• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HeavyOntheMental

HeavyOntheMental

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:22 PM

I have been seeking mushrooms of the magical variety for quite some time now, but have only now begun to wonder about what is beyond the mushroom itself. I have never been on a mushroom journey, and intend to create my own mushes for my first experience. If anyone has any tips for someone completely green I would appreciate them. (over any aspect of shroomery) I have assembled a rig for the purpose of fruiting and intend on getting started once My spores arrive. Looking forward to being a part of this community.

#2 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:32 AM

Welcome to Mycotopia man! Pleasure to meet ya!

What kind of grow are you planning? Cakes? Are you starting with grain and have a bulk grow in mind?

Without knowing what method you plan to use my advice would be: ask questions, read, read more, ask more questions and be patient lol

Lots of beginners like to start with cakes (pf-tek) but I started with bulk myself and the best advise I could give you from my experience growing mushrooms would be to show up here and you have :) lol

If you have any specific questions or just wanna go over your plan I’d be happy to help and so will a lot of other people so don’t be afraid to ask!

Good luck, brother!

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 27 November 2019 - 12:34 AM.

• dial8, coorsmikey and HeavyOntheMental like this

#3 HeavyOntheMental

HeavyOntheMental

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:50 AM

I am embarrassed to not be able to answer your questions with any confidence.  I have purchased a growing kit online that contains the following

Contents: 

• 12 ½ pint substrate Jars- Pressure sterilized and ready to grow
  • Growing Chamber (20"x14x14")
  • Digital Thermometer with Hygrometer/humidity gauge
  • Fully Submersible 100W Aquarium Heater with adjustable thermostat
  • Electric Air Pump, ultra silent
  • Silicone Air filtration hose with HEPA filter built in
  • Heavy duty Electric timer with 24 on/off settings per day
  • 3 Diode Blue Spectrum LED Battery Operated Grow Light
  • 900 Lumen 110V 36-Diode HP LED Plug-in Grow Light with dual spectrum technology
  • Outlet Light Adapter/Converter
  • 1 Gallon of Perlite- Fine, specially formulated horticulture grade
  • Hospital grade Latex Gloves
  • Alcohol swabs
  • A growers guide

I have also purchased 6 (2 cube B, 2 kss, and 2 amazon) spore syringes from a merchant suggested within this forum.

I am not sure what a cake is and the various teks that I see mentioned again and again through the forum are a mystery to me, I am kind of just hoping that this grow kit plus the syringes are the only things I will need. If you see anything missing or wrong about my set up please dont hesitate to speak up, any alternatives or fixes to my setup are also encouraged. I have seen the guide that has been recommended (mushroom for the masses or something?) but I find it difficult to digest "textbook" style guides, if there are any videos that will go down easier please share them with me. 

• 12 Ultimate ½ pint substrate Jars- Pressure sterilized and ready to grow!
  • Dual Design Modular Growing Chamber (20"x14x14")
  • Holds up to 18 jars at a time!
  • Digital Thermometer with Hygrometer/humidity gauge
  • Fully Submersible 100W Aquarium Heater with adjustable thermostat
  • Electric Air Pump, ultra silent
  • Silicone Air filtration hose with HEPA filter built in
  • Heavy duty Electric timer with 24 on/off settings per day
  • 3 Diode Blue Spectrum LED Battery Operated Grow Light
  • 900 Lumen 110V 36-Diode HP LED Plug-in Grow Light with dual spectrum technology (NEW!)
  • Outlet Light Adapter/Converter
  • 1 Gallon of Perlite- Fine, imported, specially formulated horticulture grade
  • Hospital grade Latex Gloves
  • Alcohol swabs
  • Glossy, full color, easy to follow growing guide with step by step photo instructions. Includes our secret tips, tricks and hints that other grow guides leave out. Includes how to incubate, how to fruit, casing methods, and access to our online library of other guides for you to learn even more about how to grow mushrooms! Online and print version included.

#4 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

Don’t be embarrassed, man! We all start somewhere!

Ok so it seems that your grow kit has Premade brown rice flour (brf) and vermiculite cakes (pf-tek) and will have you fruit them in a bit of a modified grow chamber.

So let’s take a look at the original Pf-Tek to get us familiar with the process in its simplist form:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=ZHJQrsZFQdE

So In this first clip they are preparing Brf cakes and sterilizing them. They are only sterilizing them in a pot which is ok for brf cakes but I would highly recommend you get a pressure cooker and use that instead... you will definitely need one when you want to move on from cakes.

Either way your cakes have come pre made and pre sterilized so this step is done. It’s important to know how it was done tho. Here is the link to the brf cake and the Pf-Tek section of the vaults...

https://mycotopia.ne...brf-aka-pf-tek/

This should get you pretty familiar with cakes and the Pf-Tek and answer all the questions you might have about it! There is so much info in the vaults on so many different topics I definitely recommend taking full advantage of that juicy archived information :)

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=a-wEPM1wpZQ

So here he is inoculating his jars with the spore syringes and this is where your work with this kit will start. He’s inoculating inside of a Still Air Box (SAB) to try to keep the area as free from contaminants as possible. This part is pretty straight forward... just inject a small amount of spore solution through the holes at the top and let them colonize in a warm area. Honestly room temperature should be fine... let’s try not to get too complicated with incubators and such unless your house is cold as all hell lol

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=zGQok-UnyJE

Here he’s making a shot gun fruiting chamber (sgfc), adding the perlite, birthing, dunking and rolling the cakes and putting them in the fruiting chamber. Your kit comes with a prebuilt fruiting chamber so basically once they are colonized you pop out your cakes, give them a rinse and dunk them for 24 hours to replenish moisture them may have lost during colonization. Then you roll them in dry vermiculite and pop them into your fruiting chamber. I’m not sure how your fruiting chamber works exactly and honestly it’s probably more complicated than it needs to be but I’m sure it will work. If not you can make a more simple one from a storage tote no problem.

Part 4 of the video I can’t find unfortunately but it’s easy as well. Essentially you let your cakes hang out in your fruiting chamber and occasionally fan them... once the cake is ready to do its thing it will start pinning and growing mushrooms. Pick off the mature mushrooms, repeat the dunking step and put the cakes back into the fruiting chamber to get a second flush.

That’s a pretty much the Pf-Tek as simple as I can lay it out... I’m sure I’m missing some minor details but that’s basically it in a nutshell lol there are obviously other fruiting chambers you can use and different methods of casing the cakes or not casing them at all but this is the basic idea. again I would recommend reading all that info in the vaults about cakes and the Pf-Tek... there are tons of threads with questions and answers and lots of full grow logs to learn from.

I hope that helps, man! Hopefully I haven’t confused the hell out of you but if I have let me know and I’ll try to sort it out lol

Much love!
-Ethno

Edit: I just want to say that I wouldn’t personally use a pre built mushroom grow kit. I know you have one and that’s cool you might as well use it but in my opinion it’s a waste of money and it’s much better to learn everything from the ground up and if it fails you can retrace your steps to see where you went wrong. It gives you a better understanding when you prepare everything yourself in my opinion and it’s a much less expensive way of doing it as well. Just thought I’d add that in there :)

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 27 November 2019 - 03:44 PM.

• dial8, Nicked, notfade and 1 other like this

#5 HeavyOntheMental

HeavyOntheMental

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

I really appreciate it, I have watched your videos and a few others since than, and I am fairly confident going into my first grow, Thank you for the solid advice, I can't wait to get started, I plan on updating this post as I work through things the first time.

• coorsmikey, ethnobotanist420 and notfade like this

#6 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

I really appreciate it, I have watched your videos and a few others since than, and I am fairly confident going into my first grow, Thank you for the solid advice, I can't wait to get started, I plan on updating this post as I work through things the first time.

No problem at all man!

Definitely keep us posted... it’s so much fun to watch someone’s first grow (all grows really lol) it’s like I get to relive my first grow right along side you!

Good luck brother :)
  • HeavyOntheMental likes this

#7 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

Thank you so much ethnobotanist420 for the post and the linked videos.

Very informative!

A few questions I have (from a complete noob, so please be gentle):

-The vermiculite looks very fine.  The verm that I am used to seeing is typically more coarse.  Was it ground down, or is finer verm available?

-The tape to cover the inoculation holes... does it HAVE to be that special tape, or are there more accessible alternatives?

-I saw a picture of a fruiting chamber, and from what it looked like, it was just a plastic tote filled with water, and the cakes were just floating on it, with fruiting bodies on top of the cakes.  What are the options for fruiting chambers?

EDIT: -The videos I have seen state that room temperature is about 74+ degrees F.  That's super warm where I am.  My standard room temperature is 71 degrees F.  Is that OK, or should I be looking at an incubator of some sort?

I know, very rando questions... and I am sure I will have more... but I am starting from ground zero and just trying to get my bearings.

Thanks so much.

Edited by SlipperyJack, 02 December 2019 - 07:12 PM.

• ethnobotanist420 and HeavyOntheMental like this

#8 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:08 PM

Hey man!

1. There is coarse and fine vermiculite... it shouldn’t make much of a difference which one you use in my opinion but if you want to grind it down some that shouldn’t be a problem either.

2. For the Brf cakes as long as you have a layer of dry vermiculite on top you honestly don’t really need anything covering the holes if they are nice and small... that being said you can pick up some “medical tape” for cheap as hell and it will do the job great :) The idea is to keep contamination out and the dry vermiculite layer will help with that but micropore tape will do a better job while still allowing some gas exchange. I would find some “3M medical tape” and use that... as far as I know that is actually micropore tape.

3. I wouldn’t do what you are describing with having the cakes float in water... it will end up being a total mess. The idea of a fruiting chamber is simply a clean area that can keep the substrate from drying out and hold the humidity at an ideal level. There are tons of ways to do this... from shot gun fruiting chambers, to monotubs, growbags and even fruiting directly inside the same jar you colonized your spawn in (invitro). Basically the sky is the limit for fruiting chamber deisigns as long as it can stay at the right humidity without leaving puddles of standing water and allow gas exchange. Check out these pages in the vaults to get a basic understanding of what people tend to fruit mushrooms in:

https://mycotopia.ne...oms-terrariums/

https://mycotopia.ne...s-lids-filters/

https://mycotopia.ne...c-chronic-bags/

There should be tons of information in there presented way better than I ever could :)

4. I wouldn’t worry about those temperatures at all especially with Cubensis... room temperature is totally fine!

Hope that helps, man!
Good luck!

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 02 December 2019 - 09:13 PM.

• coorsmikey and Moonless like this

#9 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

SJ, FWIW, I'm also new to growing, and I find this guy's YouTube channel (Arvin FortySeven) pretty interesting:

The guy does not get too particular, which I appreciate, as I am learning what stuff is important and what stuff is just "nice to have". 

Edited by Skywatcher, 03 December 2019 - 10:01 PM.

#10 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:58 PM

Welcome welcome welcome !!! Being only 3 months a newb i can tell you there are no random or dumb question s, just listen to the advice that peeps give especially the OG's. Just friggin chill, don t fret and don't freak out just follow the teks and advice and all should work out. Unless you get a bug and that's par for the course over everyone s farming career...lol. Reading would help though grab the pet Magic for the Masses, it's not to o text booky. It's very straight forward and easy to follow. Every one asks the same question in the beginning but search and the answers are in here. So once again welcome to the family. Good luck and better vibes ¡!!!¡!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!