiled bedding” cuz I think that would be the hotspot.

Usually if I’m seeing Pan. Antillarums I know I’m in the right area and I’ll find Pan. Cintulus there either fruiting with the Antillarums or very shortly after.

I haven’t ever found them in cow pastures but I haven’t looked that hard in them either so, I dunno.

Figured I’d share what works for me lol I didn’t make it out there to look for mushrooms this year cuz I didnt need manure and I was mostly chasing mycorrhizal fungi... I’ll have to make a point of going out next year.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:47 AM

Good to know that it is a good place to look! When I found out about these species I wasn't in an area where much horses are kept, but that has changed. I remember specifically that Stamets advices to look for the spot where horses would go and get some shade,  eat and poop. That is apparently the ideal combination for Cinctulus, as you have just confirmed. :)

#5 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

I had always thought about trying to get access to a large horse field, and finally did two summers ago when we got a ton of rain in August.  I found a few growing directly from horse manure, and P. antillarum, definitely some semiovatus. To be honest, the poopiness really turned me off from the whole prospect of eating these mushrooms, I like the idea of eating them from rotting hay better!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!