• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theshado

theshado

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:21 AM

I’m still attempting to grow mycelium on agar, and one of the methods I used was to take a piece of mycelium from the side of a pf tek cake inside my SAB. This is the result after about 5 or 6 days. It started as a little white on a piece of vermiculite...

As you can see, it is making a mound that is spilling over onto the agar. Like it’s a lake and the little bastards don’t wanna swim in it.

Is this mycelium by chance??

7eb7a8e2b955ff301688aeaa7d4fd92f.jpg4b52b7bd92690874df0ce0eb4dc8273e.jpg9f4f11da22317b498046b4c1b4b60679.jpg

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

Yes it is probably mycelium. What species of mycelium are you trying to grow here?

Five or six days seems a bit fast to me for it to grow this much, for cubensis, but what do I know? You might have some strong genetics here of have it in higher temperatures than I would.

The pictures aren't clear enough to say anything more than this.

Could you give a description of what the mycelium looks like to you? Is it kind of hairy or more like a cloud?

Edited by RutgerHauer, 26 November 2019 - 06:59 AM.

#3 theshado

theshado

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

Yes it is probably mycelium. What species of mycelium are you trying to grow here?

Five or six days seems a bit fast to me for it to grow this much, for cubensis, but what do I know? You might have some strong genetics here of have it in higher temperatures than I would.

The pictures aren't clear enough to say anything more than this.

Could you give a description of what the mycelium looks like to you? Is it kind of hairy or more like a cloud?

Thanks for the reply RutgerHauer. So, the story behind this is I had a contaminated jar in one spot, so I scooped out some mycelium and put in to multiple other jars. One of those took without any contamination and once it was ready for fruiting, I transferred a small piece to this agar jar.

The way it looks to me is literally like a smooth cloud. I’ve had cob web mild before and that tends to grow cottony rather than solid veiny (sorry if my descriptions are terrible). Any agar pictures is see, the mycelium grows almost “veiny” in a thin layer in the agar. This is pretty thick as you can see and is expanding rather thick so I wasn’t sure.

Attached is a picture of its source I took a piece from for the agar. Not that it tells you much, but I just like showing off I actually got stuff growing whenever I can=D509b64e3143a59a4fb55b05bb34e1d79.jpg
  • crazy1 and RutgerHauer like this

#4 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:50 AM

One thing Im noting in your pics is of the poly lid is also covered with foil.

Correct me if im wrong but if the myc is becoming extra fuzzy is it due to the fact that its covered and not able to breath? But then how does myc breathe in a normal agar plate without a poly hole anyway??

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:27 AM

Hey shado, thanks for getting back. You are correct in that cubensis mycelium mostly will grow in the manner you described, first staying on the agar surface and later on thickening up.

I didn't want to go here without more info but now I think you might have something like verticillium growing there. The cloudy and mountainy (sounds pretty picturesque huh?) description for me feels like it fits that contaminant, which grows very quickly indeed. I'll add a picture of the contaminant I speak about on agar. I can also see your fruits are suffering from the contaminant, the dark lines on the stipe are a giveaway. (It is supposed to be fine to still eat them, but it will be hard to get a clean culture from it)

I'm afraid you picked the wrong kind of mycelium off of the cake. It is a common airborne contaminant, so that could be a hint as to how it got in your grow.

@adrian: we use something called parafilm in working with petris. It is a breathable film you can cling around them. Poly hole or not, there should be plenty of oxygen in that jar for the mycelium to grow for a while without issues. People use cling film as a cheap alternative to parafilm and that stuff doesn't breathe, but they will still grow healthy mycelium despite that it 'can't breathe'.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-Figure1-1.png

Edited by RutgerHauer, 27 November 2019 - 02:57 AM.

• crazy1, adrian118 and Nicked like this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,664 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

One thing Im noting in your pics is of the poly lid is also covered with foil.

Correct me if im wrong but if the myc is becoming extra fuzzy is it due to the fact that its covered and not able to breath? But then how does myc breathe in a normal agar plate without a poly hole anyway??

FAE is not a concern until you get to the fruiting change. At this stage, we refer to it as GE (gas exchange) and the requirement is much lower. The foil on the jar will not impact growth... I like to keep the foil on my jars after removing them from the autoclave. I could take them off but I have really found no need to. I pull them out of the sterilizer, put them in the box they came it, and throw them on the shelf.

• adrian118 likes this

#7 theshado

theshado

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the info folks! I’m attaching a new picture of the “mountain” today just to show the growth rate and this is about how I actually see it as well.

I am also attaching a few other jars for opinions of these are looking right? Again, it’s tough to see through the sides of these stupid things but so far everything is at least white. Almost looks like melted wax on top of the agar in some places: the big lumpy one is from a piece taken from a brf cake. The others are pieces of the mushroom meat thrown in. The big black gross one was the mushroom cap... fell from my glove covered in alcohol so figured what the hell... leave it there and see if the spores drop in my favour

e99434f342627827a3fd70e74abfb2c1.jpg9821145f37ab1aa78e968e63a0e03344.jpg02fc8a55454c955f290a3e6abbc4b652.jpgfbc2fbb455ed404a8e8fd3b2a6365fe1.jpgf439f3aa4fa1aeef81cb9c4b526e07e8.jpg

#8 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

Ok since you said the black coloration was a cap then those are ok, I think. I'd be worried about the cap causing contamination, so keep an eye on that. The fourth picture does not look right and the last, again, looks good and white and is likely good mycelium but keep an eye on it and if it changes colors in the slightest send us some more photos. The mounding does look funny to me because you usually don't see that on agar. I hardly ever use agar so my diagnosis is from looking at other's agar photos.

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,689 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

The big mound looks like the agar is covered in bacteria, the why the myc doesn't want to swim in that lake. Bacteria on agar does resemble melted candle wax. That also support the weird growth in question.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!